webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > HP original case defects
HP original case defects
Like Tree7Likes

Old 02/10/2012, 12:24 PM   #41 (permalink)

I haven't noticed any warping yet. Did the warping start when the weather got colder and the air drier?
pctechies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2012, 04:15 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
My case is all warped too. Can the email be shared here or otherwise? I would like to get a replacement if HP will send one.
You need to call them first to get a reference number, then ask for the Email and send it. Call back a few days later, give them the number, and they'll ship you the case. BTW, don't expect a reply from the message, just send the required information.

Quote:
I haven't noticed any warping yet. Did the warping start when the weather got colder and the air drier?
I bought my TP around August 30th, and by September or October the warping started. Right now it's around -40 centigrade, so we'll see what happens. TBH though, I can't see the damage being related to cold dry air.
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 07:20 AM   #43 (permalink)

The case will warp because it's a design flaw.....just like the TP outer shell. Seems like HP didn't even test these things.
Mr.Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2012, 09:58 AM   #44 (permalink)

All 3 of my original cases bought in August have warped around the upper corners around the power and volume and power buttons, as well as the little bump that forms at the USB bridge. I purchased 3 more on amazon a week ago for $16 each intending to replace the originals when they got too bad. The first replacement I noticed is different than the originals. The edge material has more texture to it then the "rubbery" texture of the originals. I don't know if HP made a different style of the case after all the problems with the originals, so I'll see how long the new ones last before they warp.
I would be interested in knowing what others did to get HP to replace theirs.

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
TimBoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2012, 04:31 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
All 3 of my original cases bought in August have warped around the upper corners around the power and volume and power buttons, as well as the little bump that forms at the USB bridge. I purchased 3 more on amazon a week ago for $16 each intending to replace the originals when they got too bad. The first replacement I noticed is different than the originals. The edge material has more texture to it then the "rubbery" texture of the originals. I don't know if HP made a different style of the case after all the problems with the originals, so I'll see how long the new ones last before they warp.
I would be interested in knowing what others did to get HP to replace theirs.
I bought my case back in September, and soon after the upper corner started warping, the hair dryer trick worked for a a while, then it got really bad, to the point that it would only last a couple of days.
I ended up buying a new case when they went on sale a couple of weeks ago. So far no problems with the new case, but just last Friday I decided to contact HP via Chat about the case warranty on the first case. They had me send them a picture, and to fax them a copy of my receipt, which i did via the 3 free pages from PamFax which worked great!, Today I contacted them again, and everything worked out great!, I should be receiving another case in 3-5 days!
rlmnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 03:12 AM   #46 (permalink)

MY case is warped now too and it looks horrendous. Also there is a crack by the speaker, a complete crack where plastic can separate from the case.

Does not speak well for the quality of Hewlett Packard products, their product testing or their research and development.

I could buy a case from some homeless guy in China that was more reliable and long lasting than the official.
John Smith7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 05:20 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith7 View Post
MY case is warped now too and it looks horrendous. Also there is a crack by the speaker, a complete crack where plastic can separate from the case.

Does not speak well for the quality of Hewlett Packard products, their product testing or their research and development.

I could buy a case from some homeless guy in China that was more reliable and long lasting than the official.
.....and the whole time before it was released everybody was complaining about how long it was taking to get released. Maybe they should have waited another year for testing? My case is pretty warped too, my TouchPad has a few cracks in it.....oh well.....it was a first generation product, I was a launch-day buyer.....that's some of the risks you take.

My 4 year old HP w2408 monitor is still holding up well ...knock on wood....so how does that speak for the quality of HP products? What's the usual lifetime of a monitor?

When you do find that homeless guy in China with cases for sale, kindly pass on the info to the rest of us. I'll take one.....my case is good enough.....button areas are really warped...area by the headphone jack is actually missing,...USB input also a piece missing......but I'll check out the new cheapo case.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 05:50 AM   #48 (permalink)

HP TOUCHPAD CLEAR X STYLE TPU GEL CASE / SKIN: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

still a fan of that sturdy little badboy, doesnt cover the front like folio cases but its still damned robust and works with the touchstone, i was going to just get another hp folio case when my old one also warped to bits but after getting this a while ago ill pass.
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 01/30/2013, 03:00 AM   #49 (permalink)

You know what... I think it is grease from the human hand/fingers that is entering, softening and then expanding the plastic compound of which the original HP cases were manufactured.
The gentle application of heat from a flame can shrink and harden it for a while!
Obviously, remove TP from case first, work from the inside of the case.. and take care!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 01/30/2013 at 07:26 AM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2013, 11:54 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
You know what... I think it is grease from the human hand/fingers that is entering, softening and then expanding the plastic compound of which the original HP cases were manufactured.
The gentle application of heat from a flame can shrink and harden it for a while!
Obviously, remove TP from case first, work from the inside of the case.. and take care!

I have had the UK supplied cases on both of my TouchPads since new and haven't had any warping at all. I suspect that HP recognised the problem and corrected it before mine were produced.

BTW, I have a couple of spares which I bought @ 15 each. I could be persuaded to part with them but remember that I am in the UK and postage may be an issue ...

Merry Christmas
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2013, 12:39 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
I have had the UK supplied cases on both of my TouchPads since new and haven't had any warping at all. I suspect that HP recognised the problem and corrected it before mine were produced.

BTW, I have a couple of spares which I bought @ 15 each. I could be persuaded to part with them but remember that I am in the UK and postage may be an issue ...

Merry Christmas
Yes.. I can verify that this seems to be the 'case' - as I also recieved one of those HP Cases from 'Wheel_Nut' (Ex 'Curry's' firesale?) and it has since shown little sign of the usual distortion & swelling etc.
Maybe HP did alter the compound?

Happy NY!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0