Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I've dealt with Skinomi multiple times, they don't just brush you off. I've used Zagg and Skinomi for years, never had anything peel on me or scratch off. Personal experience with over a dozen products from them combined. The ONLY thing I've heard "Better" about phantonskins is that it's thinner and thus slightly smoother. I've never had the orange peel effect on the other products like others complain of so this is a non-issue to me.

Just because it's 3M doesn't mean anything. I bought a 3M invisible bra for one of my vehicles (very similar material) and it was crap, bought another from, I think it was BASF, and it's lasted twice as long already.

Not saying they have a bad product, just saying their nonprofessional attitude has lost them a customer. Sure I may have gotten a bad rep, but that's their problem not mine.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the fact that phantom wants me to use a hair dryer makes me pause as well.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
    I've dealt with Skinomi multiple times, they don't just brush you off. I've used Zagg and Skinomi for years, never had anything peel on me or scratch off. Personal experience with over a dozen products from them combined. The ONLY thing I've heard "Better" about phantonskins is that it's thinner and thus slightly smoother. I've never had the orange peel effect on the other products like others complain of so this is a non-issue to me.

Just because it's 3M doesn't mean anything. I bought a 3M invisible bra for one of my vehicles (very similar material) and it was crap, bought another from, I think it was BASF, and it's lasted twice as long already.

Not saying they have a bad product, just saying their nonprofessional attitude has lost them a customer. Sure I may have gotten a bad rep, but that's their problem not mine.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the fact that phantom wants me to use a hair dryer makes me pause as well.

"After doing more research I also suspect their skins won't last as long as the Skinomi/Zagg do"

again an angry consumer with a grudge for no reason, and check your facts on if skinomi is better compared with phantom skinz , as they both use 3m films if you like call Vanessa and she will confirm this LOL (carbon fiber & wood)

oh and check the warranty given, and all the outs they have, the outs are usually the reason the skin etc needs to be replaced, this is why a warranty is pointless

*no I don't work for ps and yes I have a skinomi on order

bye enough on this subject
    Last edited by sjjones; 09/15/2011 at 05:39 PM.
    So you work for one of these companies?

No grudge, just treated rudely from the get go by a company. First impressions and all that.

Phantom doesn't advertise the warranty properly, they actually do themselves a disservice by only having the defect upon shipment warranty on the Chromatics, saying it costs $6 as it's a bigger item, but still gets the full warranty would be a better selling point.

And if Skinomi and Phantom use the same film, then damn straight I'm going with the company that is nicest to me.
    Received my skins yesterday and got them put on. If I remember I'll post some pictures later today. The skins are really really nice but a pain....I mean a REAL pain to put on. Since there are no camera holes or anything else on the back it is difficult to line up. It took me about an hour of playing around to get it right where I want it. Luckily you can remove it if you mess up. There is a cutout for the HP logo but a piece is included to let you cover it up....and they give you an option to put a clear piece over it if you want the HP logo to show. I LOVE having this option.
    Overall the quality is great, the shipping was FFFAAASSTTT and for that price....who can pass it up?
    Got a screen protector but won't be using it: the camera cutout, button cutout, and overall sizing were slightly off. At least the waste of money was not at full price.

I'm sure there are peeps fine with the way the product is, but for me it was a pass.
    Got mine today, agree with ss70chevelle, they are nice. I don't like the cutout as there is a slight uncovered circle around it that dust will get into. I sent an email saying I wasn't too happy about it, didn't request anything to be done, just voiced my dislike.

The screen protector is regular skinomi material, works great and doesn't affect touch to any noticeable degree. The Camera hole was a hair off, but doesn't obstruct the camera itself, just the cutout around it. I will say, out of all the shields I've had, this was no better or worse for cutout alignment. Because the material is stretchy, you can very carefully pull it around some of those bits, just not too much or bubbles will form in the stressed areas. This was not necessary on either of mine however. I did get the button's aligned perfectly, far more important to me than the camera that I'll never use. Who would want to look at my ugly mug anyway?

The Carbon fiber back is standard automotive 3M Scotchprint film (used this on my vehicles, sucks to take off) so it does take a heat gun or hairdryer to get the corners to round out properly. There is a gap around the bits that curve around the corners, not real fond of that but knowing the material, I've no worries of it lifting. I was hoping for a more rubbery feel, but the carbon fiber texture does make it very non-slip so I'm happy with that. It does line up almost perfectly as long as you start with the microphone, headphone, and power button side, get those right and then very slowly smooth just the back all the way to the bottom. I was just on the edge of the usb port, my wifes was centered perfectly. Then smooth one side at a time. The only "bad" thing I had was a VERY slight overlap of the SIM slot, like that matters!

Take your time and don't heat anything until you have it in the proper place, that activates the adhesive. I also wasn't able to line up my circle as well on mine as my wifes, but either way there is a noticeable gap around the circle on both of them.

Took maybe a half hour to do front/back of both devices. I've applied skinomi and zagg to two other tablets and around a dozen phones, so that's probably faster than if you've never done these before.

For the price, very well worth it. If I'd paid full price I wouldn't have accepted the non-solid back. But I can live with this as it's going to be in my folio the majority of the time anyway.

Jonnie, try to stretch it a bit, the material is very forgiving as long as you keep it wet enough, but not too wet.
    got mine in today, was super excited to put on. the cut outs aren't lined up right. spent like an hour trying over and over.. o well, i gave up. atleast it wasn't the full price i paid for.
    Just finished applying mine. Took maybe 15 to 20 minutes?

First impressions: This thing had better start looking better by tomorrow. After applying the screen protector, it looks so grimy on the front.

The back protector is by far the hardest one to do. The edges are what kill it because they're so darn hard to apply! It doesn't stick very well, so once you get one side down and move to the other one, the first one might pop up again. Very hard to align right. Mine is slightly covering the mic, but I'll never use it so I don't care much.

Skinomi did screw up one thing that might ruin the whole back cover. They had a little orange card advertising their company stuck to part of the back protector, so that edge that it was on became much less sticky than the other edges and is also orange! If it doesn't stick right by tomorrow night, I'm gonna complain.

I'd rather not though, because I love the feel of the protectors and do think that it was worth the money if you can put up with challenge.

I'll report back tomorrow!
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Really don't understand how are you guys having so much trouble with this skin.

I just installed the screen protector I ordered and it was a piece of cake.

And for those complaining that the cutouts are not aligned, you can stretch the skin while installing it just a bit and the cutouts will align.

Gotta take your time with the squeegee and squeeze all the liquid you can.

I like it 100 times more than the Body Guardz anti-glare plus, for $7 = steal.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gareim View Post
    Just finished applying mine. Took maybe 15 to 20 minutes?

First impressions: This thing had better start looking better by tomorrow. After applying the screen protector, it looks so grimy on the front.

That's normal on wet-installed skins.

Gotta give it 24-48 hours until the remaining solution you didn't squeeze out dries out.
    Yeah, and it's gonna be the longest wait ever! I don't think I've ever gone that long without the tpad since I bought it! :P
    does the touchpad still fit in the HP case with one of these back skins installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeBlindPR View Post
    That's normal on wet-installed skins.

Gotta give it 24-48 hours until the remaining solution you didn't squeeze out dries out.
    That's why I popped back into this thread. Just put my screen protector on and it looks like balls, lol. Especially after I watched the video (after the fact) I was like, "My protector didn't look anywhere near that good after I was done!"

So here's hoping the instructions are right about the streaks and micro bubbles going away after a couple of days. I've got about 30 of the little bubbles under there.
    Ordered two screen protectors yesterday, and they were shipped last night. Should arrive at the same time my order from HP SMB does.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Put mine on last night, the back took a couple retries because there wasn't a lot to line it up with, the front was easy. The micro-bubbles are slowly going away.

This fits fine in the HP folio case, though its slightly harder to get in so you can avoid unpeeling the corners.
    The only problem I have is that it isn't any more visible in the sun than without it.. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Skinomi25 coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    The only problem I have is that it isn't any more visible in the sun than without it.. Anyone else experiencing this?
    It's not an anti-glare shield so that's to be expected.

For those having trouble with the back, align one corner then give it a blast of hot air and hold it for a few seconds, then move on to the next corner. I had no orange thing stuck to mine, I'd complain if it's discolored or not sticking.

I did unfortunately have a very small bit of debris darn near right in the middle, thought it was a micro bubble, but after all the other bubbles went away it was still there.

That's the trouble with the wet ones, it's hard to see particles until it dries completely. Fortunately it's very hard to see when on, unless the screen is white, then it looks like a fleck of dust I just can't get rid of.
    haha wow that was sad. I honestly thought that when I ordered this it included anti-glare.
    nice site.

so far ive used GelaSkins | iPad Skins, iPhone Skins, iPod Skins, Laptop Skins, Gaming Skins, Custom Skins, Giclee Prints and more... good back and soem front (borders) protection, easy remove/re-apply, works well, grips a tad better, best plus was an easy to use customise DIY section where i used a pic my cousin revamped of my fave old strategy game Deuteros.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7633/wotigot.png

cost more than the OP's suggestion tho.
    beanctr10 likes this.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast