1.    #1  
    Obviously this is a somewhat universal case but fits the TP like a glove.

The first thing that jumped to the eyes is the actual quality of the product, the leather and the crafting. You can judge here with this close up of the material and confection.

As of many other tablet cases out there this one has ridges in the cover to allow for multiple viewing angles.

As you can see, home button, camera, power button, volume controls, charging micro USB port, headphones port are all very accessible.

One of the nice things with this case is that the way the device cover is designed allows for the speakers to be completely uncovered, allowing for best possible sound in most conditions.

(Yes I am also plagued with the case cracks around the speakers…)

The reason I ordered this very specific case is the ability to use it in both Landscape and Portrait mode without having to take it out of the case which is not possible with the OEM HP case. Why would someone use a tablet in portrait mode you ask? There are many reasons. Document editing could be one of them, but the lack of very advanced text editors does hardly justify this. The main reason for me is the use of Skype Video conferencing. The camera orientation is not adaptive to landscape mode, hence if you are "skyping" with someone not on a TP, and you are in Landscape mode, you will appear sideways to your interlocutor. (Maybe a camera patch would be in order here… If it does not already exists I have not checked).

An absolutely simplistic idea allows for this. The designers have separated the actual device case from the cover and added a snap to merge the 2 pieces together.

This brings 2 caveats to the case, the 1st one has a workaround the other does not but is at worst annoying.

The 1st caveat is the fact the cover is only attached to the device's case with snap the top part of the cover leans backwards when the device is used at an angle.

The easy workaround for this one is simply to wrap the elastic close-up band around the top of the device case and everything holds together. (can be done in both portrait and landscape mode)

The only worry I have with this is that it stretches the elastic a bit more than just wrapping it up around the case to close it. In time these elastic dry out and it may become too loose sooner than expected. My solution would be then to cut it and install a Velcro band allowing to tighten it more and keep the case working even though the elastic band may be stretched beyond usability.

Caveat #2 however cannot be alleviated.

The snap feature is raising and protruding in the center of the back of the case. It is annoying at worst and has not impacted the usability of the case thus far. Maybe a different type of snap with a thinner design would alleviate this annoyance and increase the case's aesthetic factor.

Now the question that kills for all webOS devices case...

Is it TouchStone compatible?

Obviously not… Even if you remove the external cover, the device case is still too thick to allow the TouchStone contact to enable properly.

However, the area to insert the TP in is closed by a Velcro. This allows for simply and quickly removing the TP from the case, and placing it on the TouchStone dock, way more so than the OEM HP case which you have to fight your TP out of… (The OEM case being TouchStone compatible does reduce those instances, but I find it places the devices in a less solid anchored position on the dock and vulnerable to unwanted falls).

My ratings for this case:
    Quality of Material (Leather, Elastic Band…) 10/10
    Quality of Craftsmanship (Stitching, Glueing..) 10/10
    Quality of design 9.5/10 (.5 was lost due to the thickness of the snap used for the rotational feature)

(Updated) apparently YMMV... I have not have most of the issues stated below but I'm convinced that depending on supplier there could be discrepancy in material used and craftmanship.(they are made in china and from manual labor for sure, so depending on the individual that made yours the same care may not have been applied)
    Overall value vs Price 10/10 (at 15$ (and in most case free shipping) you can't beat the deal).

Hope this helps your quest for a good case for your TP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RICKV; 10/18/2011 at 09:41 AM.
    I've had the brown version of that case for a while now, it gives very good protection and (once I'd removed the metal stud) the inner section works just fine on the TS. Of course that means you can no longer use the outer as a stand but that doesn't bother me and it still fits back together nicely for traveling.

One thing, it's not leather, it's PU or faux leather.
  3.    #3  
    Oh yeah I agree for that price it might not be real leather, but the texture, look and feel of it makes it a high quality material anyhow.

The photos you see in the review have been taken to day and I have had the case for about 2 months now. I use the TP on a daily basis as a work device and it is being heavily used. I have yet to see any wear appear on the case, which to me, makes it a bit irrelevant whether it is real leather or imitation. From my first impression after 2 months use, it might very well outlast the device...
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Hi. I owned this case for over a month so I'd like to offer my opinion.

It's the worse case I've ever owned I'd give it no where near your 10/10. Maybe initially when I got it I'd have given a 7/10 but no, this would get no more than a a 3/10.

Seriously.

The downsides:

The metal button is obviously not to be used with the Touchstone [it'll heat up and melt the leather and Touchpad].

