webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Touchstone not charging Touchpad
Touchstone not charging Touchpad
Like Tree1Likes

Old 08/27/2011, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Good afternoon fellow webOS users!

Just got a touchpad a few weeks ago, not during the firesale, but during the HP & Staples combo sale weekend. A few days ago I picked up a touchstone and everything seemed to work fine. But today, when I place the touchpad on the touchstone, the notification flashes saying "Charging..", and the lightening bolt appears for a second, but then it disappears. As my thread title suggests, it doesn't charge when this happens. A few things to note:

- i have it in the proper orientation (camera to the left, usb port to the right in landscape). even portrain mode (camera on top) exhibits the same issue
- regular outlet charger works fine
- even switched the wall outlet adapters and the issue persists
- when on the touchstone, exhibition mode doesn't initiate automatically
- did all the customary reboots except a full device reset to factory settings

I'm wondering if it's a software issue? I recently installed Adanced Reset homebrew app which I have since then uninstalled. Also installed a couple other apps and synced music to it for the first time right before noticing the issue.

Seems like i've covered all the bases short of it being an actual issue with my touchstone. It's such a simple device...what is there to break on it?

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PS - Thank goodness for Preware. All the patches make this thing FLY. Would've returned the thing if it weren't for the performance bumps.
iamthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

maybe you have a faulty touchstone, make sure wires on touchstone are not loose. Remove any cover from TP if you have any. Try again. I have the advance reset patch, and the TP and TS works just fine
Old 08/27/2011, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have a touchstone for my TouchPad, so I am only speaking from experience with the Pre. Have you tried shifted your TouchPad slightly on the touchstone? Sometimes a couple of mm make a difference with the Pre.
Old 08/27/2011, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

this happened to me.

its an easy fix:

while its plugged in, grab hold of the cylindrical part and twist it clockwise...that should do it.
mistaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Kyralessa
Old 08/27/2011, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Even gone as far as doing a full reset and trying it on antother Touchstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthailand View Post
Good afternoon fellow webOS users!

Just got a touchpad a few weeks ago, not during the firesale, but during the HP & Staples combo sale weekend. A few days ago I picked up a touchstone and everything seemed to work fine. But today, when I place the touchpad on the touchstone, the notification flashes saying "Charging..", and the lightening bolt appears for a second, but then it disappears. As my thread title suggests, it doesn't charge when this happens. A few things to note:

- i have it in the proper orientation (camera to the left, usb port to the right in landscape). even portrain mode (camera on top) exhibits the same issue
- regular outlet charger works fine
- even switched the wall outlet adapters and the issue persists
- when on the touchstone, exhibition mode doesn't initiate automatically
- did all the customary reboots except a full device reset to factory settings

I'm wondering if it's a software issue? I recently installed Adanced Reset homebrew app which I have since then uninstalled. Also installed a couple other apps and synced music to it for the first time right before noticing the issue.

Seems like i've covered all the bases short of it being an actual issue with my touchstone. It's such a simple device...what is there to break on it?

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PS - Thank goodness for Preware. All the patches make this thing FLY. Would've returned the thing if it weren't for the performance bumps.

alvin319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

@mistaox - it's done that, even switched outlet adapter with the one that came with the TP...no luck.

@alvin319 - glad to know that i'm not crazy ha.

i hope i don't have to return this to newegg because it seems like their out of stock.
Old 08/27/2011, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know this may sound crazy, but the TP only charges in two positions I have found on the Touchstone. (at least my experience)
Landscape mode- camera is showing on the left, home button on right.
Portrait - camera on top, home button on bottom.

I originally tried landscape mode with the home button on the left and it didn't appear to charge. It's a shame and it would have made charging with the cover on a bit simpler.
beachin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geekaren
Old 08/28/2011, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

So after doing more testing and running Webos Doctor twice with no luck. I have tested it on someone elses Touchstone and theres on mine, theres worked fine on mine and theres. Mine did not work on either. So I broke down and called HP support. They are going to fix or replace under warranty in 7-10 days is what I was told. Here is the number 1-866-945-7256.

Quote:
@mistaox - it's done that, even switched outlet adapter with the one that came with the TP...no luck.

@alvin319 - glad to know that i'm not crazy ha.

i hope i don't have to return this to newegg because it seems like their out of stock.

Old 08/28/2011, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

HP will fix it? Does that mean you have to send your TP to them? Interesting.

And even though I know it's pretty easy to restore all my apps to a replacement TP thanks to the webOS account, I still feel like it's a hassle. Another thing to worry about is that they may not even have replacements anymore!

The fact that it may be a device issue is a real bummer. Makes me think that it's something software related, just can't figure it out.
Old 08/29/2011, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, they will fix it. They are sending me a prepaid box and it will return in 7-10 days. It is under warranty and they have to fix it or replace it as they have said they are honoring there one year warranty.

Quote:
HP will fix it? Does that mean you have to send your TP to them? Interesting.

And even though I know it's pretty easy to restore all my apps to a replacement TP thanks to the webOS account, I still feel like it's a hassle. Another thing to worry about is that they may not even have replacements anymore!

The fact that it may be a device issue is a real bummer. Makes me think that it's something software related, just can't figure it out.

Old 08/29/2011, 08:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

@alvin319 - did yours ever work with the touchstone? mine worked the first day then stopped.

THanks for the input by the way! I don't have another touchstone to test it with unfortunately.
Old 08/29/2011, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yes mine worked for three days and then quit.

Quote:
@alvin319 - did yours ever work with the touchstone? mine worked the first day then stopped.

THanks for the input by the way! I don't have another touchstone to test it with unfortunately.

Old 08/29/2011, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Since I keep mine in the case all of the time, I might just return the touchstone. Charging with the case does work, but using exhibition mode with the case flap dangling doesn't quite look right. May just use the case as a stand and plug the USB cable in. I can manually start exhibition mode if i wanted to as well.

Can you tell that I'm trying as hard as I can to justify NOT sending my TP to HP? ha possible? ha
Old 08/29/2011, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok, So after plaing with this some more I did something that I tell no one to try with electronics. I tapped on the back of the touchpad a few dozen times with the case on and low and behold it is charging on the touchstone again. Might not send it back after all. Will have to see over the next few days.

Quote:
Since I keep mine in the case all of the time, I might just return the touchstone. Charging with the case does work, but using exhibition mode with the case flap dangling doesn't quite look right. May just use the case as a stand and plug the USB cable in. I can manually start exhibition mode if i wanted to as well.

Can you tell that I'm trying as hard as I can to justify NOT sending my TP to HP? ha possible? ha

Thanked by cdh, rwcrossman
Old 08/29/2011, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

A "tap" on the back? A light tape or did you actually hit the darn thing?

Maybe if we blow on the USB port it'll run faster lol. Regardless, I hope that works for you...
Old 08/30/2011, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

oh man I'm having the same problem and I don't have the receipt! Did HP ask for a copy of the receipt?
grffn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 08:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

No they look at when you registered it on your palm profile.But mine has worked for me since I tapped on the back of the touchpad a few times. I have 30days to send it back so we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grffn24 View Post
oh man I'm having the same problem and I don't have the receipt! ][/B]Did HP ask for a copy of the receipt?

Old 09/06/2011, 07:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
No they look at when you registered it on your palm profile.But mine has worked for me since I tapped on the back of the touchpad a few times. I have 30days to send it back so we will see.
Out of interest, how do you actually register the Touchstone?

FYI I was having the same difficulty, but after a few bangs on the back of the TouchPad it now seems to be working! Is this an official tip?
dr_lha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sounds like its a loose wire that connects to the metal conduits on the inside of the back lid. But anyways, how you register: Call the hp support line and they will ask you for the serial number on the white portion of the box. Its that easy. I bought mine off of craigslist, and called and registered it within a few minutes.

Edit: thats how to register the touchpad, i have no idea about the touchstone.

Last edited by jason.hamilton; 09/06/2011 at 09:58 AM.
jason.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 11:45 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm in the exact same boat as alvin319. I put my TouchPad on the touchstone, and I wake up to a dead battery. It's a reverse touchstone! I see the charging symbol, as well. I've tried it with and without the case. I'll try it on the wife's touchstone tonight.

My touchstone/TouchPad combo also worked properly for a few days before it became a reverse touchstone. I've also noticed that the back of my TouchPad is really warm after I take it off of the touchstone.

I'll try the bang theory after testing the other touchstone...

-X
Xebec01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0