webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > HP original case defects
HP original case defects
Like Tree7Likes

Old 11/21/2011, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

After several months of usage the HP case that I bought started to deform itself on the button side and USB input (the thin rubber parts). You can see what I am talking about in the picture below. I am now looking for a better case, anyone got an idea what case should I get that allows horizontal and vertical stand with touchstone charging capabilities.

Last edited by TurboTronix; 01/19/2012 at 08:40 AM.
TurboTronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

It is just a case that protects my TouchPad, and it does a nice job of doing that so who cares.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine does the same thing, not the corner though, but I love this case. I have been debating about picking up another one just to have a backup.

Last edited by Squatting Hen; 11/21/2011 at 07:40 PM.
Squatting Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTronix View Post
I haven't used my case, but my friend's has the EXACT same deformations as yours. Not even 2 months old. HP's QC is beyond shoddy. I sent back my TP last week due to speaker cracks and they sent a replacement. This replacement has some kind of air gap between the back shell and the internals so that every time I pick it up I hear little plastic stress creaks as I press the back shell with the pressure of my grip compressing the air gap. This feels like a cheap toy now. Plus this replacement's battery dies in 50% of the time of the old one! I'm angry I sent the stupid thing back to HP.

I'd probably be happier selling off my unopened case and touchstone but I doubt I could get anything worthwhile for em.
guavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine has the same effect (I won't call it an issue), but it's really just cosmetic. It doesn't affect the performance of the case in any way. Ignore it.
PhilSeastrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
It is just a case that protects my TouchPad, and it does a nice job of doing that so who cares.
Yeah, who cares if something you bought -- brand new -- 4 months ago looks and feels like it's 4 years old.
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5, Smartfah, audiodrive and 1 others like this.
Old 11/21/2011, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Someone here had instructions on how to get it to form back.

It involves a hairdryer, heating up those corners, bending it back and then blasting it with cool air.

It worked for me, although I have a bit of bubbling around the power button.
jboucicaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I've heard of people warranty replacing these cases as well. I'm not certain I'd do that, just because it's so minor. Honestly, though, I tried to get it out of the case to see if that heat/bend trick would work, and I couldn't figure out how without risking bending it more in the places i gripped to get it out.. hah
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavaman View Post
I haven't used my case, but my friend's has the EXACT same deformations as yours. Not even 2 months old. HP's QC is beyond shoddy. I sent back my TP last week due to speaker cracks and they sent a replacement. This replacement has some kind of air gap between the back shell and the internals so that every time I pick it up I hear little plastic stress creaks as I press the back shell with the pressure of my grip compressing the air gap. This feels like a cheap toy now. Plus this replacement's battery dies in 50% of the time of the old one! I'm angry I sent the stupid thing back to HP.

I'd probably be happier selling off my unopened case and touchstone but I doubt I could get anything worthwhile for em.
I have both issues, the cracks by the speakers & a deformed case. I've had mine for just over 2 months, and the second I took my TouchPad out the box, I put it right into the case. About a week or two later, the case started to deform near the buttons & USB port. It's progressively got worse & now looks just like the OP's TouchPad case.

Also, about a week or two ago, I noticed a crack near the speaker. It has gotten worse as well, and I would send it back, but I've heard many stories like yours & fear getting a busted up refurb as a replacement. It's a shame man, if I didn't pay firesale prices for the TP & case, I would be furious. I don't understand why quality control didn't catch these issues. I also don't understand why HP decided to make the TouchPad out of plastic. Didn't the Pre- teach them anything?

Even if HP sells webOS, or decides to keep it, I don't think I will stay on the platform. I'm sick of dealing with hardware issues such as these.
Old 11/21/2011, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
Mediocrity is the name of the game for HP and the TouchPad. Mine has the same issues described in the OP. How you can find that acceptable on a $50 accessory is beyond me.
If you spent $50 for it, then you got ripped off.

I paid $29, and has a slight gap around the volume buttons, and the USB port is warped, but it looks like the OP snagged the case on something or has been pulling on it, that's really awful.

I've had both the TP and case since the end of August, and I can't say I've any HW issues.
guinny1759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 02:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

My warping is both around the USB port and the Power button. The USB port was my own fault, snagged the cable on it. No clue on the power button side.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 11/22/2011, 06:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

lol why would I be pulling on it? In fact I never took it off. I got it during the accessory sale but still it has to be noted that the quality is mediocre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post

I paid $29, and has a slight gap around the volume buttons, and the USB port is warped, but it looks like the OP snagged the case on something or has been pulling on it, that's really awful.

I've had both the TP and case since the end of August, and I can't say I've any HW issues.
TurboTronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 08:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
Someone here had instructions on how to get it to form back.

It involves a hairdryer, heating up those corners, bending it back and then blasting it with cool air.

It worked for me, although I have a bit of bubbling around the power button.
Yeah.. it works.
Plastic is.. well.. 'PLASTIC'! It is produced by heating, molding and cooling. It stretches. It has 'memory'.
Heat it, push it back into shape whilst hot.. hold.. and allow it to cool.
All done! Don't burn your fingers!

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post

I paid $25 for it. Doesn't excuse the build quality. It is a case that carries a $50 price tag. Even for $25 that is unacceptable. I have bought my wife generic cell phone cases for $1 that last longer without losing form.

You are right, it isn't a "big" deal. Not like the case is falling apart, but unacceptable nonetheless.
bvbull200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just call HP support and they'll ship a new one to you.... mine started warping/tearing near
the flap.(like rubber coming apart) I called HP and received a new one in just 3 days.

Unfortunately, the replacement case is now showing the same problems. HP said they
would be happy to replace it again, but I decided to look for other cases.
friedscones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

While I kind of appreciate the ingenuity, the idea of having to heat, remold, and cool a $50 case just to make it stop warping and catching on things in a bag is just absurd to me.
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy View Post
While I kind of appreciate the ingenuity, the idea of having to heat, remold, and cool a $50 case just to make it stop warping and catching on things in a bag is just absurd to me.
$50 case?

It was once $49.99. HP.com now sells it for $14.99, delivered.
($19.99 minus $5 coupon, with free shipping) This was as of last Friday afternoon.

Besides, if yours is warped or whatever, HP will just send you out a replacement.
(at least they did it for me twice already) Of course, the next one is just as likely
to warp as the previous one, which why I have given up on asking them to send
me replacement cases. I have found a TPU case on Amazon.
Old 11/22/2011, 06:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Anyone know specifically what number to call to get a replacement? I might as well. And order a couple more while I'm at it.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 11/22/2011, 07:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Anyone know specifically what number to call to get a replacement? I might as well. And order a couple more while I'm at it.
The number that I called was HP webOS Butler 866-945-7256.
Speak slowly and clearly.(97% of the time you will reach someone
in India) Be prepared to give them your Touchpad's serial number,
even if you're just calling about the Touchpad case.
Old 11/23/2011, 06:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

I have similar issues. The deformation occurs at the top right corner near the power button. So dissappointing considering I pay premium for it and own it less than 2 months.
belmont_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0