Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    So I got a TP touchstone for practically nothing a couple weeks ago and wasn't that impressed. Without one app and a fully set up cloud my touchpad usually had to be plugged into my laptop each night to change files so to unplug it and set it on the TS was an extra needless step. Then about a week ago I got all my computer files fully accessible through my TP which I can tether and now I rarely plug it in. I also downloaded simple clock which is amazing. It gives me a portable dim alarm clock that's also a charger and weather display and is much easier than tiny travel alarms. With those two changes the touchstone has become awesome and a big part of my TP experience, not to mention an awesome standard to push forward.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Where can I pick one up for cheap?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I got it with the double coupon glitch a few weeks ago, now 30ish bucks seems like the best deal and worth it I think if you don't use usb mode very often.
    HP Touchstone Charging Dock for TouchPad - The Electronic Supercenter
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Easily the coolest thing about Palm/HP/webOS is the Touchstone availability. I find myself wishing my HTC phone could use the Touchstone all the time! Having it next to my desk as an alarm clock, like you suggest, is awesome!
    I was shocked to learn from the tech that leaving the TP overnight on the TS will compromise the life of the battery. I guess that leaving at 100% charge is the culprit. HAs anyone heard about this? I have had no problems with my Palm Pre and I have been using the same battery with the TS for well over a year and a half now.

BTW, don't mix up your Palm Pre charging cylinder with your Touchpad charging cylinder, the specs are different. I marked mine so I can easily tell the difference.
    That's why I didn't buy a touchstone, I can't see it being good for the battery. I use my touchpad until the battery is completely dead (almost) and charge it fully every few days.

My wife and I each bought ipod touches about the same time. She charges hers every night and I wait until my battery is in the red. A year and a half later hers needs a new battery and mine is almost as good as new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfong8888 View Post
    I was shocked to learn from the tech that leaving the TP overnight on the TS will compromise the life of the battery. I guess that leaving at 100% charge is the culprit. HAs anyone heard about this? I have had no problems with my Palm Pre and I have been using the same battery with the TS for well over a year and a half now.

BTW, don't mix up your Palm Pre charging cylinder with your Touchpad charging cylinder, the specs are different. I marked mine so I can easily tell the difference.
    That may carry for always leaving it on the TS/charge... But I don't believe that overnight charging will damage it. Li-ion batteries do not need to be deep discharged and do benefit from being topped off. So, how would keeping it topped off be harmful? I don't buy it. There are rumors of this on laptops too. All the engineering specs tell a different story.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    As I understand it, the total useful life span of L-ion batts is dependent soley upon the number of total discharge/charge cycles that it is subjected to.

There is no memory effect in Li-ions. Therefore there is no optimum charge point or cycle or rate.

If you flatten your battery in one sitting (5-6hrs?) and recharge it fully then that is 'one' full cycle.

If you flatten your battery by 50% and recharge it one day and then next flatten it and recharge it by 50% a week later, without an interim recharge.. then this also totals and equals 'one' full cycle.

The same could apply in 10% discharge/recharge increments.. thus x 10 of them would total 'one' full discharge/charge cycle.

Li-ion batts are capable of hundreds of such full cycles.. but I believe when they eventually 'go', they do so comparatively rapidly, though!

I believe they are not too fussy about whether they get a 0.5 Amp or a 2 Amp charge current.. the higher amperage just does it more quickly, that's all.

Li-ions do not like high ambient temperatures and tend to discharge more rapidly when hot. For long-term storage or long periods of inactivity they prefer to be kept cool and at about 40% charged.

Hopefully someone in a year or so's time, is supplying a source of re-packing the HPTP's batts at a reasonable prices.. we may all find we reach 'dead batt' status within a few weeks/months of each other - depending! I reckon there will be a 'rush' on them at this point!
    Maybe HP are prepared for this.. or.. er.. maybe not..

I suppose the only potential 'negative' about the Touchstone charger is the extra heat generated and confined to the TP's case?
    But I don't have a Touchstone to play with.. do they get warm?
    The mains USB charger unit gets pretty warm after an hour or so of 2 Amp current flow!
    But then they don't seem to be cracking as the TP cases are.

Hope this is clear anyway.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/09/2011 at 11:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    As I understand it the average life span of L-ion batteries is usually double the average lifespan of electronics. How many people have really lost a prized device because the battery went bad? Why wouldn't you upgrade by then? I love the TP but in two years I better be using a tablet that turns into a bracelet or dinosaur and has a built in Jessica Alba.
    Stamponephoto likes this.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    As I understand it the average life span of L-ion batteries is usually double the average lifespan of electronics. How many people have really lost a prized device because the battery went bad? Why wouldn't you upgrade by then? I love the TP but in two years I better be using a tablet that turns into a bracelet or dinosaur and has a built in Jessica Alba.
    Are you waiting on iPad3@$99? Hope there will be another fire sell in 2 years so I can upgrade my TP.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Huh? Yes, seeing another mega-corporation flounder causing large layoffs in two years would be totally sweet. I'm just hoping there will be some new tablets/phones with web os in the future...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfong8888 View Post

I have never heard this, ever; in fact, I heard quite the opposite, when JR talked about the TS for WebOS devices on several occassions.

I suggest that you verify this with whomever told you this at HP/Palm, and post that verification here... me thinks you got some bad information, but, in case its true....

That would be a huge disadvantage for using the TS - it was designed for keeping the TP on it whenever it is not being used to stay totally charged for long trips, and this would be quite detrimental to that end, for all TS/WebOS devices.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I have never heard this, ever; in fact, I heard quite the opposite, when JR talked about the TS for WebOS devices on several occassions.

I suggest that you verify this with whomever told you this at HP/Palm, and post that verification here... me thinks you got some bad information, but, in case its true....

That would be a huge disadvantage for using the TS - it was designed for keeping the TP on it whenever it is not being used to stay totally charged for long trips, and this would be quite detrimental to that end, for all TS/WebOS devices.
    You've got to admit though that one of the most evil ploys a corporation could do would be charging us extra to add planned obsolescence
    Last edited by bable; 10/13/2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

Not to thread jack, but I love that silver burst LP you have for your avatars. I couldn't afford a silver burst, but picked up a limited run sapphire blue metallic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    As I understand it, the total useful life span of L-ion batts is dependent soley upon the number of total discharge/charge cycles that it is subjected to.

There is no memory effect in Li-ions. Therefore there is no optimum charge point or cycle or rate.

If you flatten your battery in one sitting (5-6hrs?) and recharge it fully then that is 'one' full cycle.

If you flatten your battery by 50% and recharge it one day and then next flatten it and recharge it by 50% a week later, without an interim recharge.. then this also totals and equals 'one' full cycle.
    The only problem with that according to battery gurus is that fully discharging a L-ion battery is damaging to it physically and can shorten its life noticeably, as compared with regular top up charging.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    So half say this and half say that... When did science become so opinion based?
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    So half say this and half say that... When did science become so opinion based?
    when Bigfoot proved global warming
    Bigfoot's no scientist, he's never published anything!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    He's published, he foot"printed" on the earth! Only once though, which is weird for a biped...
    Last edited by bable; 10/15/2011 at 10:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cchase231 View Post
    when Bigfoot proved global warming
    You mean Al Gore, right? (same thing I guess)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast