Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Huge dispappointment with HP TouchPad keyboard:

I had been expecting to be able to control the TouchPad exclusively from the keyboard. I got the keyboard, and to my big surprise, I cannot do much more with the keyboard than entering text.

How can I close a card with the keyboard?
    How can I switch between cards?
    How can I move between fields on a card?
    How can I open browser?
    How can I jump between top bar browser icons?
    How can I open bookmarks?
    How can I select a text?
    How can I copy/paste?

The keyboard would be useful if I could do at least 95% of actions using it (it is 5% now, except long texts). The only thing I was able to do is to (except entering text):
    1. See all cards (special button, 3 rectangles)
    2. Actions through special buttons (volume up, down mute etc).

Am I missing something? Are there any special key combinations? Thanks in advance.

S.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Meh. I don't understand keyboards for tablets anyways. I thought the point of the tablet was to be ultra portable with minimal accessories.

I think they make it for those folks who bang out large documents on their 'pads (strictly text input) -- Not for efficiency.
    I don't have one but I understand CTRL+ESC works?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I can understand keyboards for tablets. It all depends on circumstances. Sometimes, I have a desk/table near me, and sometimes I would want to write a long email or have a longer conversation through Skype. Even some phones have keyboards.

For me, it is a disadvantage of TouchPad, and if all keyboards for all tablets work this way than it is a disadvantage of tablets in general... I am not sure, but I think, at least, Asus Transformer can be fully controlled from its keyboard.

I would never buy this keyboard if I knew it is for text ONLY. And, it is not perfect for text either.

A..Z, 1..0, Shift, Enter, cursor control keys are on every BT keyboard, so what is the point of buying a dedicated TouchPad keyboard?!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    I don't have one but I understand CTRL+ESC works?
    There is no ESC on my keyboard.
    Now you need a Bluetooth mouse!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by smatofu View Post
    There is no ESC on my keyboard.
    Sorry m8, I was reading the thread about CTRL+Esc working on the virtual keyboard, maybe you could try that method on your physical one?
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    umm it does have volume buttons and media keys.

I will play with mine some more to see if there is a dismiss key combo.

I had been expecting to be able to control the TouchPad exclusively from the keyboard. I got the keyboard, and to my big surprise, I cannot do much more with the keyboard than entering text.

How can I close a card with the keyboard?
    How can I switch between cards?
    How can I move between fields on a card?
    How can I open browser?
    How can I jump between top bar browser icons?
    How can I open bookmarks?
    How can I select a text?
    How can I copy/paste?

The keyboard would be useful if I could do at least 95% of actions using it (it is 5% now, except long texts). The only thing I was able to do is to (except entering text):
    1. See all cards (special button, 3 rectangles)
    2. Actions through special buttons (volume up, down mute etc).

Am I missing something? Are there any special key combinations? Thanks in advance.

S.
    Moving between fields is done with the Tab key.
    Selecting text is done by holding SHIFT + ARROW.

You can also view your notifications with the top left button.

You can also open up a webpage by using the Just Type feature.

Type in The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net, press enter and the browser will open to that page.

Portability of tablets, for me, means I can sit at the table outside on my deck. I would still (and do) like having a physical keyboard in those instances.
    There is nothing wrong with the keyboard.

It's the perfect size. It's as small as it could possibly be while still allowing fast touch typing. It's very light and sturdy due it it's solid aluminum housing. It has a number of Touchpad specific hot keys, but important hotkeys are remaps of keys on generic keyboards, making the HP keyboard surprisingly compatible with most computers and tablets.

It's a fantastic keyboard. The problems you are having have nothing to do with the HP keyboard, those issues would be present in any keyboard. The issues you're having are entirely due to how WebOS interacts (or fails to interact) with the keyboard.

At the current discount price of $35, this keyboard is a steal. We can just hope that upcoming software updates (or preware patches) will improve support for all keyboards within the WebOS operating system.

