Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Are there any Touchpad-compatible bluetooth keyboards SMALLER thant one from HP?
    Smaller as in small enough to easily fit in a purse or small backpack.
  2. #2  
    Yes. I have one in fact

    I bought it from a ma & pa computer store in Hong Kong. It doesn't have any branding so I can't tell you who made it.

    However, I've paired the Touchpad with 3 different BT keyboards by now (Apple Wireless, KIRF version of Apple Wireless, no-name generic) to be confident in saying that it should work with any bluetooth keyboard that supports HID

    So if I was in your shoes, I'd feel pretty safe in just going to DealExtreme to get a small keyboard from them.

    Just remmeber that not all keyboards are created equal. For instance, the small one I have, the keys are so noisy I feel guilty typing on it during class time
  3. #3  
    I would caution, that it does not work with all bluetooth keyboards. In fact, I had a Palm Bluetooth keyboard and it didn't work with that. So, you may want to make sure you try it out first, or ensure that whatever you purchase has a return policy and try it out within the return period.
    All for One and One for All!
  4. #4  
    I've successfully paired and used my iGo Stowaway palm keyboard with the TP. It even supports the TP on it's stand (just).
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    I would caution, that it does not work with all bluetooth keyboards. In fact, I had a Palm Bluetooth keyboard and it didn't work with that. So, you may want to make sure you try it out first, or ensure that whatever you purchase has a return policy and try it out within the return period.
    Not sure what Palm keyboard you have, BUT, I have this one:

    Amazon.com: Palm 3245WW Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard: Electronics

    and its MUCH smaller than the HP TP Keyboard, and its from Palm.

    Originally got it to work with my Smartphone, BUT it works BEAUTIFULLY with my TP.
  6. #6  
    I am using the foldable keyboard from think outside or stowaway. It is a full keyboard but to type numbers, you have to use the fn keys (blue for numbers, green for symbols) but one perk is that it has a delete key whereas the hp touchpad keyboard only has a backspace key.
  7. #7  
    There are some very, very small bluetooth keyboards available. Check Amazon for starters. Though if you go much smaller than the official HP keyboard, it may be difficult to touch type.

    While some have reported issues in trying to use non-HP keyboards, keep in mind that the first pairing of a non-HP keyboard with the touchpad is done using a non-obvious method, but it's only that first time, from then on the Touchpad should just recognize a keyboard.

    (edit) Directions here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3133035

    Reports indicate that using that technique has been successful in pairing the Touchpad with most bluetooth keyboards.
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/15/2011 at 07:31 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    There are some very, very small bluetooth keyboards available. Check Amazon for starters. Though if you go much smaller than the official HP keyboard, it may be difficult to touch type.

    While some have reported issues in trying to use non-HP keyboards, keep in mind that the first pairing of a non-HP keyboard with the touchpad is done using a non-obvious method. I forget the exact steps, they're here in the forum somewhere) but it's only that first time, from then on the Touchpad will just recognize a keyboard. Reports indicate that using that technique has been successful in pairing the Touchpad with most bluetooth keyboards.
    I've got an Ultra Exo that I learned about in this thread. It's about 3" x 6" and pairs without issue. I'd probably like it more without the touchpad on the right side, but it's good enough. I also have the fullsize Logitech for Android keyboard that also had no problem pairing with the TouchPad.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I've got an Ultra Exo that I learned about in this thread. It's about 3" x 6" and pairs without issue. I'd probably like it more without the touchpad on the right side, but it's good enough. I also have the fullsize Logitech for Android keyboard that also had no problem pairing with the TouchPad.
    I also have that KB but can't get it to work. Would you mind sharing your technique to pair successfully? Mine identifies the KB, but there is no response to the keys. Thanks, Ed
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiebaby View Post
    I also have that KB but can't get it to work. Would you mind sharing your technique to pair successfully? Mine identifies the KB, but there is no response to the keys. Thanks, Ed
    The procedure is here.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    I've successfully paired and used my iGo Stowaway palm keyboard with the TP. It even supports the TP on it's stand (just).
    How did you get the TP to pair? I also have an ultra thin TP and it sees it but refuses to pair.

    EDIT: finally got it to work - I entered the code in both the TP and on the keyboard a few seconds later, pressing (Enter)
    Last edited by twentysixtwo; 09/30/2011 at 08:54 AM.
  12. dna550's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #13  
    I have the HP TouchPad BT Keyboard. The size is ideal and may be smaller than you think it is, assuming you have not see it yet. Everyone who has tried it is amazed.

    Honestly, I cannot imagine why you would want a smaller physical keyboard.

    If you have not used a 9.7 screen-based keyboard, you should try it out, since, they can be pretty good, if the tablet is at the right angle.
  13. #14  
    The Logitech diNovo Mini works fine. Using it right now.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  14. #15  
    The Rii KB is the one I have. It does pair now, thank you, typing works, but the arrow keys and built-in touchpad appear to be inoperable. Anyone else have that part working? TIA, Ed
    To dna550--- I wanted to set the TP up on a shelf and use the mini KB from my lap-handheld rather than setting a formal KB on a table/surface. I have the HP BT KB and that works great, but too much like a desktop setup for casual use (for me anyway).
  15. dna550's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #16  
    Cool!

    Thanks for stating your use case.

    Follow-up question.

    Lounging with the TouchPad BT KB on your lap isn't an option?



    Quote Originally Posted by eddiebaby View Post
    The Rii KB is the one I have. It does pair now, thank you, typing works, but the arrow keys and built-in touchpad appear to be inoperable. Anyone else have that part working? TIA, Ed
    To dna550--- I wanted to set the TP up on a shelf and use the mini KB from my lap-handheld rather than setting a formal KB on a table/surface. I have the HP BT KB and that works great, but too much like a desktop setup for casual use (for me anyway).
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    Cool!

    Thanks for stating your use case.

    Follow-up question.

    Lounging with the TouchPad BT KB on your lap isn't an option?
    Well, I wanted to thumb type (which I got pretty good at with my phone) for one thing. I'm probably a faster typist that way than on a conventional KB. Also, I was hoping to be able to scroll/select, etc. with the built-in arrow keys and touch-pad on the Rii KB. If I use the HP KB I still have to put it on a somewhat stable surface in order to type using two hands. The problem now is the arrow keys/pad, but I think I'm understanding that the TP just doesn't support that. I hope I'm wrong about that. Otherwise the new KB is useless to me. Incidentally, the Rii KB works perfectly on my WinXP, MacOS10 and BB Playbook with all functions. Can't get it to work on Android 2.2 though.

Posting Permissions