Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I dont get it...
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Charges your device through induction rather than through a wired usb charger, and also displays exhibition mode.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I have it, I bought it for $40 but I think I'm gonna take it back... I mean it just charges the pad... I have a charger.. lol didnt really think it through..
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    inductive charger (no fiddling with micro-USB) and a tilt-stand for viewing while using the BT keyboard or for a clock, etc. in exhibition.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Yeahhh you really need to use it for a few days to see how much more convenient it is than hunting for the stupid little USB port on the bottom with a cable.

Put on on the Touchstone and fire up Facebook Exhibition mode or the photo slideshow. If you still want to take it back, good for you - you're impervious to cool!
    Once you go back to plugging your phone in, it really is a pain in the ***. The Touchstone is cool to just set it down to charge, plus you can have a custom app open while it's on the charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    That's because you have never used one over a period of time, I've been charging my Pre this way for over 2 years and really prefer it to having to deal with plugging/unplugging a wire into your device to charge it. Hey you eventually have to set your device down, set it on a touchstone and you are done.
    no wires. Apple is feverishly working on this (revealed by leaks in China) and are hoping to put in future designs. Enjoy it now on the Touchpad. Defintely worth it at a discount.
    Honestly, my four phone-edition Touchstones (1 bedroom, 1 office, and 1 each at the parents' houses) are one of the most important things keeping me from jumping ship to WP7. The convenience and "cool factor" is still relevant to me, even after 2+ years.
    I don't think I'll be able to go back to looking for a cable and fiddling it into my phone when I come home at night. When I can't get a Touchstone-compatible phone anymore, I'll be forced to buy an expensive inductive charging mat and compatible shell for whatever phone I'll be forced into buying.

There just is no going back. If you don't see the use now, wait for Apple to implement it and I'll guarantee that you'll love it so much you'll be wondering why nobody else thought of it before
    It's nifty, and ultimately unnecessary.

Makes for a decent stand if you're doing basic bluetooth keyboard use, works as a nice bedside clock stand if you're using exhibition . I have a couple for my pre and it was nice to just toss the old phone down and know it's going to be charged up when I grab it again. It wasn't 30-50$ worth of nice though, I waited till touchstones were running 10$ a pop before I dove in .

The inductive charging is cool, but I didn't bother getting a touchstone for my touchpad. I was waiting on a pricepoint closer to 30$ or under, but when they finally hit my pricepoint they were sold out everywhere.

I'll probably snag one eventually if I catch a good deal on one, but for now, I have no issue plugging the touchpad in every so often. Given the incredible battery life I've seen thus-far, I don't see any real reason to change (and with my HP case, I have the "stand" issue handled).
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I suppose it's worth it for casuals who don't already have a bedroom full of loose wires and chargers...

Phone
    PSP
    DS
    2 headphones
    MP3 player
    PS3 controller
    DVDR vcr (for ongoing project)
    Sony reader (which uses the same cord!)
    PC and all that goes with it
    external HD

All these are constantly being plugged in and switched around, so one less device to be plugged in isn't going to make much of a difference to me, lol. In fact, I'd lose one of my valuable outlet slots keeping the touchtone plugged in all the time... so pretty useless for me.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    If you have two Touchstones, you can set the Touchpad to default to different exhibition modes when sitting on one Touchstone or the other. Example: Touchstone in living room to display photos. Touchstone in bedroom to display clock.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    ^Who would want to waste the overall lifespan of the IPS panel/battey on a photo display/clock...
    I think it matters a lot more for the phone where you charge it everyday (or more often in the case of the Pre's). For the TP that doesn't need daily charge b/c of the awesome battery life, its much less useful, and also way more expensive, even on the discount (for comparison, discount phone Touchstones are going for $5, brand new, free shipping, on verizon wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    ^Who would want to waste the overall lifespan of the IPS panel/battey on a photo display/clock...
    Me.

As for "waste," well, I've been using my phones on Touchstones since 6/09/09, and haven't noticed any appreciable degradation of battery life or display performance as a result.

Then again, I tend to replace my devices about once a year, so YMMV.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    At the rate technology is advancing with new tablets every month, I would have long moved on to something else before the display craps out. Not to mention at $99, I don't really care.
    VCI_Cell, hkirn and Puzzlegal like this.
    I suppose it's worth it for casuals who don't already have a bedroom full of loose wires and chargers...

Phone
    PSP
    DS
    2 headphones
    MP3 player
    PS3 controller
    external HD

All these are constantly being plugged in and switched around, so one less device to be plugged in isn't going to make much of a difference to me, lol. In fact, I'd lose one of my valuable outlet slots keeping the touchtone plugged in all the time... so pretty useless for me.
    I *LOVE* that you call people who like the Touchstone "casuals" and try to prove it with your PSP, DS and PS3 (phone and mp3 player is the same, and can be powered by touchstone - PC isn't powered by micro-USB, lol). Quite the busy professional power-user you are.

Not that I don't see your point. I really do. The contrast between your heavy use of gaming consoles that are "constantly being plugged in and switched around" and your condescending use of "casuals" is just too funny.

Also, no matter how many cables you have lying around, it's just nice to be able to plop your device down without having to look for anything. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
    Enjoy looking through your dozen cables for the right one every time you charge your phone... but hey, it could be worse! Two of those dozen cables are the same thanks to your Sony reader
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts

Phone
    PSP
    DS
    2 headphones
    MP3 player
    PS3 controller
    external HD

In this rare case I recommend daisy chaining power strips. All of those devices are low power and you can finally just have a bundle of cable plugs come up on top of a desk and make life easier.

If you insist on not using a touchstone, then watch out for amperage draws between chargers (you mentioned some devices have the same plug). The TouchPad requires a 2Amp transformer and while other devices have micro usb jacks and plugs, their charging transformers are likely 0.5Amp to 1Amp. Using a 2Amp transformer with devices that require fewer amps wont hurt the little devices, but using a weak transformer with something that's trying to draw more power than is available can result in the device not charging or charging slowly and may ruin the transformer. In very extreme cases the transformer will overheat and fail in a spectacularly smoky or fiery way.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Actually, as stated in my Mugen Battery instructions keeping these type of batteries topped off is better for them and Mugen Batteries recommend this for optimum battery life. My Pre's battery has spent the majority of it's 2 years sitting on a Touchstone charger with no I'll effects to it (battery is still at 88% capacity) and also the screen still works fine. Because of this I use Touchstone charger with my TouchPad with complete confidence.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast