Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjnb420 View Post
    I'm sorry to be such a bother, but even with your instructions I can not seem to get this to work correctly. I was very excited to put the case on last night and try what you wrote, but could not successfully get it to charge. I believe I understand the description. When you say slotted side, are you referring to the side with all the different positioning areas? I have that side resting on my table, while the tablet rests in the holding side, the side with extra padding behind it. This is why I can not get it to charge this way, because the extra padding behind the case makes it too thick. When I look at the positioning of the case and touchpad relative to the touchstone they are not making a flush connection, and even if I force them by pushing it flush, it still does not charge. If I'm still doing this wrong, can you please try explaining it once more differently or post a picture. I feel so dumb, but really want this case to work, so I don't have to get another and possibly get rid of this one.
    First of all, I'm a newbie to this forum and have been absorbing all the wonderful knowledge being shared. Thanks to neoGTR22 and DJeremyC for their reviews. I was able to get a Targus case from Staples.ca quite easily.

Regarding charging the Touchstone dock while the case is on, as DJeremyC mentioned, first close the cover. To charge in landscape orientation, position the TP/case with the spine of the case at the bottom, with the cover facing away from the dock. To charge in portrait orientation, position the TP/case (again closed) with the spine to the left. The TP itself does not need to physically be in direct contact with the dock; the charging occurs right through the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by RemusL View Post
    First of all, I'm a newbie to this forum and have been absorbing all the wonderful knowledge being shared. Thanks to neoGTR22 and DJeremyC for their reviews. I was able to get a Targus case from Staples.ca quite easily.

Regarding charging the Touchstone dock while the case is on, as DJeremyC mentioned, first close the cover. To charge in landscape orientation, position the TP/case with the spine of the case at the bottom, with the cover facing away from the dock. To charge in portrait orientation, position the TP/case (again closed) with the spine to the left. The TP itself does not need to physically be in direct contact with the dock; the charging occurs right through the case.
    Thank you for the further explanation RemusL and for your original one DJeremyC. I have successfully got it to charge in portrait mode per your instructions, but still can not achieve landscape mode. It's not that I don't understand, your instructions were crystal clear, but I just can't get it without pushing on the back of the touchstone so it comes closer to the case. I've also tried different touchstone orientations/angles, so maybe the weight of the touchpad and case would come closer to the touchstone, but still no good. I've concluded that portrait is good enough to make me keep the targus case. I really didn't want to get rid of it since it is so nice. Thanks again.

You MUST be talking about charging the TouchPad in the Landscape position in the HP OEM TouchPad case, not the Targus case. I don't see how it can be done. I've tried for 45 minutes.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    You MUST be talking about charging the TouchPad in the Landscape position in the HP OEM TouchPad case, not the Targus case. I don't see how it can be done. I've tried for 45 minutes.
    Funny, was just about to message and tell you how I got it work, but now I'm not so sure.

I couldn't get the Targus case to work in the Touchstone (Touchstone just delivered today...ordered from HP two days ago). I took the TP out of the case and put it into the Touchstone and it said charging. I then put the TP back in the Targus case, and now it worked!

But then 10min I heard a beep. I looked at the TP and the word "Charging" kept flipping on and off on the screen. The get this...I removed the TP from the dock, and even still the word "Charging" was flipping on and off.

I just did a Luna restart. I'll keep playing with it, but so far this doesn't seem promising.

Dammit, tried again and the same thing. With "Charging" flipping back and forth, I just stuck the TP without the case and it still flips around "Charging". grrrr
    Last edited by asif9t9; 10/14/2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    So reading this thread and trying for myself, I can only conclude that if you want to try to Targus Truss Case with the Touchstone, you just have to hope you're lucky enough to get it to work. The people who say it worked seemingly had no problem. Some of us can't get it to work. Something's up.

Right now I'm trying it in Portait mode (spine of case to the left) and it's working so far....but we'll see how consistent it is. If not, I'll have to splurge even more for the original HP case.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Finally, got my Truss case from Ebay.

Like it A LOT more than the HP case.

Love the build quality and the feel of the case.

A+
    Two points I've noticed as a recent Truss owner:

1) Just about every review, even on the Targus website seems to miss the stylus pocket under the base of the tablet, or to the left in portrait mode.

2) Charging on the TouchStone is portrait mode, with the cover opened out like a book is fairly easy to do. Landscape mode, least till the outer flap gets broken in, the charging & not-charging indicators flip flop as the gap is just at the range limit.
    Perhaps in time and the flap gets used and more flexible landscape charging won't be an issue as with a new case has.
    Only other way I can see getting around this is to cut 1/2" to 3/4" plastic off the top, then epoxying a spare piece of plastic material just behind the plastic to allow the leather flap seam to have space, and allowing the case to drop down into the TouchStone charger better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Targus Truss THZ07202US Carrying Case (Flap) for 9.7" Tablet PC - Black, Gray $15.95 plus $3.49 Shipping for a total of $19.44

BARNES & NOBLE | Targus Truss THZ07202US Carrying Case (Flap) for 9.7" Tablet PC - Black, Gray by Targus Group International
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Truss owner here. It came with my TP. But then I got the Touchstone and it was too frustrating always having to be so exactly placing the the TP on the dock. So I got the HP case last week and so far it's been beautiful. Maybe the TP isn't as protected, but it's been fine getting shoved in my bag. And I wouldn't want to drop it no matter the case.

So if you don't have the Touchstone, go with the Truss case. If you do have the Touchstone, go with the HP case.
    I have the HP case and it fits perfectly and charges no problem on the stone. I had to add a little strip of velcro to the top gesture area of the screen. That was the biggest disappointment of the HP case, that the flap has no way of staying shut. I can't believe some engineers out there and also the quality departments for certain designs in general and how they can let some products out to the marketplace. Aside from that rant, just put your own velcro on the screen and you will be fine. The cro, vel-wise doesn't interfere with the gesture area, for me at least, because with the HP case always on, the cro is at the top of the screen.

Anyway, that's my review for the HP Case
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    No, I *was* able to charge the TouchPad in landscape mode while it was in the Targus case. Having said that, my sister-in-law's TP using a Targus case would not allow charging in landscape so it's clearly a finicky position to get induction charging to work properly.

It's kind of a moot point now since after the recent 3.0.4 webOS update, the TouchPad won't charge at all while in the Targus case whether in landscape OR portrait orientation. I have to remove the case for the Touchstone charging to work.
    No, I *was* able to charge the TouchPad in landscape mode while it was in the Targus case. Having said that, my sister-in-law's TP using a Targus case would not allow charging in landscape so it's clearly a finicky position to get induction charging to work properly.
    It's kind of a moot point now since after the recent 3.0.4 webOS update, the TouchPad won't charge at all while in the Targus case whether in landscape OR portrait orientation. I have to remove the case for the Touchstone charging to work.
    I have the similar issue. Before updating to v.3.0.4, my TouchPad in Targus case could be charged on charging dock in both landscape and portrait position without any problem. But after v.3.0.4 update, the TouchPad in the Targus case can't be charged in either orientation. Does anyone figure out why?
    Quote Originally Posted by dahw0706 View Post
    I have the similar issue. Before updating to v.3.0.4, my TouchPad in Targus case could be charged on charging dock in both landscape and portrait position without any problem. But after v.3.0.4 update, the TouchPad in the Targus case can't be charged in either orientation. Does anyone figure out why?
    HP changed the sensitivity when they did the update--they fixed something that wasn't broken. Many people with different types of covers can't charge on the touchstone anymore (a few people with the HP case have had a problem but mostly people with other cases). HP knows it is an issue but who knows if they will actually set it back to the previous setting.
    Thank you for the info Elsie, as I thought I was going crazy. Hadn't had any problems charging it before with the Truss case, and thought it might be the 3.02 update. But that would be crazy! Any word on a Preware 'fix' for this? Thanks very much!
    Note to all still in this thread:

1) Correct, the Targus Truss case will NOT charge in the case after the 3.0.4 update.
    2) Prior to the update it would charge in just about any case in both landscape and portrait mode. The Targus one was in the outer limits. One thing I noticed after I got my wife's pad is that it will not charge in the case IF you have a skin on it also (Skinomi, ZAGG IS etc). I guess it puts it just outside a comfortable limit.

Overall still love my Targus case as it is sturdy and still holding up well after about 6mths. Again P!$$ED about not being able to keep it in the case now. HP should make it a toggle switch in the settings to either let hte compass work or not (the reasoning behind changing the charging range setting) that way you can decide to charge in the case or not.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightslide View Post
    Thank you for the info Elsie, as I thought I was going crazy. Hadn't had any problems charging it before with the Truss case, and thought it might be the 3.02 update. But that would be crazy! Any word on a Preware 'fix' for this? Thanks very much!
    I wish there was a Preware fix for this. I'm hoping HP will fix it. I did the update to 3.0.4 almost the day it came out and realized there was a problem right away. Prior to the update I had no problem charging in either landscape or portrait mode. Now, I get nothing--it's like I bought a stand for the TP.

I opened a ticket with the Butler service that day--took me a couple days to get to level 3. According to that person, they are supposedly working on the issue now but I guess we won't know until the next update. Frankly, they need to fix this or pay me for either my touchstones or my cases since I can only use one now (and HP sold me the cases as working with the touchstone).
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Note to all still in this thread:

1) Correct, the Targus Truss case will NOT charge in the case after the 3.0.4 update.
    2) Prior to the update it would charge in just about any case in both landscape and portrait mode. The Targus one was in the outer limits. One thing I noticed after I got my wife's pad is that it will not charge in the case IF you have a skin on it also (Skinomi, ZAGG IS etc). I guess it puts it just outside a comfortable limit.

Overall still love my Targus case as it is sturdy and still holding up well after about 6mths. Again P!$$ED about not being able to keep it in the case now. HP should make it a toggle switch in the settings to either let hte compass work or not (the reasoning behind changing the charging range setting) that way you can decide to charge in the case or not.
    I hope you contact HP and let them know both about the problem and your displeasure with the problem. The more people that complain/open tickets, the more reason they'll have to fix it. Nobody that I know uses the compass but loads of people use the touchstone--clearly someone didn't do the math when they thought that was a good trade off.
    Last edited by elsie2; 11/08/2011 at 11:29 AM.

Here's my Official TP Case Video. Let me know what you guys think...

Pea Soup

Dan
    Wow, I just watched that video and noticed how bad the Pre- video capture is!! Sorry for the poor video quality. I just can't seem to give up my Palm Pre- from Sprint even though I'm over my 2 year contract by 6 months. Man, that Pre 3 scrap from HP was such let down, dag nabbit. Soup.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I have a question does the touchpad still charge with the targus leather case in CyanogenMod when the 3.04 update is installed

I just got this case from staples today because my HP case it kind of falling apart and I am trying to decide if i want to keep it
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast