1.    #1  
    Both of my Touchstones came with ac adapters that emit a high pitch buzzing sound. The ones that came with my Touchpads do not make this sound. Just wondering if the Touchstones got stuck with the bunk adapters or something. Good luck getting HP to just send you an ac adapter, they require that you send in your entire TS. I have little faith that another adapter would not make this noise. Is this okay to use like this?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    are they the same kind as the touchpads? that have part of the cylinder you can unscrew?
    One of mine does the same. From my experience they are doing this noise when they don't have any energy consumers connected. Just unplug them.

This sound is not uncommon for AC adapters. Had a couple of Nokia adaptors that did the same. It means that some of the capacitors are vibrating. On motherboards people fix this by glueing them to the board. At least that's how I remember it.

The new ones are nearly the same as the old ones. They put out more amperes and have no "Palm" logo. The basic design is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    are they the same kind as the touchpads? that have part of the cylinder you can unscrew?
    They are the same.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    One of mine does the same. From my experience they are doing this noise when they don't have any energy consumers connected. Just unplug them.

This sound is not uncommon for AC adapters. Had a couple of Nokia adaptors that did the same. It means that some of the capacitors are vibrating. On motherboards people fix this by glueing them to the board. At least that's how I remember it.

The new ones are nearly the same as the old ones. They put out more amperes and have no "Palm" logo. The basic design is the same.

They are the same.
    Mine buzz even when the TP is plugged in and charging. So it's not buzzing just because nothing is consuming energy.
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjagrrl View Post
    Good luck getting HP to just send you an ac adapter, they require that you send in your entire TS. I have little faith that another adapter would not make this noise. Is this okay to use like this?
    Have you actually talked to them about this?

Then, have you tried using the adapter that came with your TouchPad with the TS?

Is touchpad in any type of case? Are you certain the noise is coming from the AC adapter and not the TS? Is the noise happening with the TP on and off the TS? There have been reports of phone TS buzzing when phone is on TS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    You want to be careful with this. Power supplies that are wearing out and going bad also often buzz and get HOT while they are running. I've never had one actually catch on fire, but put your hand on the adapter after it has been on a couple of hours and charging the TP...a little warm is normal, but if it seems very hot, like you wouldn't want to hold it in your hands for 5 minutes without it being uncomfortable - then it definitely needs to be replaced. If it was me and it was already buzzing a lot right out of the box, I'd send them back and get new ones. A buzzing adapter is one that is likely going to fail prematurely, even if it works ok for six months or so. They aren't supposed to be noisy if they were put together right.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamw23 View Post
    A buzzing adapter is one that is likely going to fail prematurely, even if it works ok for six months or so. They aren't supposed to be noisy if they were put together right.
    That is incorrect. What you are hearing is the power supply operating on an audible frequency or the coil's laminations vibrating on a subharmony of that frequency. That's a side effect of a much less expensive build, but not necessarily lower-quality or malfunctioning parts. All switched-mode power supplies "sing", just many of them very silent and/or out of your hearing range. And in some instances, "singing" is even characteristic: You've certainly heard a photo camera "sing" when charging its flash.
    Last edited by d12r; 11/03/2011 at 07:01 PM.