1.    #1  
    I just got one of the $99 16GB TouchPads, and am enjoying it so far. I do have a question/concern about the charger though... When I plug the TP into my Playbook charger, which is the same voltage/current, the TP gives me the 'incompatible charger' message and will not charge. Do I specifically need a TouchPad charger, or are there others that will work? I am asking this question because I would definitely want to buy a second TP charger for when the original one fails before accessory supplies dry up if I absolutely need it. Thanks!
    it needs 2amps and 10 volts minimum.

honestly, the are going for less than $15 these days, so it's worth it to grab a couple of extra ones.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it needs 2amps and 10 volts minimum.

honestly, the are going for less than $15 these days, so it's worth it to grab a couple of extra ones.
    10V?
    sorry, 10w is what it comes with. I assume that is the minimum.
    10w at 5v will produce 2amps.
    SharpieFiend / Cantaffordit,

Hi, the Wattage is the nominal operating value when the device is consuming power, it is not a "benchmark" for the supplying current from the charger.

Even if a charger is supply 2A like the one for Apple iPad 2 with a USB jack, it will NOT charge a HP TouchPad properly (i.e. an error message will show). Some suspect that it may use a circuit to pull a unique value to "identify" if the connected device / charger is an intended model that can take / supply the 2A supply. This design has been used for some cellphone and camera batteries / chargers. Some of us including myself have tried to swap the iPad 2 and TouchPad chargers, to see if they work with each other properly... http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...er-only-2.html

Anyway, it may not mean other chargers may not charging at all. It may simply take longer time to do the job with lower supply.
    Last edited by howi; 09/08/2011 at 03:11 PM.
    thanks. My understanding of electricity is minimal at best!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    not to thread jack, but will a car charger work on a touchpad? i have this: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Vehic...bosnation0e-20

seems it's only 950-1000Mah looking at reviews. are there any car chargers that will work with TP?
    something like Newegg.com - PYLE Plug in Car iPad/iPhone/iPod Charger With Dual Port Compatiable PLICH2 should work since it's just a basic usb 2.1a output, haven't tried it personally though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiben View Post
    something like Newegg.com - PYLE Plug in Car iPad/iPhone/iPod Charger With Dual Port Compatiable PLICH2 should work since it's just a basic usb 2.1a output, haven't tried it personally though.
    As was posted above, a great many 2 amp iPad chargers have been found not to properly charge the Touchpad (or Android tablets for that matter).

Some will trickle charge, some won't, though I've not seen any that give a full 2 amp charge out of the box.

The issue (if I recall correctly) is that Apple products require different USB power pinouts. Since most high-amperage aftermarket car chargers are made for the custom Apple specification, they cannot provide a high amperage charge to non-Apple products.

Some Android Tablet users have successfully hacked a USB cable to allow use of these high amperage chargers. I've recently read that some manufacturers are making such cables available, though I don't know any specifics, I seem to remember Dealextreme.com being suggested as a source.

Regarding the Newegg charger above, my guess is that it would - at best - trickle charge the Touchpad. Something that could be achieved much more cheaply with any cheap USB cell phone charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    not to thread jack, but will a car charger work on a touchpad? i have this: [url]

seems it's only 950-1000Mah looking at reviews. are there any car chargers that will work with TP?
    the palm-brand car charger works great, and they are cheap.
    thanks. My understanding of electricity is minimal at best!
    Hey, no problem and I am no electrician either.

But the issue for many of us with gadgets increasingly more power-hungry. Even most of them are using a USB port for charging, the required power specification may not be universal. To me, I always want to pack fewer "universal" chargers as possible on the go.

I can live with the error messages as long as it does not kill and able to recharge the battery... even it means longer recharging time.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm sure I can probably find an answer to this, but thought I'd ask here anyhow. Is the wall charger that is sold for the Touchpad the same as the Pre one? It LOOKS the same...but I suppose that doesn't mean anything.
    not the same. TP device has twice the horsepower.
    not the same. TP device has twice the horsepower.
    A bit more than twice.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What's the current thinking on this? I am in the UK and need a second charger for my office.
    10w at 5v will produce 2amps.
    ...and is worth more than 2 in the bush.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What's the current thinking on this? I am in the UK and need a second charger for my office.
    See this thread for the answer. If you can't get a spare HP Barrel Charger, the Apple Chargers can be modified and provide a very neat and portable alternative. I leave my Barrel Charger at home and use these when on the go.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3248669