Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    hi,

I've basically replaced my Laptop with my touchpad. i have the tp on the touchstone charger for about 15hrs a day. will this charge degrade th battery? is there a sort of failsafe on this tablet to keep from over Charging?
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadph View Post
    is there a sort of failsafe on this tablet to keep from over Charging?
    If there wasn't, you would have already found out. It wont do any damage but I'd work those Li cells (charge/partial discharge cycles) to keep them conditioned.

ps: sick avatar
    keeping Li batteries topped off extends their lives. The chip in the battery stops the charging when it reaches 100% and when the battery drops down to 95% the chip allows the battery to be charged again.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    thanks for the the reassurance fellas. I need not worry about recycling the batteries since i'm out discharging it about twice a week. I was just worried about, A) batteries getting killed, and B) the touchstone life.

neither of which can be replaced after they announced end of life of the TP. I went ahead and ordered 2 more touchstones just in case

OT: every time i look at that morphed pic of myself, i wanna shoot myself in the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    keeping Li batteries topped off extends their lives. The chip in the battery stops the charging when it reaches 100% and when the battery drops down to 95% the chip allows the battery to be charged again.
    Source? My understanding is that the behavior you are talking about was only in the phones. The touchpad from what I recall works differently turning off the battery draw when it reaches full charge and not overcharging nor discharging it. I'll look for a source but I'm pretty sure about this one.

Found it: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...pad-users.html

There is a more direct thread but this has multiple items of interest. Go to the section on keeping the touchpad on the touchstone in the first post and then follow the link. NOTE that the behavior is not specific to the touchstone - the wall charger behaves the same way with devices.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadph View Post
    thanks for the the reassurance fellas. I need not worry about recycling the batteries since i'm out discharging it about twice a week. I was just worried about, A) batteries getting killed, and B) the touchstone life.

neither of which can be replaced after they announced end of life of the TP. I went ahead and ordered 2 more touchstones just in case

OT: every time i look at that morphed pic of myself, i wanna shoot myself in the head.
    zoiks! A zombie... From the walking dead or death valley... Haha