Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a portable external battery with USB out that can be used with the Touchpad?

Many of these pocket-sized batteries are meant for smartphones... are they powerful
    enough to charge or power the Touchpad?(which required a 2A adapter to charge)

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...1&format=2

I haven't bought this one yet, but I have bought other back up batteries as well as a ton of other things from monoprice and have always been very happy with their products. I'm probably going to get one of these myself pretty soon. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    for some reason the link won't take me to the product page. Once on the site, (monoprice.com) search for 7800mAh universal external backup battery.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhandle View Post
    for some reason the link won't take me to the product page. Once on the site, (monoprice.com) search for 7800mAh universal external backup battery.
    Thanks!

I also found one on Amazon that's rated 10,000mAh and they claim that it works
    with the iPad... so I imagine that it should also work with the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Yeah, it should work fine as long as it has a USB out. How much was that one?
    It even has two usb ports labeled 5v1a and 5v2.1a and neither ports will charge or so the Touchpad tells me to reliably charge, use the adapter it came with. Do you think they put a chip in it to just tell us that, if it's not a pc or their charger, like Dell does with their latops?
    has anyone got the external battery from monoprice and is working??? can the external battery be 5V 2A or does have to be 5.3V w/ 2A?
    I just got the Monoprice one AND......

IT WORKS..... BEAUTIFULLY.

Fully charged my Verizon MiFi, AND then even had enough juice to charge a half drained Touchpad, and have charge to spare.

Totally awesome, IMHO. I got it for $30+shipping, on sale......

(One note, the TP did give me a "notice" that it was plugged into a charger that wasnt giving "fully" voltage, BUT it charged, and rapidly, none-the-less).
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    I just got the Monoprice one AND......

IT WORKS..... BEAUTIFULLY.

Fully charged my Verizon MiFi, AND then even had enough juice to charge a half drained Touchpad, and have charge to spare.

Totally awesome, IMHO. I got it for $30+shipping, on sale......

(One note, the TP did give me a "notice" that it was plugged into a charger that wasnt giving "fully" voltage, BUT it charged, and rapidly, none-the-less).
    what model did you buy? 7800mAh one?
    Quote Originally Posted by alexp318 View Post
    what model did you buy? 7800mAh one?
    Yes. Its the size of the packs of cards, stacked on top of each other.
    These types of battery backups were used to power the flux capacitor inside the Delorean when it was getting low on juice and it can do the same for your high end USB devices that need the same type of charging power.
    If there ever was a selling point, that's got to be it. I'm very tempted to order one of these right now
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    Yes. Its the size of the packs of cards, stacked on top of each other.
    Are you talking about the 7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices? Product ID: 8295. It says this on the product page: "This device is not compatible with the Galaxy tablet, the HP tablet, or any other device with a non-standard voltage or current requirement!"
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVESKI07 View Post
    Are you talking about the 7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices? Product ID: 8295. It says this on the product page: "This device is not compatible with the Galaxy tablet, the HP tablet, or any other device with a non-standard voltage or current requirement!"
    What can I say, except that I have one, and IT WORKS.

You may get a "there is insufficient power from the adaptor that you plugged in" message, AT TIMES, but it STILL fully charges my TP, with no issues.
    I think the TP WILL charge from 5V supplies even if they are not up to the 'recommended' 2Amp current output.
    After all the notebooks that caught fire a few years ago due to battery issues, HP were probably being very 'cautious'.. ie: not wanting people to melt lower amperage 5v supplies whilst the TP was trying to suck 2 Amps out of it!
    The current draw is probably relative to how discharged the L-ion TP batt is when initially put on charge. USB powered 5v will likely 'trickle' charge according to the Amps available from it.

(I quite like the look of the Seagate 500Gb GoFlex Satellite External Wifi HDD too, incidentally!):

iPad and Touchpad owners: is this the 500GB hard drive you've been looking for? - News - PC & Tech Authority

~~~

if you load up govnah, you can see how much current is flowing to or from your hp battery. if you go from -700ma to +1300 you are getting a 2a charge. Would like to know how that 7800 battery works out. Shame its not on sale anymore but wouldn't mind picking it up in a few months.
    I have one too and it does charge my TP...just not as fast as the wall charger that came with the TP.

I was hopping to be able to charge it faster. I have a cable I picked up from NewEgg. It has two male USB plugs on one end and a micro USB on the other.

I tried it using Govnah multiple times with my 7800 Monoprice battery.
    - the black USB plugged in
    - the red USB plugged in
    - both the red and black USB plugged in

It didn't seem to make any difference ... I was getting from 633 to 813 MA, at 50% light and no WiFi using the Govnah to measure the current.
    I have one of these Amazon.com: i.Sound Portable Power Max with 16,000 mAh for iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPhone, Droid, and Blackberry: Electronics

It works for any device that uses 2.4A of current or less. The TouchPad uses 2A of current for charging. Plus it has 16,000 mAh! That's a lot of portable power. It has 5 usb ports for multiple device charging. And features a mostly useless flashlight lol.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have two of these from new trent. it charges both my Pre3 and my Touchpad simultaneously, which is glorious. Made my own powerbag (kinda sorta). $46/ea with free shipping at buy.com

Buy.com - New Trent Arcadia Pack IMP70D 7000mAh External Battery Pack and Charger for iPad2, iPad, iPhone 4G, 3Gs 3G , iPod Touch 4G, Motorola Droid, HTC Android Phones, Blackberry, Kindle DX, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung EPIC, Nintendo, Sony PSP
    I want a PowerBag so bad.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast