Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I purchased both cases somewhat by accident. I ordered the HP case from CostCentral.com ($25 shipped) and the Targus Truss case from Buy.com ($40 shipped) The Targus case can be found on HP.com for $19 now, which is what I get for not waiting of course.

DJeremyC wrote another good review on this case which can be found here. arrocha87 also modified an iPad version of this case which can be seen here

I was mostly interested in the Targus Truss case as it appeared to offer the most protection from an accidental drop (Having a two year old who likes to play Need for Speed made this a concern) It is significantly heavier than the HP case but does offer more protection and give. There are holes for the speakers at the bottom and the straps that hold down the power and side volumes button are not an issue. The Volume Up button is obstructed slightly by the strap but does not press down on the button by itself, or in any orientation I've used it in.

The Targus case also is more sturdy in the stand alone position holding the TP at any of 3 angles where the HP case only allows for one position. While the gesture area appears to be covered along the edge of one whole side, it does not hamper it's use. I still have no problems minimizing cards with it in the case.

For those with a Touchstone, both cases work but I've found the Targus case has more problems as slight movements touching the TP may cause the battery to "disconnect" and "reconnect" Pretty annoying but we'll see how much of that I can take.

HP's case is noticeably lighter and thinner, the trade off being less protection. I'm also concerned with cracks developing at the openings that a number of people have witnessed. Since I bring my TP with me back and forth to work along with a small laptop I'd feel more confident with it being in the Targus case. The case does not cover the speakers and covers over the power and volume buttons but have raised plastic buttons over top of them and function perfectly. The case holds on to the TP by the outer edges so the bezel is uncovered on all four sides.

When being used with the Touchstone I found it charges in all orientations with the exception of the "Landscape" orientation with the buttons at the bottom. Which works out fine as you'd want the buttons accessible while sitting on the stand.

In the stand alone position the HP case has a neat little velcro strip to keep it secured standing up. Though I find it's more prone to being tipped over in comparison to the Targus case.

For it basically comes down to protection. The Targus case is more secure and provides better protection at the cost of weight.

My apologize for the craptastic pics. My Blackberry Bold (work phone) usually takes better pictures but I forgot to wipe the lens to make the pictures slightly less crappy. And yes, that's the original plastic film on it that will stay there until I get a chance to install my PhantomSkinz full body cover.

Hope this helps someone.

Targus Truss Case for the Touchpad

The case must be oriented this way on the Touchstone in order for it to charge wirelessly.

Comparison in size between the two.

HP Touchpad Case

Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    m1dwestrep and oldog like this.
    Nice. Thanks for all the pics. That said, that Targus case appears to obscure the "bottom" bezel in the pictured orientation...and thus, would interfere with the card minimizing gesture. That would pretty much kill it for me.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    brum likes this.
    Thanks a bunch for the pics. I have the HP case and the Targus case is coming. Have you tried to use the Targus case for typing where the case is slightly elevated? Trying to see how that could be done with the case. I'm concerned the Targus case won't allow the TP to be slightly elevated at about a 30 degree angle for typing. If the smallest angle is like the second photo with the TP brought down than up, it's probably to high for me to type.
    Thanks for the review. Not really digging the case so much. I wish they made it similar to the Targus Versavu 360 for iPad 2. Don't really like having the bezel covered.
    Curious... where are you finding the Targus for $19?
  6.    #6  
    It's my understanding that the bezel contains no sensors unlike the Pre, Veer etc. I've had no problems using the swipe up feature.

I haven't tried typing with it standing up in either case as I have the BT keyboard for that purpose.

It's $19 at HP.com I believe. There's a thread for that particular sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    It's my understanding that the bezel contains no sensors unlike the Pre, Veer etc. I've had no problems using the swipe up feature.

I haven't tried typing with it standing up in either case as I have the BT keyboard for that purpose.

It's $19 at HP.com I believe. There's a thread for that particular sale.

There's a light sensor on the front near the power button, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $only$ $used$ $for$ $the$ $auto$ $brightness$.
    Just got the Targus case yesterday. Also have both and excellent review. To add there is another position you left out. Open it up and not put into any of the grooves. It will then lay at a perfect angle for typing. Also the HP case has more than one angle. You have to fiddle a bit more with it but has 3 angles you can use, 4 if if you count standing it up horizontal.

ETA: I like the Targus case much better.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    I started a thread for it but the admins merged it with another thread about a 3 angled case. I don't know why they did because they are two totally different cases. but here is my post on it buried in the thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3116670

I believe people have said it is back-ordered but people are still ordering in hopes of getting it. HP said that they just send the order to Targus and they are the ones that fill the order. Good luck.
    Did anybody who ordered Targus case from Hp smb store receive any type of messages? cuz I ordered it on 8/30 and haven't received anything since then. anyone in the same boat?
    Quote Originally Posted by ion01 View Post
    Did anybody who ordered Targus case from Hp smb store receive any type of messages? cuz I ordered it on 8/30 and haven't received anything since then. anyone in the same boat?
    I just ordered one and I received an order confirmation email from HP about 10mins later.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    so the targus doesn't have anything that will keep the case closed?
    Whoo...DO u have a Hp slate and a touchpad?
    mikebgb12#WN likes this.
    I'm in that same boat with you. I ordered on 8/30. It says the planned delivery date is tomorrow, but it hasn't shipped yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    so the targus doesn't have anything that will keep the case closed?
    The Targus has a strap that holds the case closed. Take a look at the 9th, 10th, and 11th pictures up top, you can see the strap in it's 'non-closed' state.

To close it, you just pull the strap around to the other side.

Or, take a look here
    Thanks cschaaf and Achill3s for the answer.

To cschaaf, I guess we have to wait for a few more days.

To Achill3s, oh I forgot to say I'd received the confirmation letter too. I guess now you are in the same boat as well lol.
    I just talked to HP sub and they don't have a delivery date on these yet. I bought mine on 8/30 too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannrathers View Post
    I just talked to HP sub and they don't have a delivery date on these yet. I bought mine on 8/30 too.
    There guys are really slow. By this time, we should be already given some info about shipment at least, but they don't even have a delivey date yet....

I just hope they don't cancel the order...

Thanks about the info dannrathers.
    There guys are really slow. By this time, we should be already given some info about shipment at least, but they don't even have a delivey date yet....

I just hope they don't cancel the order...

Thanks about the info dannrathers.
    I don't think they will cancel order because Targus fills these orders so they have to wait on Targus to make more or have more available. I think I heard they will have more by Sept 15.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I called,they said they're backordered and should be in in 3 weeks
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast