Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    does anyone see their HP case not fitting well by the volume/power buttons? Seems to be stretched to me. If no one else sees this, think HP would replace it?
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    mine is the same way, ever since the first time I removed the case a week or so ago. I never really liked the case but it was functional, now its just annoying! I'll have to go back to one of the generic sleeves or cases made for other products that I'd originally bought...

let us know if you go for a replacement and succeed! Thanks Clarice
    I'm sure HP wouldn't replace it - it is an issue inherent with cases like this. It's been reported a ton of times (I have the same issue), but there are ways of heating up those spots with a hairdryer and reshaping.
    I currently have an approved RMA pending (they approved my faxed receipt), but I just can't be bothered sending it in. I'm 95% every case will do it eventually. Poorly conceived and constructed.
    i thought it was just me. actually not really since the pixi touchstone cases sucked too.
    Yes.. heaps. I reckon it's the formulation of the plastic compound at fault.. it is not 'elastic' enough and just stretches instead!

Heating it and pushing it back to form before/whilst it cools works well in my experience. (Pic). Dont burn your fingers though!

HP at least now seem to have stopped trying to charge $50 for this thing, anyway!
    It seems that they were willing to replace for a while.. but perhaps their growing mountain of distorted cases started getting out of hand..?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/26/2011 at 09:02 AM.
    Yup same issue here. If HP had left a thin strip of plastic backing to go around the buttons it would have prevented the stretching but yeah, typical hp build quality.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Have to agree, the quality of the touchpad official case is shocking !
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post

Heating it and pushing it back to form before/whilst it cools works well in my experience. (Pic). Dont burn your fingers though!

did you use a hairdryer? with the touchpad still in the case?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm wondering the same thing, I'm really annoyed that my case is doing this. Should I just take a hairdryer? Did you take the Touchpad out first?
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    did you use a hairdryer? with the touchpad still in the case?
    No, actually I used a high pressure LP Gas 'blowtorch type' cigarette lighter!
    I do NOT recommend this to anyone however!
    I worked from inside the case.
    Hair drier or hot air blowgun would probably be ideal though, yes.

And no, of course I took the TouchPad out of the case first!!!!

Also what really helps is to then push the deformed plastic back PAST its 'original line', so that once it has cooled and when you put the TP back into the case, the formerly stretched areas are actually then sprung and 'pre-stressed' harder against the TouchPad itself.. this really seems to effectively delay the time before it stretches again. Mine's been fine for about a month of use since.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/28/2011 at 03:29 AM.
    I don't think its a defect, more so just a compromise to allow the user to be able to push the buttons while in the case. If you feel around the case you'll notice the all the other edges are reinforced but around the buttons and the charge port. It is definitely poor conception but certainly not "defective"
    Yes poorly designed for sure. Id rather have a defective case than a poorly designed one because then I would at least be able to swap it out for a non defective one under the two year warranty that comes with the thing.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    How are people stretching their case? Taking the TP in and out? I put mine in on day one and have had no problems. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    How are people stretching their case? Taking the TP in and out? I put mine in on day one and have had no problems. Maybe I just got lucky.
    No.. It's to do with the material being thinner around the Power & Volume buttons anyway.. and obviously that's where fingers are most often gripping and shoving and stretching the plastic there also. Who knows, maybe finger grease also affects the plastic?

Perhaps HP did try using a different formulation for the plastic, making it more elastic.. and you got one? Dunno!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/30/2011 at 03:31 AM.
    My gf's case hasn't warped a bit, and she takes it out of it when she puts it in the touchstone. I've never taken mine out of the case, because I can't seem to figure out a way to do it without causing even more warping.

I wonder if the heat generated from the TouchStone ...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    My gf's case hasn't warped a bit, and she takes it out of it when she puts it in the touchstone. I've never taken mine out of the case, because I can't seem to figure out a way to do it without causing even more warping.

Could be. I don't have a TS nor the warping problem.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post

The best way to replace the TP in it's HP case with minimal graunching, is to drop the camera 'end' in first.

The heat from the Touchstone is more likely to cause the hard case to crack.. than the soft case to stretch (particularly only around the Power & Volume buttons) IMO!

I have warping around the power button and I've never taken my TP out of the case. I would recommend using the home button instead of the power button to wake the device.
    Just fixed my case, I found it very easy took - five minutes here are the steps I used.

1 I Removed the Touchpad from the case

2 I heated the corner of the case from the inside using a hair-drier set on hot, I held it about 4-6 inches from the Touchpad.
    My goal was to get the plastic very warm/hot not to melt it, if in doubt about the temperature err on the cooler side and try again. (Note for me with my hair-drier this took only about 20 seconds, driers power/heat will vary considerably)

3 Using two fingers I pressed the edges of the case at the power and volume button down gently towards the base of the case, effectively curling them in. I then held them while they cooled. When cool you want these edges to be slightly bent in so they spring against the Touchpad and are snug. I found pressing the edges in about 1/4" - 1/2" resulted in them keeping about a 1/16" curl in.

None of this is precise and there is the possibility that you could deform and damage your case permanently if you apply too much heat or pressure. So proceed at your own risk.
    However I was surprised how easy it was for me to fix this problem.