Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    because of the higher current rating, it charges your cell phone really quickly! Try it if you have not done so already!
    Quote Originally Posted by manjazz123 View Post
    because of the higher current rating, it charges your cell phone really quickly! Try it if you have not done so already!
    ...and shortens your battery life most likely in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by manjazz123 View Post
    +100
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    it does shorten the battery life. I have been playing with that and it drains as fast as it charges. I wouldn't recommend using the tp charger on your pre unless you have to. I ordered a couple new batteries from Amazon so I figured I'd see what happened. Fast charge and fast drain.
    There's a reason the charger that came with the phone has a specific voltage/amperage and it's not to be exceeded.
    What if you have the touchpad charger plugged into a phone's touchstone? Would that also charge faster and potentially reduce battery life?
    All batteries designed for electronic devices are designed for quick charging usually .30 - 1 hours for 80% charge then complete charge in 2-3 hours, or something similar. What shortens battery life is over charging not quick charging.

battery myths vs battery facts - free information to help you learn the difference

although I would use the charger designed for the phone as it was made specifically to charge the device.

Tim
    USR Pilot 1000>Palm III>Sony Clie PEG-NZ90>Palm Centro>Palm Pre- >HP Touchpad
    Whether you use the original Pre charger or the TP charger it will not decrease the charging time for your Pre battery. The TP AC charging device is "capable" of delivering a higher current output, but only if the charging device is capable of drawing the current. The battery just accepts what the charging circuity sends to it. The TP charging circuity draws more current (amperage) from the AC charger which the Pre charger cannot deliver.
    mibaksh and Jozz like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    Whether you use the original Pre charger or the TP charger it will not decrease the charging time for your Pre battery. The TP AC charging device is "capable" of delivering a higher current output, but only if the charging device is capable of drawing the current. The battery just accepts what the charging circuity sends to it. The TP charging circuity draws more current (amperage) from the AC charger which the Pre charger cannot deliver.
    This.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by r_wright1 View Post
    There's a reason the charger that came with the phone has a specific voltage/amperage and it's not to be exceeded.
    For voltage, as long as you are within 10% tolerance you're good. Also for current, it's how much the adapter can supply, phone draws as much as it needs.
    The TP adapter is slightly higher in voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    The TP adapter is slightly higher in voltage.
    That would make a difference. I was assuming the output voltage of the Pre and TP AC chargers were the same. Anyone know what they are? I guess I could put a voltmeter on them and measure when I get home.
    That would make a difference. I was assuming the output voltage of the Pre and TP AC chargers were the same. Anyone know what they are? I guess I could put a voltmeter on them and measure when I get home.
    5.2V I think if memory serves correctly.

Which goes back to my point about +/- 10% is OK.
    TouchPad charger specs:

Wall AC to USB power adapter, which has input specifications of 100-240 Volt 50–60*Hz 0.4 Amp AC, and output specifications of 5.3 Volt 2.0 Amp DC. It is cylindrical roughly the size of a "D" battery with a foldable 2-prong AC connector and Standard-A USB socket on its two ends.

HP TouchPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palm Pre Charger specs:
    : Palm Pre Battery Recharger
    Options
    07-08-2009 06:54 AM

From the Pre user guide:*
    Power Specifications:
    Use only Palm-approved power accesories such as AC-power adaptors and batteries.
    Unauthorized and non-approved batteries will not operate with a Pre phone.
    AC power adapter source: Palm
    Part number:* 157-10108-00 / 157-10114-00
    Input rating: 100-240 Vac, 50/60HZ, 0.2A
    Operating rating: 5Vdc, 1000mA
    AC power adapter source: Palm
    Part number: 1057-10124-00
    Input rating: 100/240 Vac, 50/60 HZ, 0.2A
    Output rating: 5Vdc, 1000mA

Palm Pre Battery Recharger - Support Community

There's the difference.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    .3 volts is not a significant difference. Both voltages are within the tolerance allowed of the other.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    .3 volts is not a significant difference. Both voltages are within the tolerance allowed of the other.
    Pretty much what I was getting at, however notice the amps. Pre charger is 1, TouchPad is 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
    Nope, actually lengthens your battery life by keeping its LIion battery topped off (thats what they like). Want proof? My Pre battery is over 2 years old and has spent 90% of its life on a TS charger either on my night stand/car/office desk and it is still going strong.
    works on iphone as well... I used the 30pin btw with the plug
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Pretty much what I was getting at, however notice the amps. Pre charger is 1, TouchPad is 2.
    I just needed a couple of extra words to understand why you said 'notice', is that good or bad - why?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
  20.    #20  
    I'm using the touchpad charger to charge my blackberry. I notice a pretty big difference in charging speed and it hasn't reduced my battery life nor make it drain quicker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast