1.    #1  
    I bought a touchstone back for my pixi plus just a few weeks ago, and already the magnet that holds the flap closed has been lost. I knew that this was a problem with the touchstone back, and I was going to take the magnet out and superglue it back in at some point. But, I was lazy, and now it's too late as the magnet has disappeared.

Has anyone figured out a way to get a replacement flap magnet without having to buy a whole new back? I just need a tiny little magnet, the rest of the back is still fine..

I'm holding the flap closed with electrical tape at the moment, but this of course limits my ability to access the usb port for when I want to connect the phone to my computer. Not a permanent solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeybeep View Post
    I bought a touchstone back for my pixi plus just a few weeks ago, and already the magnet that holds the flap closed has been lost. I knew that this was a problem with the touchstone back, and I was going to take the magnet out and superglue it back in at some point. But, I was lazy, and now it's too late as the magnet has disappeared.

Has anyone figured out a way to get a replacement flap magnet without having to buy a whole new back? I just need a tiny little magnet, the rest of the back is still fine..

I'm holding the flap closed with electrical tape at the moment, but this of course limits my ability to access the usb port for when I want to connect the phone to my computer. Not a permanent solution.
    RadioShack was doing closeouts on those backs for a while - $2 or so. If they don't have any - you could try contacting this site: TouchstoneMods.com they sell Sedio backs modified to work with Pre's - and they have both normal and high strength magnet options. When someone buys a high strength magnet option the regular strength stuff is not used - and so it's potentially something they might be willing to give or sell you to fix yours.

BTW - I thought (and I could be wrong) that the standard palm back didn't have a magnet at all - I thought it was just a magnetically attracted metal like steel. The modified backs that the site above makes use magnets to counteract the increased weight of the Sedio battery.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip about radioshack, I'll definitely call a few local radioshacks to see if they still have any. The ones by me never sold any of the phones or touchpads, but they might still have accessories.

I'm actually only talking about the magnet that is used to keep the usb flap closed. The original pixi back had the same design, but the magnet was not exposed. The touchstone back had an exposed magnet that held the flap closed, and this is the magnet that I've lost. The magnets in the back itself are still ok, for now anyway.

I'll try touchstonemods anyway, definitely worth a try. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeybeep View Post
    IThe original pixi back had the same design, but the magnet was not exposed. The touchstone back had an exposed magnet that held the flap closed, and this is the magnet that I've lost.
    Good luck finding anything Palm left at Radio Shack. I think we cleared them all out months ago.

But Unclevanya is right. The magnet is on the phone itself. If you open the flap and look at the phone, you will see two little squares above the USB port. Those are the magnets. The part in the cover is just a piece of steel for the magnet to attract. You if you've got enough determination, you could probably cut and grind a piece of steel to fit in the empty slot yourself. I'm thinking if you've got an old PC case laying around you don't mind buggering, it might be a good place to look for metal to cut. I'd do it with some tin snips and a Dremel.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5.    #5  
    Ahhh, I understand now.. Ok, just any piece of magnetized metal would work. It would still be easier if I could just find that bit that fell out of the flap... it was there one second, then gone the next. I know it's somewhere in the general area of my computer, but it probably went flying somewhere. Sigh. At least I didn't spend very much on the back.