Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. brum's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
       #1  
    iPad chargers don't just work on the TP and I had the same problem with my iPad car charger. In the States you can still buy a TP wall charger on HP.com and on eBay BUT these aren't international chargers so I can't use them in Australia.

    The TP Touchstone's I imported from the US have adapters for US and UK but not AU.

    So you'd think a generic charger which can charge the likes of the Galaxy Tab, TouchPad and the Xoom shouldn't be too hard to find? Well you're right:
    For iPad/Galaxy Tab/Xoom 10W USB Power Adapter/Charger - eBay

    TouchPad is not listed but I would guess it would be fine, except it's US only. :[

    So I'm still hunting for a wall charger which will do TP with or without adapter in AU, any ideas?
    Last edited by brum; 10/30/2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Sorry about the aneurysm induced title.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    iPad chargers don't just work on the TP and I had the same problem with my iPad car charger. In the States you can still buy a TP wall charger on HP.com and on eBay BUT these aren't international chargers so I can't use them in Australia.

    The TP Touchstone's I imported from the US have adapters for US and UK but not AU.

    So you'd think a generic charger which can charge the likes of the Galaxy Tab, TouchPad and the Xoom shouldn't be too hard to find? Well you're right:
    For iPad/Galaxy Tab/Xoom 10W USB Power Adapter/Charger - eBay

    TouchPad is not listed but I would guess it would be fine, except it's US only. :[

    So I'm still hunting for a wall charger which will do TP with or without adapter in AU, any ideas?
    Your iPad charger won't work? ...I've used my iPad charger (US version) and car charger too. The car charger won't charge the device since it was for my iPhone but it seems to help maintain the TP charge.

    Shouldn't most USB chargers be inter-changeable with the main difference being the amount of watts that is being generated?

    If I'm wrong someone please correct me as I use my iPhone, iPad and TP wall warts interchange-ably all the time.
    AZTouchpad
    - 32Gb HP Touchpad, Palm Tungsten E, 32Gb iPhone 4, 16Gb iPod touch (1st Gen)
    *...and I think webOS is awesome
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
  3. #3  
    Can't you buy a simple US->AU converter plugs on eBay? I got 20 US->EU plug converters for USD 5,56 incl. shipping

    AU seems to be a little more expensive, but well

    EUR 1,25 incl. shipping
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/US-EU-to-AU-A...item35a3db7a5e
  4. #4  
    I needed an extra charger so bought a 2.3 amp Griffin usb iPad wall charger, works just fine.
  5. brum's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTouchpad View Post
    Your iPad charger won't work? [my] car charger won't charge the device since it was for my iPhone but it seems to help maintain the TP charge. Shouldn't most USB chargers be inter-changeable with the main difference being the amount of watts that is being generated?

    If I'm wrong someone please correct me as I use my iPhone, iPad and TP wall warts interchange-ably all the time.
    iPhone chargers are 1Amp/5Watt as far as I'm aware, iPad ones are 10Amp/10Watt. According to the car charger thread the layout of the wiring in both the TouchPad and iPad chargers have some smart identifying chip in them. My 2A iPad charger only feeds 700mA to my TP.


    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Can't you buy a simple US->AU converter plugs on eBay? I got 20 US->EU plug converters for USD 5,56 incl. 1,25 incl. shipping.
    I've ordered this US/UK/EU to AU AC power plug adapter TRAVEL CONVERTER 92c, still would like to not need a converter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    I needed an extra charger so bought a 2.3 amp Griffin usb iPad wall charger, works just fine.
    Do you get the "device needs more power" warning? If not which one are you using?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
  6. #6  
    The iPad Mains charger will not charge the TouchPad at full rate. It will trickle charge the TouchPad when switched off but very slowly.

    The issue with Mains chargers is the same as that with Car Chargers for the TouchPad. See the thread on Car Chargers in this Forum.

    The USB D+ and D- Lines need to be bridged and a potential divider added with 240K Ohms to +5V and 300K Ohms to Gnd. The iPad Charges have separate potential dividers putting 2.7V on the D- and 2.4V on the D+ lines. Unfortunately, the impedances are too low, being of the order of 51K.

    The solution is to remove the four Surface Mounted Resistors forming the the Potential Dividers and replace them with a single Potential Divider to the bridged D+ and D- Lines. You do have to split the case open but that is easy after you break the first one!

    I have done this on two of the PSUs illustrated and they work perfectly with the TouchPad. The mains plug part is detachable and I have found plugs for USA, UK and European standards. Does Oz have Electricity?

    CAVEAT: Remember that you are working with Mains Voltage and Current that can seriously injure or kill you so unless you are suitably qualified, DON'T dabble with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 11/12/2011 at 06:44 PM.
  7. #7  
    There are many....
  8. #8  
    can't really help with the wall charger other than to suggest a $50 touchstone.
    HP Touchstone Charging Dock - HP Online Store
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelliassen View Post
    There are many....
    Yes, but it is a pity that none of them charge at full rate without modification.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 01/01/2012 at 08:20 AM.

Posting Permissions