Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Need is simple, hotels have really bad WiFi connections most of the times, but good wired connection in the rooms. Without having to use a PC, is there a wireless router/hot spot available in the market that I can travel with, and have my HP touchpad technically connect to the wired connection in the room, as converted to wireless signals right there? I think the resulting connection will be way better than the WiFi signal already present in the room. I do not need 3G/4G compatibility. Just LAN to WiFi.

Off topic, but kind of not, since the tablet should be able to see the router without having to go through any setup.
  2.    #2  
    Did some search, and found this one - CradlePoint CTR35 Wireless N Portable Router | CradlePoint

For those who may be looking for the same. Any comments on this device?
    You're looking for a "portable wireless router" or a "pocket wireless router" or a "travel wireless router". Many of the wireless router companies make a travel version which will do what you want. Check: Mobile Routers - Portable Wireless Routers for Travel - 802.11g

The CradlePoint you linked to appears to be more geared towards a user plugging in a wireless modem and using that 3g/4g service as the source for your own wireless network.
    Quote Originally Posted by billionaiire View Post
    Need is simple, hotels have really bad WiFi connections most of the times, but good wired connection in the rooms. Without having to use a PC, is there a wireless router/hot spot available in the market that I can travel with, and have my HP touchpad technically connect to the wired connection in the room, as converted to wireless signals right there? I think the resulting connection will be way better than the WiFi signal already present in the room. I do not need 3G/4G compatibility. Just LAN to WiFi.

Off topic, but kind of not, since the tablet should be able to see the router without having to go through any setup.
    I use a ZALip box. nice little thing, picked it up at Microcenter fairly cheap. Has ethernet & USB and can run off battery. (or a 5v connector on back which you oculd get a cable to plug into usb if you wanted to power that way).

Quite nice, lets you also tether a phone or USB WWAN card to it as well. Can be rigged up for ethernet primary & USB secondary (if ethernet fails, it'll fire up your wireless cellular device).
    Personally I would carry a DD-WRT based router with you and have it configured for basic access point use with automatic channel selection. If you are brave you could also setup the router WITHOUT SAVING THE CONFIG from the touchpad if you are in a hotel room without wired and with weak wifi - so that the router was a WIRELESS CLIENT of the existing wifi - this allows the high gain antennas on a router to pick up the existing signal and relay it for your device. You don't want to save the config to the router because if you mess up you would not be able to use it by rebooting.
    I have an older Linksys WTR54GS (no longer made) running DD-WRT. The ASUS WL-330gE regularly goes on sale at Newegg. I'm sure there are others.
    You're looking for a "portable wireless router" or a "pocket wireless router" or a "travel wireless router". Many of the wireless router companies make a travel version which will do what you want. Check: Mobile Routers - Portable Wireless Routers for Travel - 802.11g

The CradlePoint you linked to appears to be more geared towards a user plugging in a wireless modem and using that 3g/4g service as the source for your own wireless network.
    I have one of these. Supports USB cellular radio or wired connection. Note that this model uses an external power supply (included).

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Dan Donovan
    <thread moved>
  9.    #9  
    Excellent information. I just read that Ad-Hoc WiFi connection is not picked up by the HP Touchpad. I hope none of these devices pose this problem, I may be thinking incorrectly here.
    My parents have a Bell 3G USB stick & D-link DIR 412 wireless router - Works great with anything wireless including TouchPads, iPads & laptops. In fact I have used it plugged into a power inverter in my car once. It's fast too, even in rural locations. Anywhere there is cellular coverage.

D-Link DIR-412 Mobile Wireless Router 3G | Wireless Router & Networking

Also, on a different note, there is a program called Connectify that can turn a wired connection into a wireless hotspot. But it involves a Win 7 PC...so no go for your needs.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9739/...th-connectify/
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 11/02/2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added url
    There is no reason you can't just use a standard wireless AP? I've done it a few times when in Japan (crazy fast wired net in all hotels, but never wireless), where I just took my AP over, plugged it in to the ethernet and the wall and away I went.
    I carry this D-Link DWL-G730AP . LAN or Wifi in Wifi out.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I use a d-link model: DIR-601 wired/ wireless router for my touchpad when I am on the road(3 days a week) and works great.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Buy a Veer and use Freetether. A phone and hotspot all in one LOL
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    I tried the Trendnet TEW-654TR (Amazon.com: TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless-N Travel Router Kit TEW-654TR (Black): Electronics). Only issue is that if you travel to Europe/Asia the power adapter is only 120v compatible.

Also there is the Engenius router .. seems to get better reviews at amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/802-11N-Travel.../dp/B003TSZ3IY)
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    Buy a Veer and use Freetether. A phone and hotspot all in one LOL
    Not what he's asking for.
    I bought a cradlepoint 300 trying to connect my blackberry 9650 with it for wireless. I coulg get the Touchpad to link the cradlepoint but never able to get the blackberry to teather to the cradlepoint even though tether is enabled on the phone. Tried lots of versions of firmware on the cradlepoint and only one would even see the phone. But none would allow me to enable it as of yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    I carry this D-Link DWL-G730AP . LAN or Wifi in Wifi out.
    I have the same one, in fact using it at work right on my TP. Plug in to the T1/Ethernet and get WiFi. It's portable, comes with cables, a.c. Power and USB power cable, if you want to power it from a laptop or a USB power source. Easy!
    Asus WL-330gE Wireless Access Point. I own two of them, using them in Ethernet Adapter mode to turn ethernet only devices such as my Blu-Ray player into wireless devices. I've also used it to turn a network printer into a wireless one.

For the situation you describe, you'd use it in Gateway mode, plug it into the wired ethernet port in the hotel room and broadcast the wireless signal. You'd have to configure it first at home using a laptop via USB.

Purchased via amazon.
    Last edited by lunchman; 11/15/2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: rm quote
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I've got an old Airport Express that works great for hotels. Hard to find a router that's more portable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast