Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

Saw the Joby Ori case online and thought it was pretty cool. Originally $70-80, Joby is selling it for $55 now... Wasn't sure if it would fit the TP well though. Managed to find it on Amazon Warehouse (like new - still had stickers on it) for $40 so I ordered it.

Wanted to report that the ipad1 version fits the TP almost perfectly! Its about 98% close enough... The 3.5mm jack is the only thing not accessible, but I'm going to just drill a new hole for it. Both volume keys turn the volume down, but there's a small gap for the ipad rotation lock gives you access to volume up. Power button works well. Some foam padding would make up for the 2mm or so of slack but is really not necessary.

VIDEO:
    Here's a video showing that the case is tight enough that the TP is not at risk of falling out: http://www.zumodrive.com/share/eoFaMmM5ZD

I have a leather case that is far too bulky and the HP case which I love (especially with the Touchstone). The Ori is obviously not compatible with the Touchstone, but the TP is really easy to pop in and out (maybe those extra 2mm are actually a good thing), while at the same time its safe and not at risk of falling out.

The Ori is fantastically, surprisingly even, functional! I'm thoroughly impressed! Even took it to a promo table I was volunteering it today, set it to the 'Popcorn and a Movie' position and displayed promo videos on it, definitely a head turner! Sound quality / level is also unaffected.

if you've never seen it before, check it out, I'd highly recommend it, it will actually increase your Touchpad usage!

Here's the (corny) video that sold me:

The iPad 2 case video is much more sensible but not as fun, the ipad2 version won't fit the Touchpad either.

Wish they'd make a TP version, but then again, they'd want $80 for it... So for once I don't mind HP's copying the ipad specs...

I can post some pics if you guys want, am using the TP to write this while laying down, couldn't do that with any other case I think...

Lemme know if you decide to get one and how you like it. I know $40 might sound like a lot, but its a very high quality case!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaDueler; 09/10/2011 at 12:15 AM.
    do you have any pictures?
    yes please post pictures! saw the video and it sounds like a hoot to play around with!
    It appears that REI has it for $27.83

http://www.rei.com/product/824007/jo...:referralID=NA
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I would like to see some pics with the Touchpad in this. I have an HP case on the way, but I'll sell it and get this one if all I have to do is drill a little hole for the 3.5mm jack. I don't use the stone, so no issue there.

Pics please!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    It appears that REI has it for $27.83

Joby Gorillamobile Ori iPad Stand at REI.com
    I was going to say the same thing! I had to get it just for the origami reference. Picked up a pair of shoes too.
  7.    #7  
    Pictures added! REI is a good deal! How much is shipping (if you only order the Ori Case?)

EDIT: REI shipping is $5.99, free if your order is $50...
    Don't know what else I would order from there though...
    DaDueler, thanks for adding the pictures. Can I ask what is holding the TP into the case? From some of the pictures the gap looks pretty significant.

Also, from the vendor's video it appears that some of the positions rely on friction to hold the tablet at a specific angle. Does the TP's heavier (than iPad) weight prevent it from holding its position?

I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered from REI and worst case my wife can use it with her iPad 1. I also have the leather folio on order from Verizon, so I can have a bake-off between the two.
  9.    #9  
    It just 'snaps' into place. The TP's weight doesn't affect it, you can use all the positions...
    If you ordered it, I don't think you'll regret it!
    How modular is it from removal & use with the touchstone?
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Two questions

Has anyone brought one in store from rei.

Anyone have issues with placing the inside of the cover, against the screen constantly (just like the ipad2 smart cover) after it's on the table etc per the video
    hi op so everything is accessible none of the ports are covered except for the headphone jack? and there is no risk of the touchpad falling out at all and it can hold the tablet in every position?

if the answer to all 3 of these is yes i will order one it looks great!
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    went and brought one of these cases, am returning it asap, unless my touchpad is different from everyone else's this thing does not fit or work right, plus what can I say but in my opinion very ugly.

1. The tp sits high in the cavity a fraction making the lid sit up slightly

2. Length and width fit is not right so buttons will be an issue as the tp will float around the cavity, no way adjust, really don't understand how the the OP got his to "snap" in.

3. Because of the above I would not trust it staying in the cavity with some of the views that might be used, way to loose

4. Imo Just plain ugly , would not take into a meeting etc, gaps between flaps etc, die cuts all over the front back. VERY industrial

5. Inside screen flap sits on surface so picks up crap or oils etc , then when closed it is against the screen.

if you think different, enjoy
    Last edited by sjjones; 09/06/2011 at 11:40 AM.
    What contacts the touchpad? Does it have some sort of foam insert to protect the surface? The reason I ask is because it looks like metal tabs. I would be worried that the contact woulds scratch the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sreeves View Post
    What contacts the touchpad? Does it have some sort of foam insert to protect the surface? The reason I ask is because it looks like metal tabs. I would be worried that the contact woulds scratch the touchpad.

rubber, but as I said the cavity size is bigger then the touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    went and brought one of these cases, am returning it asap, unless my touchpad is different from everyone else's this thing does not fit or work right, plus what can I say but in my opinion very ugly.

1. The tp sits high in the cavity a fraction making the lid sit up slightly

2. Length and width fit is not right so buttons will be an issue as the tp will float around the cavity, no way adjust, really don't understand how the the OP got his to "snap" in.

3. Because of the above I would not trust it staying in the cavity with some of the views that might be used, way to loose

4. Imo Just plain ugly , would not take into a meeting etc, gaps between flaps etc, die cuts all over the front back. VERY industrial

5. Inside screen flap sits on surface so picks up crap or oils etc , then when closed it is against the screen.

if you think different, enjoy
    Did you purchase the IPAD 1 or IPAD 2 version? The original poster stats only the IPAD 1 version will work.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Two questions

Has anyone brought one in store from rei.

Anyone have issues with placing the inside of the cover, against the screen constantly (just like the ipad2 smart cover) after it's on the table etc per the video
    Quote Originally Posted by r_wright1 View Post
    Did you purchase the IPAD 1 or IPAD 2 version? The original poster stats only the IPAD 1 version will work.
    The one from rei, the ipad 1 version .

this case pointless wasted gas and time in buying it , try to use the volume button, it will only work lowering the volume, and that's with the tp being at the very top of the cavity, the power button does not work or I think I got it to work once?

Again there's nothing to make it snap in with tp being smaller then the cavity.

Try this if you decide to get one, have it open in a normal position, close the tp side and get ready to catch the tp , it just falls out, that's why there is NO way I would put in any raised viewing angles
    sjjones... just curious, was there a rubber or plastic flange or gasket that sits between the metal and the TP?
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    sjjones... just curious, was there a rubber or plastic flange or gasket that sits between the metal and the TP?
    The device lays into a white plastic tray (which can rotate), around that tray there is a grey plastic flange (sorry not rubber after took another look), the tray is held by a rotating pivot which is part of the outer alum cover.

Even if you added a rubber or some type of filler for any gaps, you still are blocking both speakers , and all buttons would need moving or re drilling?
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outcast View Post
    How modular is it from removal & use with the touchstone?
    really modular theres nothing to hold the TP in the tray
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast