Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Clodrock
  • 1 Post By bable
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Iíve been searching quite a while for the perfect case and I've found it (IMHO) in the Acase Transformer Leather Case for my HP Touchpad (TP). In the mean time Iíve been using one of those cheap faux leather folio cases that I found on eBay for about $12 (including shipping) which works quite well but the TPís bezel is completely covered and it looks quite cheap. I originally ordered this case from Amazonís CTC partner but it turns out they didnít even have the case in stock even though they showed they had it in stock. I cancelled that order. I eventually ordered it from Amazonís Marketplace partner Digital Media Source for $18 plus $6 shipping. They promised me they had it in stock and would ship it ASAP. The order was placed on Sept. 8 and received it on Sept. 13. I had considered the HP's OEM case but I didn't like that the flap didn't stay shut (there isnít any kind of latching mechanism) and that the TP had to be snapped into place was also a cause for concern. I don't plan on owning a Touchstone charger so the fact that HP's original case works with the wireless charger is a mute point for me. Another case I had considered was the Targus Truss Leather Case. I had actually ordered it from HPDirect.com ($19 plus $5 shipping) but they kept giving me the runaround about inventory and delivery so I eventually cancelled my order.

The Acase Transformer Leather case is very much like the Poetic Slimbook case except that the Acase sets itself apart from every other folio case in this styleóThe Acase has cut-outs at all four sides allowing up-swiping no matter how the TP is oriented. This was always a frustration with my cheapo eBay folio case. Furthermore, the quality of the Acase Transformer is first rate. It feels great in my hands, looks more expensive then what I spent with its soft leather, quality white stitching, and consistent cuts.

Pros
    +Exposed bezel at all four sides means up-swiping in any orientation
    +Very affordable
    +Looks very expensive
    +Slim profile
    +Soft leather feels great in hand
    +Velcro flap on the inside keeps TP from sliding out
    +Magnetic closures keep flap closed
    +Three viewing positions
    +Volume rocker, power switch, mic, USB, camera lens, back-button, and speakers are all accessible
    +Flap never touches the screen
    +The TPís glossy and scratch-prone back is fully protected

Since I do not own a Touchstone charger, I cannot verify if this case works with wireless charging.

Cons
    -Corners are exposed/vulnerable
    -The three angled viewing positions support only landscape

Sukiyaki likes this.
    I've been wanting this case, and I saw an Acase on ebay with the cut outs so I just ordered it. Acase Leather Folio Protector Case with Stand for HP TouchPad Black | eBay Then I looked back at this thread and on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Acase-TouchPad...bosnation0e-20 The one I ordered doesn't seem to be the same quality. I didn't think Acase would have two different ones tho. I've ordered from SF Planet before without problems so I'm hoping the pic they used just isn't a true representation.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    i have the acase transformer and i'm not sure if it's real leather. it's kind of hard to tell
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I got this case and it's almost perfect. Luckily, you can heat up a protractor/spike and poke a hole for the light sensor and the case is perfect. Works fine in the touchstone, I wouldn't change a thing on it.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    I got this case and it's almost perfect. Luckily, you can heat up a protractor/spike and poke a hole for the light sensor and the case is perfect. Works fine in the touchstone, I wouldn't change a thing on it.

Where is the light sensor located on the touchpad?

The case I ordered from ebay arrived today, it is as described on the ebay page. Black outside, grey inside. Smells like leather. I think the grey part is some other material, it feels slightly rubberized. It doesn't have the kick stand line down the inside of the case, but with the rubberized material, it may not need one, it actually makes it more adjustable as you can angle it any way. This is actually a plus, I thought the grey would be cloth as the case that came with my TP from Aarons was clothish/suedeish inside, and I didn't want that material again. It is lighter than my Aarons case, but I don't think it will offer as much protection. The Aarons case was a tad big longer so the edges would be protected better. I wanted the cutouts for the bezel tho, so I'll see how it goes. Edit: the flap on the open end doesn't have velcro, it just tucks in. The cover has magnets to hold it closed. The angle to type on isn't as elevated as the one in the OP. It's a good case, 20 bucks, but I think I'm going to order the one in the OP.
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 09/28/2011 at 06:38 PM.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    The light sensor is a red dot at the top right of the bevel when it's in portrait. It's easiest to see at an angle under a lamp I find.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    What about the exposed corners? Is that a non issue? I noticed the Targus isn't like that. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
    What about the exposed corners? Is that a non issue? I noticed the Targus isn't like that. Thanks.
    I haven't had any issues with damage or crud getting trapped, what kind of issues did you expect? I went through about four cases and a skin before landing this gem.
    I have had mine for about three weeks now and I love it. No issues with the corners getting damaged or not being able to hear the speakers. The magnet closure works great too. Easy access to the bezel for swiping your cards. I have not poked a hole in the case yet for the light sensor and no issues with it charging on the touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    I haven't had any issues with damage or crud getting trapped, what kind of issues did you expect? I went through about four cases and a skin before landing this gem.
    Sorry. I wasn't worried about dirt. My question is whether the exposed corners are more susceptible to damage with this case compared to others. I guess beanctr10 doesn't think so.
    Definitely not leather if you can poke a hole in it with a hot spike. Doesn't look like it either (to me).
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about getting the case and wondering what's your opinion of it now since you've had the case for awhile?
    I've never bought an Acase but folks seem to like their products in generral. Advertised as leather but apparently vinyl. Perhaps "artificial leather" but the ads just say leather. This seems to be the main negative issue I saw in reviews. I tried to find a manufacturer website to see how it's described there but could not find one. Seems it's made in China but that's all I could tell, please post if anyone has more info.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I've never bought an Acase but folks seem to like their products in generral. Advertised as leather but apparently vinyl. Perhaps "artificial leather" but the ads just say leather. This seems to be the main negative issue I saw in reviews. I tried to find a manufacturer website to see how it's described there but could not find one. Seems it's made in China but that's all I could tell, please post if anyone has more info.
    I ended up buying the case from Amazon and I should be getting it today. Texasflood here a link to what appears to be the manufacturer website. Hope this helps you out.

Acase (TM) Leather EZ Carry Case with 3 in 1 built in Stand for HP TouchPad Transformer 9/7-Inch WebOS Tablet Wi-Fi 16GB, 32GB (BLACK) : HP TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaguy112 View Post
    I ended up buying the case from Amazon and I should be getting it today. Texasflood here a link to what appears to be the manufacturer website. Hope this helps you out.

Acase (TM) Leather EZ Carry Case with 3 in 1 built in Stand for HP TouchPad Transformer 9/7-Inch WebOS Tablet Wi-Fi 16GB, 32GB (BLACK) : HP TouchPad
    Well I feel pretty stupid, how did I miss that? Maybe I thought it was just a resale site, don't remember. That also says leather but many folks report it's not, hmmm. Be interested to see what you think pizzaguy.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Well got the case today. Haven't been using it long but I like it lives up to the reviews from amazon and on here. Texasflood when I opened he package it looks and feels like leather but then it has this smell of plastic or vinyl and I can see how some people feel that it's not leather but after having it on the TP and it having a chance to air out it starts to smell like leather. I think it gets that plastic smell from the plastic zipper bag that it was shipped in. For the most part I really like the case and I would recommend it others so I don't think you can go wrong with getting it. Hope this helps you out texasflood.
    I don't know what you paid, but the deal forums I frequent are mentioning these are on sale on amazon.
    And there are in different colors too. The "Acase Premium Leather Slimline Carrying Case for Apple iPad and HP TouchPad (Brown)" is $5.65 if your order qualifies for FSS.
    Too bad the red one is still $13. It looks pretty snazzy.
    You plug your phone in?