Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1  
    Got my Touchstone direct from HP today and first thing I tried it with the TP in it's case, the case has a metal stud on the back where it swivels and that got very hot in a matter of minutes! I mean hot enough to blister my skin and melt through the plastic protector I hadn't got around to taking off the Touchstone.

So.. warning!!! - Don't get any metal between the TP and Touchstone, they do not mix!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/20/2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: updated title
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    Got my Touchstone direct from HP today and first thing I tried it with the TP in it's case, the case has a metal stud on the back where it swivels and that got very hot in a matter of minutes! I mean hot enough to blister my skin and melt through the plastic protector I hadn't got around to taking off the Touchstone.

So.. warning!!! - Don't get any metal between the TP and Touchstone, they do not mix!
    only use the HP official case, it does not have metal.
  3.    #3  
    I expect a lot of cases don't have metal on the back.
    bable likes this.
    wow thaks for the heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    only use the HP official case, it does not have metal.
    I concur...I don't see any metal on the case or the Touchstone, and haven't had any problems with mine in the last 2 months.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    This is good info specially for those people looking for unorthodox cases.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    It's kinda like warning people not to stick their fingers into a moving fan. What did you think was going to happen when you shove some metal into an electromagnetic field strong enough to charge the battery?
  8.    #8  
    Never having had access to an induction charger of any size before, it didn't even cross my mind that there might be a problem. If I didn't then others might not either and so a warning might be timely, hope that meets with your approval?
    creepycat likes this.
    Thanks for the info - I was thinking about the aluminum case, but that with a touchstone had me a little concerned!

(And don't worry about the trolls - they think that they will feel better about themselves by insulting others)
    vella_ and BandanaDan like this.
    Pics?
    The charging works via induction. Consequently, any non magnetic metal should not cause any issue.

You can't use any pot on an induction hob as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_hob
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Link2999 View Post
    Pics?
    Of what, the blister??

FischOderAal, cheers so an aluminium case should not be affected. Daft thing here is I do actually have an induction hob, didn't make the connection between the two though.

/thinks - I'm mildly tempted to put the TP on the hob to see if it charges...
    Of what, the blister??

FischOderAal, cheers so an aluminium case should not be affected. Daft thing here is I do actually have an induction hob, didn't make the connection between the two though.

/thinks - I'm mildly tempted to put the TP on the hob to see if it charges...
    I don't know why, but when I first read you post, I kept thinking "metal is bad,
    don't get the terminator's hand between the Touchpad and the Touchstone charger..."
    I never would have thought of this. Tonight, I'll be working on a hot dog cooker accessory for the touchpad.
    geekpeter and creepycat like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    I never would have thought of this. Tonight, I'll be working on a hot dog cooker accessory for the touchpad.
    My family made tacos last night... first time in my life that I've ever had a taco.(yes, I know)

Only wish I had save a tortilla to see if it can be warmed up with the Touchstone charger.
    (which was delivered to me only this morning)
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Never having had access to an induction charger of any size before, it didn't even cross my mind that there might be a problem.
    I've never had access to a megawatt laser, but I know I don't want to stand in front of one when it's running. It's basic physics.
    xandros9 and chrisjpopp like this.

I came here to post the same warning. I think I have the same case from eBAY with the button snap on the back. Anyway the button on the back of the HP TP case melted circular grooves into my touchstone and when I grabbed my TP I burned my leg just a bit... I put it down for less than a second and YOOWWWW...
    Anyone have a case with zippers on the outside? Any issues when using a touchstone?
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    I've never had access to a megawatt laser, but I know I don't want to stand in front of one when it's running. It's basic physics.
    I'd thank you for the warning but I don't want to inflate your ego past critical.
    beardedspoooon likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
    Anyone have a case with zippers on the outside? Any issues when using a touchstone?
    I think as long as the zipper is not between the charger and the TP you should be fine, if not you'll notice the metal zip getting warm pretty quickly.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast