Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i've a question about it. is there an actual texture to it? or is the skin just a flat surface with a picture of a texture? i was looking at the leather one but it would be nice if there was some texture to it, even if it was subtle
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    i've a question about it. is there an actual texture to it? or is the skin just a flat surface with a picture of a texture? i was looking at the leather one but it would be nice if there was some texture to it, even if it was subtle
    There is definitely texture to the skin. When I was at Fusion of Ideas the other day I also looked at the leather one as well. It feels like leather...but we all know that's it pleather. HAHA
    So if I were to get this, what case should I get for it?

I mean I don't want to just slam that into a backpack or bag...
    Quote Originally Posted by richhoff View Post
    I also ordered the black carbon fiber version off Ebay for $17.95 plus $5 shipping. Just got it in the mail today, so I'll be installing it shortly. Thanks for showing your's.
    Did you get the "Fusion of Ideas" - 'Stealth Armour' skin for that price, or was it another brand? That seems very cheap, compared to what they're asking for it from their website (nearly 2x as much).

And do you happen to have any pictures of the install?
    And to the OP: You said the install was "easy" - and also mention "a few hours later". Was the actual install much quicker, and it was a few hours later, after you received it, you installed it?

Never installed one of these before - how easy/hard is it actually? Did you do any "prep" work prior to installing? Would like to kinda know how to do this, prior to even dropping $25 (discounted price, plus shipping) and having it come out horrendous. Do you get once chance to install it, or if you make a mistake, can you un-peel it, and reapply?
    Might be cheaper because it looks like it only comes with the back cover and not the screen protector.

I'll find out when mine gets in.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
    And to the OP: You said the install was "easy" - and also mention "a few hours later". Was the actual install much quicker, and it was a few hours later, after you received it, you installed it?

Never installed one of these before - how easy/hard is it actually? Did you do any "prep" work prior to installing? Would like to kinda know how to do this, prior to even dropping $25 (discounted price, plus shipping) and having it come out horrendous. Do you get once chance to install it, or if you make a mistake, can you un-peel it, and reapply?
    Haha! I guess I should've clarified that a little better. The install for the rear skin took me about 3 mins. The only prep work that was needed was to clean the surface of the TP to make sure that there wasn't any dust or fingerprints and such. i would suggest (As did FoI) aligning the HP circle logo and the top ridge of the TP first. It ended up being the easiest way, although you will still have to give it a couple tries.

The screen protector took a little longer at around 5 mins only because aligning everything was a little more tedious. The liquid solution that FoI provides doesn't provide a very nice slick surface for a person to move the screen protector into place correctly. I'd prefer the Zagg liquid. Once the screen protector is in place all you need to do is use the little rubber squeegee they provide to smooth out the screen protector of all water and air bubbles, as well as all the liquid. Once you're done, just like any car tinting, it will take at least a few hours for it to completely settle in because you will see A LOT of mini bubbles and such underneath the screen protector but that's normal. It will go away.

The rear skin can be un-peeled, but I wouldn't suggest doing it a lot. Not the same for the screen protector as constant removal will most like affect the adhesive and you will see imperfections on your screen that you might not be able to get rid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
    Haha! I guess I should've clarified that a little better. The install for the rear skin took me about 3 mins. The only prep work that was needed was to clean the surface of the TP to make sure that there wasn't any dust or fingerprints and such. i would suggest (As did FoI) aligning the HP circle logo and the top ridge of the TP first. It ended up being the easiest way, although you will still have to give it a couple tries.

The screen protector took a little longer at around 5 mins only because aligning everything was a little more tedious. The liquid solution that FoI provides doesn't provide a very nice slick surface for a person to move the screen protector into place correctly. I'd prefer the Zagg liquid. Once the screen protector is in place all you need to do is use the little rubber squeegee they provide to smooth out the screen protector of all water and air bubbles, as well as all the liquid. Once you're done, just like any car tinting, it will take at least a few hours for it to completely settle in because you will see A LOT of mini bubbles and such underneath the screen protector but that's normal. It will go away.

The rear skin can be un-peeled, but I wouldn't suggest doing it a lot. Not the same for the screen protector as constant removal will most like affect the adhesive and you will see imperfections on your screen that you might not be able to get rid of.

Thanks for the reply, and clarification.

I read that FoI mentions the use of a blow dryer..? Do you use the lowest setting on the blow dryer for heating up the corners or was that step unnecessary when you installed?

And you mention the "texture" the skin provides - is it a plastic-y texture, or does it have a more "rough" texture to it? From your pictures, it looks like a smooth carbon fiber finish...

Appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aston Martin View Post
    I think it looks fantastic, I like the HP logo.

I had a quick look and with shipping it's about $65, I wonder if you could put something like this on it?
    Try this:
    HP TouchPad Covers
    HPFIRESALE as a coupon code
    $15 off a usually $35 kit... + s/h of course.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
    Thanks for the reply, and clarification.

I read that FoI mentions the use of a blow dryer..? Do you use the lowest setting on the blow dryer for heating up the corners or was that step unnecessary when you installed?

And you mention the "texture" the skin provides - is it a plastic-y texture, or does it have a more "rough" texture to it? From your pictures, it looks like a smooth carbon fiber finish...

Appreciate it.

I definitely didn't need a blow dryer and when I had spoken to the people at FoI they said that I didn't even need it. It's possible that for other devices that require the skin to be wrapped around corners, a blow dryer would be needed. But since it doesn't for the TP I wouldn't even bother.

As for the texture, it's more of a plastic-like texture. It's pretty nice. I don't know if I would like it more rough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
    So if I were to get this, what case should I get for it?

I mean I don't want to just slam that into a backpack or bag...
    would like an answer to this as well. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    The Phantom Skin version covers the logo. I don't have this but have used the chromatics on my Evo. Quality is very good and you get a screen protector with it.

Phantom Skinz Chromatics for HP TouchPad- Colored Protection Film, Cases, Covers
    Just an update, how's the skin holding up for you? Debating on purchasing the white carbon fiber also. How dirty has it gotten? Think it would be an easy wipe to clean material?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    Try this:
    HP TouchPad Covers
    HPFIRESALE as a coupon code
    $15 off a usually $35 kit... + s/h of course.
    After shipping to UK, still more than I wanna pay.

I bought some white carbon 3M Di-Noc off Ebay for 6.89 ($11) my sister has a thousand different craft knifes. So on Thursday, I should have a success story. Or at the very least a hospital story.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    so the Chromatics skins wrap around the phone? judging by the video on their site it seems like a pita to put on..

anyone know how much the shipping is at the fusion site in the US? dont feel like creating an account to see a ridiculous shipping charge.

OP did you by any chance take a look at the other covers? any idea how the black carbon fiber looks?
    Last edited by rs4ftw; 09/05/2011 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post

anyone know how much the shipping is at the fusion site in the US? dont feel like creating an account to see a ridiculous shipping charge.
    Was $6 last I checked, from Cali to FL.
    I got mine from ebay and it must've been a factory reject. With the HP logo centered in the cutout, the bottom is perfect but the top/left/right edges are cut shorter so it looks uneven. Also to confirm the $20 one I purchased from a certain ebay dealer does not come with the front screen protector as I expected.
    I found installation to be a pain in the ***. Getting the sides and corners lined up took many tries. But it really looks nice now. Use blow dryer or other heat source to smooth out the corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
    I definitely didn't need a blow dryer and when I had spoken to the people at FoI they said that I didn't even need it. It's possible that for other devices that require the skin to be wrapped around corners, a blow dryer would be needed. But since it doesn't for the TP I wouldn't even bother.

As for the texture, it's more of a plastic-like texture. It's pretty nice. I don't know if I would like it more rough...
    I had to use a hair dryer for mine on the corners to keep it completely flat otherwise it would wrinkle a bit on the corners. I don't know if you saw my review on the black carbon fiber one but did your screen protector line up properly?
  20. LuD
    Anybody get any other colors or styles? I want to see more pictures, but haven't been able to find anything. I've already ordered the orange one, and white carbon fiber... Can't wait to get them on!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast