View Poll Results: Would you want a custom fabric case for your Touchpad?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd be interested in buying multiple designs!

    0 0%
  • Yes, I'd be interested in buying maybe one for my girlfriend/wife/mother

    1 8.33%
  • Maybe, I'm more concerned about what they look like

    5 41.67%
  • Maybe, I'm more concerned about the price

    1 8.33%
  • No, I already have a case

    1 8.33%
  • No, doesn't sound like a good idea, it needs to be perfectly engineered!

    3 25.00%
  • What about the men? I'd be interested if it wasn't feminine

    1 8.33%
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone!

    I just got a Touchpad for myself, my girlfriend, and my mother. As I am sure many of us have. I was only able to get a hold of 2 cases, so my girlfriend is actually going to be making her own. My girlfriend is a fashion designer and artist, and she loves making cute things like pillows and bags with birds on them, etc. She is currently working on a design, but I wanted to start a thread to see how many of you would be interested in purchasing a handmade case/cover/sleeve for a HP Touchpad. The idea right now is that it will be "envelope" style, perhaps like a clutch.

    Not to automatically exclude the males, but the original design will more than likely be feminine, tailored towards women, great for your wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother, etc She is going to create a "prototype" and when she does and is satisfied, I'd post it here.

    Of course, this depends on interest. Maybe there is little interest and we just won't bother. Maybe there is a LOT of interest and she might be willing to make more, do multiple designs, etc.

    I have no clue on what we would price it. Obviously it needs to pay for the materials/fabric and shipping. She is the mastermind designer behind all of this so if you have any questions or requests, I could forward it to her, but as of this point I am just gathering interest. Thanks so much!

    Edit: I realize that I make a huge assumption that the majority of the userbase is male (At least in terms of forum use) - I apologize for that, but I can't imagine being far off. If you are a female, please participate and vote (Since I can't seem to edit the poll after the fact).
    Last edited by C.Bledsoejr; 09/16/2011 at 12:20 AM.
  2. #2  
    <<Thread Moved>>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3. #3  
    naaw..i like my plain black rubber folio case better.. good luck!
    the root.
  4. #4  
    I would say either way when she is done with hers post here. Even if you don't get a lot of interest in buyers, everyone around here loves seeing what folks are doing.

    There is a thread around here about custom mounts and cases for TouchPad. Also we have a multi page thread of people mounting their Touchstones for their phones in their vehicles.

    Good luck, and personally I look forward to seeing how they turn out.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    Wow! You guys posted quick, the poll is now up. Thanks for moving OldSkoolVWLover, makes more sense in the accessories area, haha!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I would say either way when she is done with hers post here. Even if you don't get a lot of interest in buyers, everyone around here loves seeing what folks are doing.

    There is a thread around here about custom mounts and cases for TouchPad. Also we have a multi page thread of people mounting their Touchstones for their phones in their vehicles.

    Good luck, and personally I look forward to seeing how they turn out.
    Thanks! I will definitely post hers when she is done. I'm not sure how long it will take her, it depends on how much free time she has.
  7. #7  
    If this takes off, she can market the cases for either the Touchpad or the iPad, as it should fit both. Kind of reminds me of the wool pouches Palm had for the Pixi:



    http://store.precentral.net/palm-wool-pouch/A4A6177.htm

    Never bought one since I carry my Pixi totally naked, but I do like the idea. I've got one Touchpad headed to my mom, so she might like a cloth case.

    If your GF could make a wool Touchpad pouch similar to Palm's old Pixi pouch, and especially if she can manage to conjure up some Palm tags to put on them, I bet people saying "no" would change their tune real fast. Hell, I'd get one. I plan to keep my Touchpad on couch duty, so putting it in a decorative wool pouch that matches the decor when I'm not using it... heck yeah I'd buy one.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8.    #8  
    Syndil, the wool seems like an interesting idea! Very simple and I'm sure it feels soft, too. And you're right, it won't exactly be tablet specific as it should fit any tablet around the size of the iPad/Touchpad. The only thing about wool is it is generally more per yard than a cotton blend. I forget what she told me she was planning to use, but it would obviously be a soft interior to avoid scratches.

    If anyone would like to see some of her most recent work, you can see it in the link below.

    Tiffany Crosby

    She talked to me more about it tonight, so I will post here and there with updates on progress and check back to see the poll results
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Bledsoejr View Post
    The only thing about wool is it is generally more per yard than a cotton blend. I forget what she told me she was planning to use, but it would obviously be a soft interior to avoid scratches.
    Yeah it costs a bit more, but I wouldn't think it would be so much more per case that it would be a deal-breaker for most purchasers. I can't really see a cotton-only solution being much more than a pillowcase, unless it's lined with fleece or neoprene or something. Personally, IF I were custom ordering one for myself, I would insist it be wool.

    If she wants to get super-chic (and super-expensive), she could go for molded felt. THAT would be the shiznit, as they say. Mold an HP or webOS logo right into one of the sides... Hell yeah. But even just regular felt would be a great choice. Take a look:

    http://www.casecloseduk.com/hp-touchpad-sleeves/

    Taken to the nth level:

    HiLo tablet concept has felt keyboard acting as protective case - TechShout
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Yeah it costs a bit more, but I wouldn't think it would be so much more per case that it would be a deal-breaker for most purchasers. I can't really see a cotton-only solution being much more than a pillowcase, unless it's lined with fleece or neoprene or something. Personally, IF I were custom ordering one for myself, I would insist it be wool.

    If she wants to get super-chic (and super-expensive), she could go for molded felt. THAT would be the shiznit, as they say. Mold an HP or webOS logo right into one of the sides... Hell yeah. But even just regular felt would be a great choice. Take a look:

    Case Closed: HP Touchpad Sleeves

    Taken to the nth level:

    HiLo tablet concept has felt keyboard acting as protective case - TechShout
    She will most likely be using some sort of synthetic blend like a flannel, which I suppose can be similar to a felt/suede kind of feel - at least for the inside. To be honest, if she wanted to make a plain boring fabric "pillow case" that's just one boring piece of fabric, she would. You would just say, "Meh, looks like everything else or something I can get on eBay."

    But we're talking about a custom handmade piece of art, very much an item you would find on etsy.com, except I am testing the waters here first. I think this will market towards a very particular type of person who enjoys her art style, it is a bit hard to explain, which is why I am hoping to get some sort of visual up soon for everyone to see.
  11. #11  
    How about sleeves on either side to hold a bt keyboard and the touchstone?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLARKBOY86 View Post
    How about sleeves on either side to hold a bt keyboard and the touchstone?
    Great Idea!

    If it could hold my TP in it's HP case and my BT keyboard I would be all over it. Currently when I want to bring the BT keyboard I am using a largish netbook bag.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Great Idea!

    If it could hold my TP in it's HP case and my BT keyboard I would be all over it. Currently when I want to bring the BT keyboard I am using a largish netbook bag.
    Waterfield has an iPad sleeve that will hold the keyboard as well. I assume it will work for the Touchpad, but it is also quite pricey.
  14. #14  
    She has a very appealing website
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    She has a very appealing website
    Truth,, I haven't gone all the way thru it, but it is not as bad as many out there. I have a coworker that is big into art and has been looking to design a site, I think I may refer her to that site as an basis for an art design layout.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for the comments on the site, it's actually a template that I tweaked in Dreamweaver to suit her work. I told her as an artist she can't have some boring "Created in iWeb" website. Haha. But I am no website designer by any means...

    But anyway, no updates on a design, and it may not be any time TOO soon (Work, family, travelling, yadda yadda...) But I will post if and when she has something to share.

Posting Permissions