Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by erick161 View Post
    you fail at researching product before buying and you fail at knowing what the hell you are buying for
    These research posts are of course right however when applying to this fire sale frenzy scenario are idiotic.

I bought the keyboard because it was the last one on the table first day of FS, sold out at hp, could I get one later? who knows? it is a good KB but being a TP accessory it should have some basic functionality listed by OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by gl2011 View Post
    These research posts are of course right however when applying to this fire sale frenzy scenario are idiotic.

I bought the keyboard because it was the last one on the table first day of FS, sold out at hp, could I get one later? who knows? it is a good KB but being a TP accessory it should have some basic functionality listed by OP.
    None of that desired functionality has anything to do with the keyboard accessory. Copy and paste isn't in the keyboard, it's in the OS. The HP bluetooth keyboard actually supports every single one of those desired features when connected to a computer or tablet that supports those features.

The original poster's problem is that he didn't realize that the WebOS operating system simply doesn't support the features he wants. Not with the HP keyboard, not with any keyboard, not yet.

The good part is that each of those features could certainly be added in future WebOS updates. Here's hoping.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    I'm sure sooner or later, once webOS Internals, or Homebrew, runs out of things to do, something will be made. If you bought the keyboard at firesale prices....you really can't complain that much.

Definition of basic functionality of a bluetooth keyboard....imo....is typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post

In truth, no tablet, not even the Apple's iPad are good content creation devices. Tablets are not designed for long stints of writing and creating, they're designed for consuming information - reading, viewing and playing games.

Will tablets work in a pinch for content creation? Sure, but no tablet is a viable laptop or desktop replacement for heavy content creation, not yet.
    You must have never used the ASUS Transformer with Keyboard dock I work on it all day since the spring and it's been wonderful - even for creating content.
    The original poster's problem is that he didn't realize that the WebOS operating system simply doesn't support the features he wants. Not with the HP keyboard, not with any keyboard, not yet.
    case closed
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

it is a good KB but being a TP accessory it should have some basic functionality listed by OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Definition of basic functionality of a bluetooth keyboard....imo....is typing.
    You beat me to it.

None of that desired functionality has anything to do with the keyboard accessory. Copy and paste isn't in the keyboard, it's in the OS. The HP bluetooth keyboard actually supports every single one of those desired features when connected to a computer or tablet that supports those features.

The good part is that each of those features could certainly be added in future WebOS updates. Here's hoping.
    Agreed. Would be great to have cut & paste. Would be great if my bluetooth mouse was supported. There are a number of such features here's hoping.
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    You must have never used the ASUS Transformer with Keyboard dock I work on it all day since the spring and it's been wonderful - even for creating content.
    I have to disagree.

I've had a high quality Android tablet for nearly a year. I make very heavy use of it for content consumption. As for content creation, it is simply a chore, even with a keyboard (which I have).

As much as I like Android, (though I still prefer WebOS), neither Android, iOS, nor WebOS is able to take on the full computer operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux) for heavy content creation. The desktop / laptop OS's have far too many mature tools that are simply not available in the mobile space.

Yes, doing real work on a tablet is doable, but it's not nearly as fast and doesn't offer nearly the power in features. The problem is that mobile OS software tools are not nearly as developed. In most cases, the mobile tools are very light versions of their desktop competition, if the tools exist at all. A great many industry-specific tools have absolutely no mobile counterpart.

This will certainly change. Over the next few years, the big software companies will almost certainly port their mature content creation tools to one or more of the mobile operating systems. I suspect this to happen most rapidly on Micorsoft's OS, entirely because of Microsoft's push to (somewhat) unify their desktop and mobile operating systems.

As of today, mature, robust, content creation tools are not on mobile. This sea change is starting to happen, but it won't be completed for quite a few years to come.
    i bought one with my tp, after realising it couldnt peform much actions like switching between cards, it was returned

And that's a fair point, having been in this same situation on other deals. But if you decide to bite on a deal like this without doing some research, you're taking a risk and should realize that. Is it fair to come back and nitpick the product against expectations with no basis in reality? The expectation that a fairly new touch tablet product will allow 95% of the touch functions using only the add-on accessory keyboard does not seem a safe assumption so a definite risk without some research. As has has been discussed, this is primarily a limitation of the O.S. so hopefully the situation will improve.
    I bought my TP for my kids and wife to use when checking grades online and any quick and easy things to do.

Anything requiring typing longer than a typical email response, we use our desktops which we have 3 in each room...kids, master and office...

Although, I was tempted to buy those BT keyboards, I just couldn't justify the purchase specially when I see that you're typing in a screen that's only 10" when our desktops have 20", 24" and even a 40" LCD's hooked up to it. I'd rather avoid the eye strain now or risk wearing glasses later.
    Quote Originally Posted by medbuyer View Post
    I bought my TP for my kids and wife to use when checking grades online and any quick and easy things to do.

Anything requiring typing longer than a typical email response, we use our desktops which we have 3 in each room...kids, master and office...

Although, I was tempted to buy those BT keyboards, I just couldn't justify the purchase specially when I see that you're typing in a screen that's only 10" when our desktops have 20", 24" and even a 40" LCD's hooked up to it. I'd rather avoid the eye strain now or risk wearing glasses later.
    Out of curiosity, do you set the font to be really huge on the larger LCD screens? If not, you're looking at the same size font, only on a larger screen, so eye-strain is still an issue (if you get eye-strain).

Personally, I can type long emails on the tablet directly or by typing on my ASUS Transformer keyboard - never an issue with eye strain, headaches, etc. I haven't use my laptop since May/June... it's been tablets even since

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by medbuyer View Post

Well the BT keyboard could be connected to any of your computing devices as well... just saying.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you set the font to be really huge on the larger LCD screens? If not, you're looking at the same size font, only on a larger screen, so eye-strain is still an issue (if you get eye-strain).
    I just bump the screen size to 150% on the 40" LCD, very comfortable even when I sit up straight from my bed 12' from the TV, netflix and Hulu just fit right too......the others run at their native resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Well the BT keyboard could be connected to any of your computing devices as well... just saying.
    all of our desktops have wireless keyboards and mouse which we can use even 12' to 15' feet away.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The hp keyboard is decent for the touchpad but hell with most other devices. F keys, alt, and esc would have made it almost perfect but instead it flounders like some sad duck we engineered with one foot.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    The hp keyboard is decent for the touchpad but hell with most other devices. F keys, alt, and esc would have made it almost perfect but instead it flounders like some sad duck we engineered with one foot.
    Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off getting the very similar but more standard Brando keyboard I mentioned in an earlier post. Oh well, the HP one was relatively cheap, well made, and at least one of the best keyboards for the touchpad if not the best. So I can always get the Brando as well if needed I guess. Truth be told I really don't need a bluetooth keyboard for my other devices, might be a good toy but not needed. So not an issue for me I guess. On the touchpad I really need it as I'm not competent with the onscreen keyboard and may never be,
    I think the keyboard works great for taking notes during a meeting...

but I email the notes to my laptop where I edit/print them...
    I think the idea of a keyboard for a tablet is wonderful. My situation: in another city attending a training course for 3 month. With my desktop at home, laptop in the office, a tablet+keyboard is ideal for me. As I'm not going to do huge amount of texting but if I do I can do it on a proper keyboard.
    Thanks to the OP for properly describing some of his failed expectations with respect to using this keyboard. It confirms my decision not to invest in one.

I do have some trouble with so much criticism from the webos zealots who appear quick to personally attack anyone who doesn't share their belief that the development team can do no wrong.

The OP voiced a legitimate concern with the product's failure to meet his expectations. Rather than ridicule him for having unrealistic expectations, there are more civilized ways to address his concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldryan View Post
    Thanks to the OP for properly describing some of his failed expectations with respect to using this keyboard. It confirms my decision not to invest in one.

I do have some trouble with so much criticism from the webos zealots who appear quick to personally attack anyone who doesn't share their belief that the development team can do no wrong.

The OP voiced a legitimate concern with the product's failure to meet his expectations. Rather than ridicule him for having unrealistic expectations, there are more civilized ways to address his concerns.
    I don't think that I ridiculed him. Nothing wrong with posting what it will and won't do but I see no basis to expect the keyboard to perform as he expected or attacking the product as if it didn't perform as advertised.

I think those of us that like the Touchpad and keyboard are a bit weary of seeing the products ridiculed for not meeting fabricated expectations. Call me a zealot if you want, might be a fair statement. But I absolutely do not believe the development team can do no wrong.

There should be more functionality in WebOS to support the keyboard, at least the ability to cut & paste. How much more is probably open to debate. But again, as has been posted, it's a WebOS deficiency, not a keyboard flaw. For better or worse the keyboard does all it was claimed to do and is a great accessory IMHO for those not wanting to fight with the on screen keyboard for any significant text entry.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I bought the keyboard with the HP glitch and it only cost me $14.

The main reason I bought it is just for using it with superNES emulator. I can now hadouken and shoryuken without straining my hands. It worth $14. More than that, I'm not sure.

I just hope that someday, someone will build a bluetooth game controller as It will be a lot easier since you don't need to lay it on any surface.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast