• 4 Post By tboy2000
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By sakamano
  • 1 Post By jboucicaut
  • 1 Post By tboy2000
  • 5 Post By snowwhitie
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    So it is quite popular (sadly) that the rubber case is warping and bowing out around the power and volume keys and USB port. Mine was quite bad. This is because the rubber is thinner in those areas.

Here is a temporary/long term fix. I have applied it to my case and so far it is staying flush against the TouchPad.

Get a hairdryer and heat the problem areas but at the same time as heating, ROLL the warped edges INWARDS. The tighter the roll curl the better. Be careful not to burn your fingers from the heat. Occasionally blast it with cold air as you keep it rolled. Try to keep it rolled up for 20 seconds allowing it to cool as you do so, before letting go. Those edges will now look quite odd now as they are bent inwards but when you put the TP back in the case, it pushes the edges out and keeps those warped edges flush against the case.

There is a knack and technique to doing it. I didn't know if it would work so I gave it a go and was surprised it did.

Good luck!

(Mods: I may have posted this in the wrong forum so please feel free to move it to the accessory forum instead)
    Good idea for getting the case reworked

<thread moved>
    howi likes this.
    tboy2000,

Hi, thanks for your inspiration.

Mine finally gets worse to the point that I cannot stand anymore. So I have bought a new one and immediately modify the old one with your idea at corner around the buttons. And, I go one step further with the 2 cut-outs i.e. USB and Headphone jacks... I cut off the elongated parts! One good side effect is my Shure headphones plug in properly as well as one of my USB cables.

My theory is that the rubber may have expanded unevenly, so those thinner / softer area would start to warp. Anyway, this is the DIY way as we take this matter in our own hands. While I suggest other unhappy campers to try, it may not work or our solutions are just temporary.

Once again, thank you.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    my exact fix, i just cut out the holes completely and it looks better than it did before
    howi likes this.
    Just did it and got the corner where the buttons are back to normal.
    howi likes this.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Brilliant! :-) :-) :-)
    howi likes this.
    Thanks for this. I was going to attempt it but its good to see someone else with results.

Now to find a good method for re-enforcing the smeaker cut outs to prevent crack spreading...
    Mine only warps out at the top directly above the camera. Not enough to bother with trying to fix.
    Ok, i did the heating thing and my touchpad screen melted.

j/k...Yeah I did take my touchpad out when I did this
    and its back to normal good find!
    Sohan24, colmiak, brum and 2 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    Thanks for this. I was going to attempt it but its good to see someone else with results.

Now to find a good method for re-enforcing the smeaker cut outs to prevent crack spreading...
    I got tired of return & exchange, so I sealed the cracks with some model cement. As soon as that was good to go, I had a full sheet of BodyGuardz screen protector for the TouchPad. I do not use it on the screen. I custom cut some pieces that exactly fit the areas around the openings of the speakers, and extend out until the edge of the screen, and a bit up the back. I cut full length pieces that go from one end to the other (speaker to speaker) to try and get as much continuous support as possible. Since I use the folio at all times, I was not concerned with the seam it would create on the back of the device. Also, you can clean up rough cuts around the speakers with an exacto knife, or fresh box cutter razor. Just be careful not to slip or position the blade too deep....

I have not had a single crack appear or spread since doing this. I only wish I could have done the BodyGuardz custom cuts prior to my cracking. Anyway, worked for me at least, so hopefully it helps someone else.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Is this solution for fixing warped cases or is it for new cases so the warping problem doesn't happen?
    Is it possible to get some pictures of the "fixed" case vs the normal case?
    Just to let you know, I've used the technique above to fix the warped case, around 9 months old now with near daily use.
    Was warped in a similar way to the above photos and now looks as good (almost) as new... Its definitely not as loose and has firmed up and hugs the edge of the TP just like the other corner, with just a little uneven-ness, which I don't really notice.

I'll see how long it lasts, but I've got a spare in the house and also a replacement coming from HP for this one so not really worried!

TP has come in so handy, saved us buying another cheap as chips laptop to surf on while the main comp is in use and I use for work, and used it several times for travel... The case has saved it from scrapes and bumps umpteen times so not really bothered that I've had to apply a bit vidal-sasoon to fix it!

cheers to the op ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnax View Post
    Just to let you know, I've used the technique above to fix the warped case, around 9 months old now with near daily use.
    Was warped in a similar way to the above photos and now looks as good (almost) as new... Its definitely not as loose and has firmed up and hugs the edge of the TP just like the other corner, with just a little uneven-ness, which I don't really notice.

I'll see how long it lasts, but I've got a spare in the house and also a replacement coming from HP for this one so not really worried!

TP has come in so handy, saved us buying another cheap as chips laptop to surf on while the main comp is in use and I use for work, and used it several times for travel... The case has saved it from scrapes and bumps umpteen times so not really bothered that I've had to apply a bit vidal-sasoon to fix it!

cheers to the op ;-)
    How do you go about getting a replacement from HP?

I am on my second case and this one warped a lot faster then my first, (top right corner and right side)
    Why bother, they are only $4.99 new.

HP TouchPad Case | HP® Official Store