Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ceejay83
  1.    #1  
    how durable is the official Touchpad case made by HP?

It appears to be made with some kind of hardened rubber material.

Is the flap likely to tear or break off with normal daily use? (open/close, folding into a stand, etc)

Thanks!
    Rubber is more durable than leather.

I don't have this case, and just placed an order in amazon ($25 prime delivery).
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I've had the case for almost 2 months and it seems very durable. Only issue that I've seen with it so far is the thin strip of rubber at the edge at the USB port tends to stretch/distort a little bit so WARNING, if your are OCD and things llike this drive you crazy and you stay up all night worrying about little things like this, you have been warned.
    I am impressed with the quality and design.
    I have it and it seems to be very good, and is only $19.99 + tax at office depot
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I like it a lot. Can't say anything to durability, as I have only had it a week, but it feels really nice, is slim, and has great grip...the support angles are really nice, and it doesn't cover the bezel at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    You might want to be careful with blanket statements like that. How many shoes do you know of made of rubber?

As a motorcyclist, I'm glad my riding jacket and other gear are made of leather. Crashing in rubber pants at 90mph sounds painful.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sofauxboho View Post
    You might want to be careful with blanket statements like that. How many shoes do you know of made of rubber?

As a motorcyclist, I'm glad my riding jacket and other gear are made of leather. Crashing in rubber pants at 90mph sounds painful.
    While searching for Touchpad cases, I noticed that they sell a motorcycle mount
    for the Touchpad.... I don't ride motorcycles, but that just seems like a silly
    (if not dangerous) idea to me.

Arent most shoe outsoles made of rubber? Lol Imagine the wear and tear of a shoe outsole if they were leather. Im Pretty sure rubber > Leather. The Reason why why have rubber tires opposed to leather tires on our motorcycles haha.

when you're crashing at 90+ mph the last thing that matters is if your gear is made of leather.
    Frenzalo likes this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post

I don't have this case, and just placed an order in amazon ($25 prime delivery).
    From where? I checked everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by zandroid View Post
    From where? I checked everywhere.
    Only lasted a few hours.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    Probably a tad big, and don't know yet if there are any good mapping apps, but I could see it being used both as a GPS and as a music player. I used to have a dedicated Garmin on my bike, and would have really liked one that also played music.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I got mine yesterday from Amazon. I am very pleased with it and the build quality seems very good. My only gripe is that the cover doesn't 'snap' shut in any way. Not a big deal really, but it would have been a nice touch to have a magnetic snap or even a velcro strip or something. The stand functionality works great though.
    Can you even use this case to hold up the TouchPad in a vertical position? That's the only reason I haven't purchased it because it doesn't seem like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    Yeah... Even the idea of riding without gloves such that the screen is touch-able gives me the willies!

I've used my iPhone and Nexus One in a mount on a motorcycle as a GPS, but a whole tablet? That seems a bit much.

That said, while I was over in German Lenovo was running a subway ad campaign showing a motorcycle speeding across the desert with a Thinkpad strapped to the tank...
    Quote Originally Posted by Neonn View Post
    Arent most shoe outsoles made of rubber? Lol Imagine the wear and tear of a shoe outsole if they were leather. Im Pretty sure rubber > Leather. The Reason why why have rubber tires opposed to leather tires on our motorcycles haha.
    There are a few leather-soled shoes, but it's true, the sole doesn't last terribly long.

The nice thing about rubber is that it can be made in any thickness (and also different grippy-ness) where as leather only comes in the small range available from a cow.

Point is, leather is more durable in many applications, while rubber is likely more durable in others. Blanket statements disparaging leather just make me cranky.

All that said, I suspect a well crafted case made of quality leather will outlast a rubber one. But a rubber one will certainly outlast a crappy leather case.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Can you even use this case to hold up the TouchPad in a vertical position? That's the only reason I haven't purchased it because it doesn't seem like it.
    The tablet can't be held vertically, but it will hold it upright horizontally.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    when you're crashing at 90+ mph the last thing that matters is if your gear is made of leather.
    Surprisingly no. Watch professional racers crash. So long as your gear can take the slide, your big problem isn't the short fall from the bike to the ground, or the long slide along it, it's hitting something else before you come to a stop, like a fence or another rider. (Or, in the real world, a car or a tree.)

The other big trouble is that most people tend to try to stand up and start walking while they're still sliding at about 20mph. The human brain can be pretty bad with velocity sometimes.
    I think its a great case, its sleek and provides great protection. I wouldnt get anything else, as I had a chinese made case for my G tablet (sold after touchpad) and it wasnt 100% fit , was quite irritating.