Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I didn't see the point for the touchstone, and certainly not at MSRP! However after getting my Touchpad the other day, the microUSB feels terrible in regards to plugging in - and my point of reference in my iPad2. I was at BestBuy yesterday, and broke down and bought one when I noticed a pile of them sitting there. I'm happy with it...
    dude its just so cool
    How can any one say what's the point of the touchstone. Its a thousand times more convenient than having to plug that thin in
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Can the tablet be used as an alarm clock while it's in the touchstone?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Can the tablet be used as an alarm clock while it's in the touchstone?
    Yes.
    My girlfriend asked me why her stand had a cord hanging off of it.......lol.

(She gets it )
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    for picking it up at like 1/2 off, i'm happy with it.

What I'm really not happy about with it though is the fact that the cable is hardwired into the Touchstone. I have it plugged in behind my desk as it's main spot. But there are times when I want to bring the stand over to my living room table and just use it as a stand, and I'll have to unplug it and drag the whole wire over (which looks like crap). Then go put it back. Really annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    If you still want to take it back, good for you - you're impervious to cool!
    Just had to quote that. Excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
    for picking it up at like 1/2 off, i'm happy with it.

What I'm really not happy about with it though is the fact that the cable is hardwired into the Touchstone. I have it plugged in behind my desk as it's main spot. But there are times when I want to bring the stand over to my living room table and just use it as a stand, and I'll have to unplug it and drag the whole wire over (which looks like crap). Then go put it back. Really annoying.
    Won't be long:

uBeam
    Mine hasn't arrived yet but a week of plugging/unplugging that micro USB convinced me to find a better way.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Can't find any touchstones in my area might break down and get it $50 on craigslist.

Go for it? What say you guys! lol
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am totally new to WebOS. Will the Touchstone work with the Pre 2 or do I have to buy the smaller inductive charger to specifically work the with the Pre 2?
    besides the issue of scale and charging current, I think the biggest deterent to this idea is that the TouchPad OuchStone does not use a magnet to hold the TP down to it like the TouchStone designed for the smartphones does.

not to mention, you can pick up a gen 1 TouchStone for as little as $7 or $8 nowadays.
    Well I do charge my phones with 2amps from time to time without issue. Don't have the TP Touchstone charger, but as long as it lines up properly while resting on the lip, it should charge, no?

The idea of also buying an old TS kinda defeats the minimalist purpose. Multiple chargers for multiple devices. Kind of reinforces my beef that mfg's won't get together, create an inductive standard and design products around it. Only then will inductive charging become a true benefit to consumers, minimizing cord clutter as well as decreasing the manufacturing of cords and chargers thus decreasing the amount of them that end up in the dump.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Well, I applaud Palm for the TouchStone independent of any 3rd party mnfr. Palm was the first to market with a phone that could charge inductively without the need for a slip-cover backplate. Bravo to them.

As far as having multiple chargers for multiple devices, I'm not quite so sure I see the point of your gripe. I mean, if you're walking about using the TP TS for both your TP & Pre, what happens when you ned to let both devices charge overnight? Surely you don't intend on buying multiple TP TS's just so that you don't have 'multiple charger for multiple devices', right?

no to mention, the TP TS will never offer the flexibility of the Pre TS simply because it's not as portable. I've got 3 Pre TS's. One of them's in the car. I could be wrong, but I don't think a TP TS would really work too well sitting on the center console next to my shift knob.
    You should have a charging pad capable of charging multiple devices. You go back a little. You should remember the old conversations. There was talk about building inductive charging into furniture and other things so it was universal. People could travel, toss their phone or tablet on to the nightstand and have it charge overnight. You hop on a plane or train and toss the phone on a spot on the armrest or back of the seat or tray table. Build it into the dash of a car so anyone could just pop their phone on the area of the center dash with no need for proprietary cradles or even adjustables and worry about side charging ports that are covered by a typical cradle and so forth.

Think outside the box and don't call me Shirley.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Okay. I see your point.

But that sort of thing is going to take a lot of time and integration. Just look at how long it has taken for the automotive industry to get to where you can wirelessly access your smartphone music library - and do it by voice activation. And currently only two car makers even have this capability. Yet iPods and mp3's have been around for how long now???

For the type of cross platform, cross industry integration you're refering to, there would have to be a LOT of cross-industrial integration and standardization. Not to mention, if we're not including wireless power in this discussion, then you're essentially making it necessary for every sofa, nightstand, etc. to be plugged into a wall outlet.

I see the potential. And it's huge. Maybe we'll get their someday. But right now (I beleive) we are still the only one with a phone that is designed with inductive charging built-in to the phone itself. Everyone else is too afraid to add that feature because they'll be demonized for adding an extra millimeter of thickness to their phone.

Well, except if almight Apple does it. Then they'll be praised by all the reviewers as all the Apple fans bow and scrape for the addition of a feature they percieve as being 'new'.
    Funny...'cause for every new "flagship" android phone that comes out, there is someone out there who cracks open the case so they can mod it to work with a Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Funny...'cause for every new "flagship" android phone that comes out, there is someone out there who cracks open the case so they can mod it to work with a Touchstone.
    Exactly.

But I guarantee if the iPhone ever gets this reviewers will trumpet and hail it as the best thing since the transition from CDs to .mp3. As if they invented it. And since WebOS devices won't even be in production any longer by that point, the general public will be none the wiser.

You watch. That's excatly what will happen.
    gmlongo likes this.
    btw...after my wife broke her second pixi in two weeks, we broke down and just got her a dumbphone until her next upgrade. i may have a couple touchstone pucks to sell for cheap...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast