Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE: I've included a small how to for the case mod. Look at post #2 towards the end.
    Feel free to "Like" or "Thank" if you find the review helpful.

The silicone case that I had wasn't bad by any means but the less than ideal fit coupled with my preferred holding style made it only satisfactory at best. Hearing about the folio cases available at Verizon stores, I decided to snag one and see if it's any better than my red silicone case. In short, it is probably the best case that I've tried short of the actual HP Touchpad case.

I went to my local Verizon wireless store and found that they only had the Belkin iPad folio case. Do NOT order this as the bezel is covered by the case, making the swipe up to cards gesture useless. The employees were nice though and checked other local Verizon stores in the area that might have the Technocal folio available and even offered free(!) 2 day shipping to have the case delivered to my door. It arrived via Fedex (my preferred shipping company) within 2 days.

Contrary to what I heard, the package only arrived with a case, no screen protectors or cables included which is fine since the case was on sale at $10 from...
    ***UPDATE: Case is now $4.97+tax+free 2 day shipping.

It's a good deal considering you're only paying 1/4 MSRP. The case is also pretty flexible in terms of viewing angles. There are 4 indents to adjust with.

The box says that the case is leather and I have no reason to believe otherwise. The material is supple on the outside and soft on the inside. I have no fear of it scratching the Touchpad's casing. The stitching is good and it smells like a leather couch. Classy.

One of the reasons I picked this particular case is because it uses clips to hold the tablet in place. They don't seem to be made of metal which is both a good and bad thing. Good in that if the leather wears down, there's less chance of the clips scratching the case but bad in that I couldn't adjust them as much as I had wanted by bending them. The top and bottom ones seems to be the only ones that actually hold the computer in place. The corners ones appear to only stabilize the Touchpad.

This is the gap of the bottom left corner. It seems bad but I have a feeling this may be how it's designed to be. Pushing the Touchpad all the way to the center prevents the folio from closing. Having this much space allowing it to close and also allows it to act as a stand more easily. I wish it clipped slightly though so the case wouldn't flop around when I want to hold it like a book. Small bits of leather in the gaps should solve this since I can't bend the tabs further.

All ports are accessible which is another plus of the clips system:

Speaker side:

Power:

Audio jack:

Continued....
    Last edited by melonbar123; 09/02/2011 at 10:59 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Using the case as a stand is great. The 4 recesses allows for a comfortable angle. Since the IPS screen of the Touchpad already has excellent viewing angles, I was able to quickly find a comfortable typing position.

Speakers do get blocked but I couldn't find any noticeable differences in sound quality.

Folding the case on itself is not perfect though since the Touchpad is slightly thicker than the iPad. Notice the cover bending and the case clasp that juts out:

The biggest flaw for me is how the case stays closed. The clasp actually latches to the Touchpad. Since it is soft leather, it won't damage the tablet but I do worry about it wearing down that side. I wish it had a magnetic mechanism. Making sure it "locks" also requires some pressure.

I can't say how well the case works on a Touchstone but there are plenty of exposed areas around the edge. However, the leather is on the thicker side.

Since the HP folio can be found at $20, why would anyone pay for a 3rd party case like the Technocel? Well, at $10 it's half the price of the case so for the frugal buyer it's a good choice. More importantly, I prefer the clips system the Technocel uses over the thin casing used on the HP folio due to the warping and stretching issues some people have been noticing on the latter. If Touchstone performance is important, the HP folio is guaranteed whereas the Technocel is unknown. In the end, the case feel and looks great and the only flaws are the clasping mechanism and trying to adjust the corner clips. Both can probably be taken case of with some ingenuity. This is the case I will be using from now on until I find a better one in the future.

I've compiled a simple how to to make the case fit better for the Touchpad. It's not difficult at all but do it slowly to reduce the chance of error.

1. The 4 circled clips are the ones that don't make contact with the Touchpad. These are going to be the ones that will be heated and bent. The ones circled yellow will be bent more than the ones circle in red, which are bent slightly.

2. To get an idea of how you might need to bend, slide the Touchpad to the righthand side and examine how far the left clips are from the body of the Touchpad. That's how much they need to bend. It was quite a bit for me.

3. Take the Touchpad out.

4. Heat each clip for 15-20 second intervals, concentrating only on the clips. If you heat the case itself, you risk deforming it.

5. The clips should feel warm. Molding it just means bending the clips in toward the center. Do it slowly and just guessimate how much you need to bend it. Remember to bend the yellow circled clips more and the red ones just a bit.

6. Before and after.

7. Wait for the clips to cool and fit in a Touchpad. Don't worry if it's not perfect.

8. Do the fit test from step 2 to see if you need to bend the clips any more. Ideally, the Touchpad should have minimal horizontal movement within the case.
    Last edited by melonbar123; 09/02/2011 at 10:58 PM.
    root#WN likes this.
    Nice review!
    I hate to complain because nice review and nice pics ... but. There is always a but, I cannot find the case you are reviewing. It is not on the Verizon website and I when to the Verizon store at the local mall and they didn't have any (all they had was cases for the zoom).

So a link to how/where it can be purchased would be appreciated ... AND a confirmation of whether it does or does not work with the Touchstone (this is an important consideration for many people)
    Do you have a Verizon part number? I can't find that folio on VerizonWireless' site, either.

The part number should look like; "xxx-xxxx".
    Last edited by jblather; 08/27/2011 at 01:29 PM.
    I purchased this case from Amazon and tried it for a few days. While it is a nice case, it bugged me that it was just a tad too large. So I found this case: Amazon.com: Acase(TM) HP TouchPad High Quality Premium Slim Leather Case Folio with built-in Stand for HP TouchPad 9.7-inch WebOS Tablet Wi-Fi 16GB, 32GB (Black): Electronics

Almost every bit as nice and identical in form and function, but it fits like a glove over my Touchpad. More expensive of course but I didn't mind. Just thought I would share this as my first post here. :-) Great review, though. Thanks for sharing your experience in depth with everyone.

EDIT
    I also found that my Touchpad did not like to stay in the furthest groove providing the shallow angle, but this Acase case has no issues with that.
    Last edited by fobis; 08/27/2011 at 05:19 PM.
    I have this case going through the mail system right now. Should receive it Monday or Tuesday. Thank you for the review.

I will update if this works w/ the Touchstone or not.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post
    I hate to complain because nice review and nice pics ... but. There is always a but, I cannot find the case you are reviewing. It is not on the Verizon website and I when to the Verizon store at the local mall and they didn't have any (all they had was cases for the zoom).

So a link to how/where it can be purchased would be appreciated ... AND a confirmation of whether it does or does not work with the Touchstone (this is an important consideration for many people)
    You can purchase it at Amazon for $15+shipping
    Amazon.com: Technocel Leather Flip Book Case/folio for Apple Ipad (Black): Electronics
    or ask someone who works at your local Verizon Wireless to order it for you
    SKU: 888-0002.

I wish I could try Touchstone compatibility but I do not have one.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fobis View Post
    I purchased this case from Amazon and tried it for a few days. While it is a nice case, it bugged me that it was just a tad too large. So I found this case: Amazon.com: Acase(TM) HP TouchPad High Quality Premium Slim Leather Case Folio with built-in Stand for HP TouchPad 9.7-inch WebOS Tablet Wi-Fi 16GB, 32GB (Black): Electronics

Almost every bit as nice and identical in form and function, but it fits like a glove over my Touchpad. More expensive of course but I didn't mind. Just thought I would share this as my first post here. :-) Great review, though. Thanks for sharing your experience in depth with everyone.

EDIT
    I also found that my Touchpad did not like to stay in the furthest groove providing the shallow angle, but this Acase case has no issues with that.
    I like that case, looks good. I was wondering, does the corner hooks actually latch on to the Touchpad or is it loose like the Technocel case?
    Quote Originally Posted by melonbar123 View Post
    I like that case, looks good. I was wondering, does the corner hooks actually latch on to the Touchpad or is it loose like the Technocel case?
    The corners do latch on to the Touchpad since it fits well. It is almost annoying that the corner hooks grab onto the Touchpad by the spine of the case because you have to pull the device out to stand in the grooves. But it is fine, I think. It takes very little effort.

EDIT
    One caveat of this case is that the microfiber inlay is not perfectly cut and sticks out in some areas of the case. For me, it was on one of the side clips and a little along the spine of the case.

Just to clarify, I am talking about the Acase case for the HP Touchpad I linked to above.
    Last edited by fobis; 08/27/2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Do you have a Verizon part number? I can't find that folio on VerizonWireless' site, either.

The part number should look like; "xxx-xxxx".
    I brought in a Verizon store , they shipped it to my house within 2 days free

the part number on the delivery receipt is 888-0002

the description cas:ipad lthr folio

cost : $9.97 no shipping charges

just in case the brand of case "technocel"
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    if your comfortable, you can with a hair dryer heat up the closure flap and clips to adjust how the case holds or closes.

I did this on the closure flap so it does not scratch the crap out of the touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    I brought in a Verizon store , they shipped it to my house within 2 days free

the part number on the delivery receipt is 888-0002

the description cas:ipad lthr folio

cost : $9.97 no shipping charges

just in case the brand of case "technocel"
    Oh, I've been looking at that case for a week. Their pictures don't show very much at all. I'm glad you wrote up on this. I was wondering how it looked with the tablet in it.

Because they don't show hardly any pictures of the case, I ordered the other one, 888-0001, instead. It's just a leather case you slip the touchpad in and out of. It works great for less than $4 shipped Two-Day FedEx.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Oh, I've been looking at that case for a week. Their pictures don't show very much at all. I'm glad you wrote up on this. I was wondering how it looked with the tablet in it.

Because they don't show hardly any pictures of the case, I ordered the other one, 888-0001, instead. It's just a leather case you slip the touchpad in and out of. It works great for less than $4 shipped Two-Day FedEx.
    have the 888-0001, great for a naked touchpad and really good for my ipad2

the pictures above are exactly how it looks other then fact I have closed the corner clips a little to lessen the gaps (did not play with the side hold clips they work well)
    Interesting...I was comparing the pictures in this thread with the pictures on the Verizonwireless website and they seem to don't match. The pic on Verizonwireless' site has a gigantic flap:

Folio Case - Molded Back, Black Leather | Verizon Wireless
    Interesting...I was comparing the pictures in this thread with the pictures on the Verizonwireless website and they seem to don't match. The pic on Verizonwireless' site has a gigantic flap:

The pic on the website is of the flap envelope with modem pouch... Which, by the way is 5.00...
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

nope different case the 888-0002 I received and requested is the technocell case pictured above not the one in your link
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    if your comfortable, you can with a hair dryer heat up the closure flap and clips to adjust how the case holds or closes.

I did this on the closure flap so it does not scratch the crap out of the touchpad
    Did the leather get damaged during heating? Did you find that you were able to mold the clips to fit the touchpad perfectly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustmonkey View Post
    The pic on the website is of the flap envelope with modem pouch... Which, by the way is 5.00...
    Bingo ... the light just went on. I went to the V-Wireless store and searched on 888-0002 and it brought up the pouch not the case. Then I read the description. The description is about the case !!! Since people (including OP) have ordered 888-0002 and gotten the case, I believe that Verizon has the wrong pic on the website. Thus the confusion.

Sorry OP, that's why I couldn't find it on the Verizon wireless website so not your fault.

I do wish I knew whether it worked with the touchstone. As the OP pointed out in some ways it is nicer than the HP one, is better than most of the others on Amazon/E-bay and it costs 1/2 the price. So I'm in for one.

One other question for the OP (or others too), in the pics for the review there appears to be a screen protector on the Touchpad so I am wondering about that. Is it really necessary? Which one is one that device and how much did it cost? Does it interfere with viewing angles? Cut/increase glare? Decrease brightness? I am asking because I am not familiar with these things and always though that with Gorilla glass they weren't necessary. Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melonbar123 View Post
    Did the leather get damaged during heating? Did you find that you were able to mold the clips to fit the touchpad perfectly?
    Did not damage the leather, just TAKE YOUR TIME heat the taps up one at a time enough so you see that they pliable then molded them with my fingers quickly again I never touched the side tabs only the cnrs and flap

Came out nice
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast