Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    So this whole setup costs about 40$ on Amazon with everything prime worthy, the most expensive part is the battery pack which is 20$ and can be optional. Simply plug everything in, have a media/internal/usb folder already created, and mount the new device. USB and SD cards should be cake, I'm working to get support for cameras and wifi cards too.

I've tested every drive I have(flashdrives, sdcard readers, external HDD) and the TP can handle anything but NTFS with full read/write abilities, however, NTFS can be handled through chroot so it's moot.

This plugs into the touchpad
    Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / Nokia N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics

This plugs into that and lets you have two male USB(one power, one device or hub)
    Amazon.com: USB A Male to Male Power and Sync Y Cable for 2.5 inch Drives: Electronics

This easily outlasted lawrence of arabia playing off a flash drive
    Amazon.com: Duracell - Powerhouse Charger, Universal Cable w/USB & Mini-USB: Office Products

This let me plug in two flash drives, an sd card reader, and a wifi cards all fully powered from the battery pack.
    Amazon.com: Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub F5U407: Electronics

This helps everything connect
    Amazon.com: Bluecell 3 Pack USB Female to Female Type A Coupler Adapter + Bluecell Cable Tie: Electronics

Here's the full setup without any aesthetic work yet, soon I'll make it about the size of a card deck and cut down the stray wires.
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t/DSC04768.jpg

After it's all set up make a folder at media/internal and name it usb. Then type "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb" into xterm and as long as there aren't any errors you can navigate to the folder you made earlier in internalz or chroot file manager for copy/pasting/listening/playing/etc!

I have four friends using this setup without a hitch, one person has claimed the OTG cable didn't work for them but it seems very isolated. Enjoy plugging 64 gigs worth of movies in, or loading you camera pics straight into your TP
    Last edited by bable; 09/24/2011 at 10:44 PM.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    That OTG cable did not fit into my TouchPad without taking off the HP case.

I was able to use the Motorola OTG camera kit cable ($20) plus a usb hub that was plugged into AC (Kensington domehub) and that meant I did not need a y cable or external battery.
    The other OTG cable that you refer to did not work with the kensington domehub or with a y cable for me.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    That OTG cable did not fit into my TouchPad without taking off the HP case.

I was able to use the Motorola OTG camera kit cable ($20) plus a usb hub that was plugged into AC (Kensington domehub) and that meant I did not need a y cable or external battery.
    The other OTG cable that you refer to did not work with the kensington domehub or with a y cable for me.
    Weren't you in that other thread? Are you a Motorola rep? I looked over reviews and the Motorola cable does not do well, whereas you're the only person I've heard having issues with this OTG. I watched my buddy plug it into a hp cased TP this morning so I think your issues were isolated.
    Last edited by bable; 09/21/2011 at 03:40 PM.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I'm an *****. I can't get xterm to launch. I start xecutah and tap on "Start xterm". Nothing happens. Xterm is definitely installed. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
    I'm an *****. I can't get xterm to launch. I start xecutah and tap on "Start xterm". Nothing happens. Xterm is definitely installed. Any ideas?
    Not an *****, just uninitiated. Open xserver first, then xterm, then it will launch in the xserver window just like ubuntu does.
    If you don't mind waiting for it wouldn't this be cheaper?
    Premium New Micro USB Host Mode Cable OTG for Nokia N810 N900 | eBay
    $1.89 vs $15

Why would you plug in two flash drives, an sd card reader, and a wifi cards at the same time? Does the TP recognize the 2 flash drives and SD plugged in at the same time?
    The TP already has wi-fi built in.
    Last edited by gergev; 09/22/2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Weren't you in that other thread? Are you a Motorola rep? I looked over reviews and the Motorola cable does not do well, whereas you're the only person I've heard having issues with this OTG. I watched my buddy plug it into a hp cased TP this morning so I think your issues were isolated.
    ?? Grow up.
    Glad it worked for your buddy, it did not work for me. In addition, I needed to take the HP case off. If you are trying to help people, you need to take all information into account, having a few buddies and looking over reviews is not enough as TouchPad is a new product. There is a $5 shipping and handling fee for your cable on Amazon.

Motorola OTG worked fine.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    ?? Grow up.
    Glad it worked for your buddy, it did not work for me. In addition, I needed to take the HP case off. If you are trying to help people, you need to take all information into account, having a few buddies and looking over reviews is not enough as TouchPad is a new product. There is a $5 shipping and handling fee for your cable on Amazon.

Motorola OTG worked fine.
    You needed to take the case off for it not to work? Sounds silly. Why bicker over cables? You've made it clear that the xoom cable might not be perfect and may even be subject to manufacturing errors but you provided an alternative, thank you.

What have you been using your motorola cable to do? My friends kids have been loving audiophile with 300 gigs of music to mix up
    You needed to take the case off for it not to work? Sounds silly. Why bicker over cables? You've made it clear that the xoom cable might not be perfect and may even be subject to manufacturing errors but you provided an alternative, thank you.

What have you been using your motorola cable to do? My friends kids have been loving audiophile with 300 gigs of music to mix up
    Your tone is slightly better, good job, but still needs improvement. I've been on this board for some years and you are only the second rude poster I've encountered.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    bluenote, you seem full of judgement and weird expectations. I wash my hands of you.

Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    If you don't mind waiting for it wouldn't this be cheaper?
    Premium New Micro USB Host Mode Cable OTG for Nokia N810 N900 | eBay
    $1.89 vs $15

Why would you plug in two flash drives, an sd card reader, and a wifi cards at the same time? Does the TP recognize the 2 flash drives and SD plugged in at the same time?
    The TP already has wi-fi built in.
    That's totally cheaper, I just posted a setup that I knew worked for most people and had fast shipping. I plugged everything in at once to test the powerpack/hub but I do mount two USBs fairly often(1 music/1 work docs). The built in TP WiFi doesn't support package injection, with a usb wifi wireless adapter and chroot the possibilities skyrocket for greyhat fun
    Last edited by bable; 09/22/2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Do you have to mount the usb drive no matter what or is that just to be able to watch movies from the usb drive? All i need it for is to hook up a dig camera
    So this whole setup costs about 40$ on Amazon with everything prime worthy, the most expensive part is the battery pack which is 20$ and can be optional. Simply plug everything in, have a media/internal/usb folder already created, and mount the new device. USB and SD cards should be cake, I'm working to get support for cameras and wifi cards too.

I've tested every drive I have(flashdrives, sdcard readers, external HDD) and the TP can handle anything but NTFS with full read/write abilities, however, NTFS can be handled through chroot so it's moot.

This plugs into the touchpad
    Amazon.com: Micro USB Host Cable (OTG Cable) - Xoom, Galaxy S2, Nokia N810 / Nokia N900, Toshiba TG01, Archos G9. New Version with more accommodating "L" shaped connector! - Better than Motorola Camera Connection Kit!: Electronics

This plugs into that and lets you have two male USB(one power, one device or hub)
    Amazon.com: USB A Male to Male Power and Sync Y Cable for 2.5 inch Drives: Electronics

This easily outlasted lawrence of arabia playing off a flash drive
    Amazon.com: Duracell - Powerhouse Charger, Universal Cable w/USB & Mini-USB: Office Products

This let me plug in two flash drives, an sd card reader, and a wifi cards all fully powered from the battery pack.
    Amazon.com: Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub F5U407: Electronics

This helps everything connect
    Amazon.com: Bluecell 3 Pack USB Female to Female Type A Coupler Adapter + Bluecell Cable Tie: Electronics

Here's the full setup without any aesthetic work yet, soon I'll make it about the size of a card deck and cut down the stray wires.
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t/DSC04768.jpg

After it's all set up make a folder at media/internal and name it usb. Then type "mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb" into xterm and as long as there aren't any errors you can navigate to the folder you made earlier in internalz or chroot file manager for copy/pasting/listening/playing/etc!

I have four friends using this setup without a hitch, one person has claimed the OTG cable didn't work for them but it seems very isolated. Enjoy plugging 64 gigs worth of movies in, or loading you camera pics straight into your TP
    Found a "go crazy" site that may have it all...

Welcome to Usb.brando.com

Flat rate $3 shipping, numerous adapter options.

I'm looking at the Mini-B/Micro-B adapter to test out tethering with my iPaq 914c...
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    you do have to mount it each time but if you press the up arrow in xterm you can go through past commands without typing them out. I've also talked to few devs who agree that an app that's just a mount button would be a breeze so that might come out if enough people ask for it. You'll probably need to use a scared reader since cameras usually require drivers.
    you do have to mount it each time but if you press the up arrow in xterm you can go through past commands without typing them out. I've also talked to few devs who agree that an app that's just a mount button would be a breeze so that might come out if enough people ask for it. You'll probably need to use a scared reader since cameras usually require drivers.
    Thanks for the insight, research, this thread.

I'm a 30 yr+ IT type, but coding is way back in my past, and have never 'done' any flavor in Unix, etal.

Until some dev makes a 'push button' ...

Please spell it exactly (full syntax):
    -- what is needed to make the entry in the TP USB directory -- using Internalz
    -- what are the steps to mount the 'drive' using Xecutah
    -- include step by step everything a novice would have to do.

I have all the pieces enroute -- but would greatly appreciate a 'script' to guide me (as would others IMHO).

THANKS in advance
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbackdave View Post
    Thanks for the insight, research, this thread.

I'm a 30 yr+ IT type, but coding is way back in my past, and have never 'done' any flavor in Unix, etal.

Until some dev makes a 'push button' ...

Please spell it exactly (full syntax):
    -- what is needed to make the entry in the TP USB directory -- using Internalz
    -- what are the steps to mount the 'drive' using Xecutah
    -- include step by step everything a novice would have to do.

I have all the pieces enroute -- but would greatly appreciate a 'script' to guide me (as would others IMHO).

THANKS in advance
    HELP, PLEASE.........

Created media/internal/usb using Internalz
    Ran Xecutah and started xterm
    Xterm displays: "root@HHTouchPad:var/root# " followed by the cursor

When I enter: "mount dev/sda1/media/internal/usb" I get error indicating my mount string cannot be found - most likely because I was not in the right place -- yes??

Please, help me either of 2 ways:

-- give me the xterm commands to make this work
    or
    -- point me to Unix primer that will let me learn for myself -- this old dog can learn new tricks or relearn old pc dos command line skills in a new language / dialect.

Dave
    between sda1 and /media is a blank missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Thanks - will use that - should have inspected op's command line better and not assumed line split DOH!
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    OK tried the corrected string and this is my results:

-- case a: SD card with a 3 tiered directory structure off loaded from WinXP system:
    --- failure, could not locate

-- case b: new out of box thumbPrint 8g
    --- command executed (at lest I think it did - returned me to prompt w/o error message
    -- used Internals to try navigate and did not know how to find it
    -- stupid me trying to do command stuff w/o training

-- case c: another cleans out of box 8g thumb drive - this time with several jpg files copied from WinXP to root of the thumb drive (thinking the structure was throwing TP Internalz off

Corrected string I inputted:

mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb

I NEED A BIT MORE HANDHOLDING ---- YES????!!!!!
    Last edited by silverbackdave; 10/06/2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added inputted string
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbackdave View Post
    OK tried the corrected string and this is my results:

-- case a: SD card with a 3 tiered directory structure off loaded from WinXP system:

-- case b: new out of box thumbPrint 8g
    --- command executed (at lest I think it did - returned me to prompt w/o error message
    -- used Internals to try navigate and did not know how to find it
    -- stupid me trying to do command stuff w/o training

-- case c: another cleans out of box 8g thumb drive - this time with several jpg files copied from WinXP to root of the thumb drive (thinking the structure was throwing TP Internalz off

Corrected string I inputted:

mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb

I NEED A BIT MORE HANDHOLDING ---- YES????!!!!!
    Silverbackdave,

Try this in the sequence specified:

Using a MicroUSB OTG Cable and a USB Female to 2 USB A Male Power Extension Y Cable:

a. Connect the Thumb Drive to the Female USB end of the Y Cable
    b. Connect the Heavy (Main) cable USB plug of the Y Cable to the OTG Cable
    c. Connect the Light cable USB plig of the y Cable to your TouchPad Power Supply
    d. Now plug the OTG Cable Micro USB Plug into the TouchPad

Now the “Soft” part:

1. Using Internalz, create a new directory in /media/internal called usb

2. From Preware, install Xecutah. This will automatically install Xserver and Xterm

3. webOS does not automatically mount drives when seen on an otg cable. So:

a. Open Xecutah/ Xterm and type: mount /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
    b. Then type: ls /media/internal/usb to make sure it shows the files on the drive.

4. Then fire up internalz pro and go to settings and click on show hidden files and apply that.

5. You should now be able to see the Thumb Drive Files under the /media/internal/usb Directory

CAVEAT! Be sure to use Xecutah/XServer/XTerm to "umount /dev/sda1" when you are done with a drive. (umount is the unmount command)
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 10/07/2011 at 02:52 PM.
    bable likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    b. Then type: LS /media/internal/usb to make sure it shows the files on the drive.
    Shouldn't it be "ls" in lower case?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast