Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I had the keyboard for 2 weeks and the only thing it has been doing is sitting on my desk =/. I can't seem to find a use for the keyboard. The main reason I bought it was because it was cheap (17.50) and that it could be used for other things than the touchpad.

However, I still yet to use even once. It is still in its plastic wrapping just sitting there..

I honestly do not get why HP or any other companies just make a case that has a keyboard in it. Tablets are meant to be portable. They are meant to be used when you are on the go. A keyboard integrated in a case would be useful to me. A separate keyboard is not so useful. I don't plan to be holding my keyboard and tablet everywhere. I would rather be holding a netbook than be holding the keyboard + tablet.

What exactly do people use their keyboard for? Do people actually use their touchpad to do heavy note taking and writing?
    To answer your last question, yes. I quite often don't sit at my computer desk now. I have my TouchPad and keyboard sitting outside on the deck(not so much anymore, it's starting to get cold out), or on the couch. I clean off my screen, and use the keyboard and it doesn't look like a fingerprint keyboard on my screen while I use it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    So I'm guessing you didn't type this message on the touchpad? Or if you did you're a lot better at using the on screen keyboard than I am.
    I bought a tablet so that I could get rid of the physical keyboard.

Granted, writing a novel using the on-screen keyboard would be a PITA, but short e-mails, Facebook statuses/comments, and message board postings aren't too difficult.

(Disclaimer - This was not typed on my Touchpad.)
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    I can use the touchpad without keyboard for most browsing, listening to music, watching movies, lots of stuff. But I just don't get along with the on screen keyboard for more than a little pecking so any real typing more than a couple of lines I find the keyboard very nice to have.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    *que sappy music*Some of us only wanted to write novels... sleepiiee if you smash it apart you will feel warm and fuzzy inside, but send the keys to texasflood to support nerd art.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    *que sappy music*Some of us only wanted to write novels... sleepiiee if you smash it apart you will feel warm and fuzzy inside, but send the keys to texasflood to support nerd art.
    Hah! I am cheap, it would make me sad. Don't think I'll be writing a novel on this thing. It's not the best keyboard I have let me say but it sure beats the on screen one.
    BTW you smashed yours up because you didn't look up your issue

In a semi-related story, I found my key that fell off, and it's back on and working 100%

This message brought to you from my BlueTooth keyboard
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I thought you were talking about the onscreen keyboard, that's the one I find useless.

Not quite, but I hate virtual keyboards. The Touchpad one is decent for what it is, but it's so much slower than a physical one.
    Syndil likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I thought you were talking about the onscreen keyboard, that's the one I find useless.

Not quite, but I hate virtual keyboards. The Touchpad one is decent for what it is, but it's so much slower than a physical one.
    That's what I'm saying!
    I've also paired my keyboard with my PS3, but that's not something I need to do often.
    i only use the keyboard for snes and n64 games
    I actually take notes in class on my bt keyboard. Not having to look at the screen while I type, I can leave the touchpad on my lap or flat on the desk and type while I look at the projector screens. It's pretty nice for me and I would never keep up with the on-screen keyboard!
    First off, I didn't have a use for a tablet in the first place. But when the TP hit the fire sale, I bought one just for the hell of it. I knew it would pretty much be relegated to couch surfing, and it is. I used to just use my phone if I wanted to look stuff up while sitting on the couch, but now I just reach down under the end table for my TP sitting on its Touchstone. That's where it is right now.

Every now and then I load up Communities and start surfing some forums, and if I want to type up a long reply to something, it's nice to have the keyboard available, rather than trying to type it out on the horrible VKB or going back to my office to type it out on the PC.

So yeah, pretty limited use, but it does get used. If I didn't have a TP my netbook would be sitting under that table.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I know I will hardly ever use a keyboard with the TP but I always like trying out gadgets and accessories myself just to see what it is like. I will soon be joining the group of HP keyboard owners and will soon find out if it is useful.
    I spent some time searching and finally got one when HP had them back in stock. I synced it and tried it out for e-mail, web browsing and QuickOffice about 10 minutes and it's just sitting on the desk now. Nice to have for $19.99, but I realistically don't see a use for me.
    I use mine a lot with wIRC. My biggest gripe is webOS doesn't have the ability to switch cards with the keyboard, or scroll webpages. Things like that. If it did, it would be quite nice imo.. Maybe we'll get that if HP ever releases another webOS update *laughs*
    Last edited by Nightburn; 10/09/2011 at 03:01 PM.
    So basically, your complaint is that you don't use it. Isn't that... your fault? For the record, I'm bashing the TP for several issues in my own thread here, but the keyboard is not one of its flaws. It's extremely portable, quick to pair, and I have found it to be absolutely incredible in regular usage. I lug a laptop around with me for work at all times, but I use the keyboard for notes, and it's great.

I have thought about a case with a keyboard in it, but the problem is that your "stand" options are seriously limited with that setup. It's pretty much one way, and that's it. Plus, even if you're just holding it with the keyboard folded back, I can see it being annoying. I do see a value in having them attached, but I don't personally want that.

Regardless, it's the best bluetooth keyboard out there (just check Joshua Topolsky's review of the TP... he says it's one of the only accessories for any product he has EVER reviewed that he actually might buy).
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=sleepiiee;3198372] honestly do not get why HP or any other companies just make a case that has a keyboard in it. Tablets are meant to be portable. They are meant to be used when you are on the go. A keyboard integrated in a case would be useful to me. A separate keyboard is not so useful. ]

I've seen some cases like that on amazon, though not specific to touchpad. However they might still work since I think they are all bluetooth
    The keyboard is really nice and I like the action of the keys. Learning some of the backdoor shortcuts is really cool, thanks precentral.net
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast