1.    #1  
    So, I've been really getting into my Touchpad, but I felt there were a few things I was missing to really enjoy it.

I went ahead and made 2 of those things, and wanted to share them with you guys and gals, and hope that some of you share some accessory hacks of your own.

------------------------------------------------

Firstly, we have something that I really wished the official HP Touchpad case had come with: a simple elastic strap to keep the flap of the case in place.

Luckily, this is a very very simple addition that requires nothing but some elastic (preferably black, but, as you'll see from my photos, I only had white lying around.

To do this, all you need to do is take your Touchpad out of it's case and then put part of your elastic down so that the end would be under the Touchpad by 1 or 2 inches, but the rest would fold back over the face of the device. (I put mine next to the power button so that it wouldn't interfere with the velcro flap on the back, would be close enough to the edge to be useful, and wouldn't interfere with pressing the power button, or press it on it's own)

Put that end of your Touchpad into the casing, but leave the other side free.

Pull the other side of the elastic around the back of the case, pulling it as taught as you can.

Slide this end of the elastic under the Touchpad and into the HP case, pushing the Touchpad down into place as you do so. (the elastic may give a little as you do this, but if you pulled it really tight, you shouldn't have a problem)

Now, close the flap and pull the elastic around the edge of the case so that it comes across the flap in the front.

Move the edges as needed so that it runs in a straight line on.

When you open your case, flip the elastic over the edge to the back of the case. You can secure the flap with it, or leave it alone and use the velcro piece to create your stand.

Alternately, you could probably use a little tape to hold the elastic down, but I haven't had any trouble with mine over the past week, and didn't want to risk getting gunk in my case or on my Touchpad.

(I wasn't quite sure how to explain that, hopefully you get the picture)

------------------------------------------------

Secondly, we have something that I find particularly useful when I reading my RSS feeds or surfing the web while eating lunch or when I'm using an app like Just Draw: a simple capacitive touch stylus.

Now, I'm on my second, more refined version of a capacitive touch stylus, but you can make one super simply with just a ballpoint pen, some wire, and a sponge. (be sure you test transmission between the wire, the sponge, and your screen before going through the trouble of making your stylus, I managed to find out that several different styles of sponge we had in our kitchen did not transfer enough current to make the screen react)

Instructions can be found here: iLearn Technology Blog Archive Make your own iPad Stylus for less than 10 cents! (you can obviously use however much wire you want, and could even run it all the way down the barrel of the pen, then wrap it around and come back down the other side, giving you a much larger area that can be gripped)

My new version of the stylus uses an old Xacto knife metal body I had lying around from my days as an art student.

If you remove the blade and unscrew the connector, you can remove the grip and attach a sponge to the nib with electrical tape and then screw the nib back on. (I wasn't able to replace the grip, but hopefully my next version will use less sponge and less tape so that I can put the grip back on, making a much more attractive final product)

It works great on my Touchpad, Droid X2, and iPod Touch, as well as my friend's iPad, and my girlfriend's iPhone. (though it does seem slightly less responsive on the Touchpad)

I've attached images, but the Xacto knife one should be pretty straightforward: It's a conductor, so put a sponge on the end and you've pretty much got it.

I will note, though, each stylus appears to have a "sweet spot" of sorts on the Touchpad and it takes a little getting used to, but after half an hour or so, it's quite great.

I also shoved a safety pin into the nib of another Xacto knife and put the sponge on it's head, giving me a much thinner stylus nib that I use when I'm doodling in Just Draw or the Doodle widget in Glimpse. It doesn't seem to work quite as well when surfing the web or typing, but since the Xacto nibs just screw in, I can quickly switch between my two stylus nibs.

I also took the left-over sponge and created a little carrying case with space cut out for my stylus and two nibs and then put the cloth that came with the Touchpad in there, too. It's an old gift-card tin of some sort, but I'm sure you could use an Altoids can, might need to lay the stylus in at an angle, though.

Sorry for how long this was, but hopefully some of you found it interesting. Please share some of your own accessory hacks/modifications/creations/whatever you want to call them with us.

EDIT: Sorry for the photo quality, was using my phone in a dim office, didn't feel like finding the digital camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cool. I got my mom to sew an elastic band into a loop. That way there's no chance of slippage. I'll have to try the stylus hack.
  3.    #3  
    I think once I get some black elastic I may move to a more permanent solution.

Not attaching it was a way of testing it out to make sure it was really as practical as I thought it was.

I didn't think about using a sewing machine and stitching it in.

Is yours stitched to the outside or the inside of the case?
    I used a 1 inch black elastic band from the 99 cent store (cost $1.19) and cut an appropriate length the ends of which my mother sewed together. You can use it as you describe by placing it under the TP or you can just use it on the outside of the case to keep it closed. Not necessary to mar the case.