I was very worried by how much the metal actually digs into the TouchPad back, so in the end I removed it and instead bought some velcro tape in it's place. The velcro is good because you can still use the Portrait/Landscape position and it uses less bulk. I thought all was well after that...

However the main other reason is that the inside there is no soft material to protect the actual Touchpad. It's just hard PU leather, very rough. The strap that keeps the Touchpad from falling actually has SCRATCHED my Touchpad. If you take the Touchpad in and out more than 3 or 4 times you WILL see markings and chips corresponding to that strap.

I now only use the outercase as a mousemat and cup mat.

I'm using a Targus Truss case instead because it does everything this case does but alot better - it's soft inside and I can easily remove the Touchpad from the corner straps and place in Portrait mode if needed.
    My version of the case has not marked the TP in any way, the inside is smooth and there are no sharp bits to cause any harm.

The Truss case is fine too but you miss the point if you have to take the TP out of it to use in portrait mode.
    Last edited by Steep; 10/17/2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    One thing, it's not leather, it's PU or faux leather.
    Definitely NOT leather.
    I tried this case and did not like it at all.

The grooves in the cover (the ones that hold the TP in the various angles) weren't deep enough and the TP would constantly flip out of the grooves and lay flat.

I had it set up on my desk at work, and any small bump would cause it to collapse. I'm glad I never had to fly with it and put it on the tray table, it wouldn't have lasted more than a few seconds.

I used it for about 3 days then sold it on eBay.

I switched to the Truss case and I love it. The only downside of the Truss is, like someone said above, it doesn't rotate to portrait view. Most of what I do is in landscape, so it's not a huge issue to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cschaaf View Post
    I tried this case and did not like it at all.

The grooves in the cover (the ones that hold the TP in the various angles) weren't deep enough and the TP would constantly flip out of the grooves and lay flat.

I had it set up on my desk at work, and any small bump would cause it to collapse. I'm glad I never had to fly with it and put it on the tray table, it wouldn't have lasted more than a few seconds.
    Agreed, it's not the most stable of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    My version of the case has not marked the TP in any way, the inside is smooth and there are no sharp bits to cause any harm.
    I guess it'd really depend on the way you use the case, like if you often carry it around in a cramped bag or if there's any hard tiny particles lodged between the securing strap which can be awkward. That and I'd often re-adjust the strap to be tighter [because the Touchpad's would often slip abit] is a disaster for scrubbing in my own scratches.

Plus I like to take the Touchpad out of the case alot because it's already heavy and bulky - I mainly use a case for transportation or as a stand only.

Maybe my version of this ebay case was abit different. Can you check the inner materials for me? The only part that was relatively soft/smooth is the slight matte material on the inside of the front layer that touches the screen/camera, but the back padding and the strap keeping the Touchpad from slipping out is thick PU with a single stitching on the edges. The strap is quite thick which it means the Touchpad never lies flush.
    Last edited by BandanaDan; 10/17/2011 at 08:19 AM.
  9.    #9  
    I have added a note to my original review at the end.

The back of the device holder is made of PU, but is smooth as a baby's skin. I am taking mine out of the case on a daily basis and have no scratches what so ever.

As for the ridges, mine is strongly stable in landscape mode, but less in portrait mode. However, brigning the elastic band over top of the device holder stabilizes the whole thing a whole lot. It is thrue that if you don't use the "band come over" trick it is much less stable in both positions.

As for stability in a plane, heck a flat 20lbs piece of granit would not be stable in a plane... I would not trust that case either. However when flying I would be looking for a thinner less intrusive case like the OEM one which would be very good.

In regards to the snap, at the local sewing shop I found some plastic snap half the thickness of the metal one... I might be brave enough to make the switch and will post results

As I updated in the first post, keep in mind these things are handmade in China... Depending on the individual and materials available there could be huge quality discrepancy... My case is awesome, but YMMV.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Was looking for a review of this case since I found it on eBay for $4.99 with free shipping.

New 360° Rotating Stand Genuine Leather Case Cover for HP Touchpad | eBay

Thanks for the review!
    There is a setting somewhere in a database somewhere for changing the Video Cam orientation. I haven't tried it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    Was looking for a review of this case since I found it on eBay for $4.99 with free shipping.

New 360° Rotating Stand Genuine Leather Case Cover for HP Touchpad | eBay

Thanks for the review!
    it seems to be covering too much edges of the TP, you might find it difficult to swap between apps.