/ Not to be too harsh, but had you read the forums in advance of buying a keyboard, you'd have been well aware of the current limitations of all keyboards within WebOS.
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/15/2011 at 05:11 PM.
    does anybody ever research things before they buy them, or do people just throw money and hope people give them cool stuff

/facepalm
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

plucker likes this.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    does anybody ever research things before they buy them, or do people just throw money and hope people give them cool stuff

/facepalm
    Ummm...throw money and hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    At the current discount price of $35, this keyboard is a steal. We can just hope that upcoming software updates (or preware patches) will improve support for all keyboards within the WebOS operating system.
    Agreed. And at $35 you can't find the cheapest plastic BT KB. The design on the HP keyboard is truly a steal at $35, it was the best deal at my local frys at $70.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

/facepalm
    The "firesale" (of which I am part) seems to have brought out a lot of the latter. I bought an HP keyboard and am happy with it, but I didn't expect it to make me toast in the morning, just allow me to do mechanical typing when I like. Note I am typing this on the onscreen keyboard which I am getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Agreed. And at $35 you can't find the cheapest plastic BT KB. The design on the HP keyboard is truly a steal at $35, it was the best deal at my local frys at $70.
    Agreed
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I still think this keyboard is a failure.
    You, Guys, have unusually low expectations.
    Just for a comparison, 2-3 years ago I bought RocketFish BlueTooth Keyboard and Mouse for $50. It is obvious that using that keyboard I can open any application, switch, close, copy, paste etc. in Windows.
    I see no explanation why there are special buttons on the TouchPad keyboard for, for example, brightness (I use it once a few days) and no buttons for close or opening card (actions repeated many times every hour).

BTW#1, there is nothing unusual in expecting that a device dedicated keyboard can control the device

BTW#2, I bought Logitech Revue Google TV a few weeks ago. $100. It comes with a BT keyboard. The keyboard can do !!!!!EVERYTHING!!!!! on the Revue.
    Last edited by smatofu; 09/15/2011 at 10:35 PM.
    You had hugely unrealistic expectations.

If you bought this tablet and keyboard hoping for the abilities of a full laptop computer, you're not only asking too much - you clearly didn't do any research. The limitations of all keyboards with WebOS 3.0 have been well known for months.

In truth, no tablet, not even the Apple's iPad are good content creation devices. Tablets are not designed for long stints of writing and creating, they're designed for consuming information - reading, viewing and playing games.

Will tablets work in a pinch for content creation? Sure, but no tablet is a viable laptop or desktop replacement for heavy content creation, not yet.
    Just for a comparison, 2-3 years ago I bought RocketFish BlueTooth Keyboard and Mouse for $50. It is obvious that using that keyboard I can open any application, switch, close, copy, paste etc. in Windows.
    All those features are handled by Windows. Hook up your "failure" HP keyboard to a Windows machine and it will also switch, close, copy and paste. The HP bluetooth keyboard can do all of that, it is WebOS that does not have the functionality. It's not the keyboard you have issue with, it's the way WebOS functions with all keyboards.

That's a good thing, because the WebOS software is easily patchable is still being upgraded and improved to this very day.
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/15/2011 at 10:43 PM.
    I see no explanation why there are special buttons on the TouchPad keyboard for, for example, brightness (I use it once a few days) and no buttons for close or opening card (actions repeated many times every hour).

BTW#1, there is nothing unusual in expecting that a device dedicated keyboard can control the device

BTW#2, I bought Logitech Revue Google TV a few weeks ago. $100. It comes with a BT keyboard. The keyboard can do !!!!!EVERYTHING!!!!! on the Revue.
    There is something unusual about not doing research before you buy things

If you want those features, you have other options: 1. Write code yourself, in a patch 2. Ask someone to write a patch 3. Research before you buy, so you are not disappointed 4. Pay more money for a slate 5. Pay more money for a laptop

Also note that a patch may not, and probably is not possible at the moment
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

The HP Touchpad keyboard does everything it was advertised to do, and a bit more in my view. It gets 4.5/5 star user reviews on both the HP site & Amazon. Every editorial review I've seen of it has been generally positive. It does what I need with a couple of minor complaints, was pretty cheap, and does what HP said it would do. So would appear to be widely considered a success, not just in this forum. It's unfortunate you're disappointed. Next time figure out what you really want and what products match your expectations before buying then hopefully will be more satisfied.
    Last edited by texasflood; 09/16/2011 at 01:28 AM.
    I still have my keyboard in the box. I got it for the price, If I find in my usage of the touchpad that it will come in handy I will keep it, if not I would just go ahead and sell it. So far I am still up in the air about it, when I travel it will prob shine more than it does now. The touchpad with the keyboard would make a nice travel computing solution.

you fail at researching product before buying and you fail at knowing what the hell you are buying for
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast