Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Right angled usb cord on the nightstand would do it for me, but I already use my phone as a bedside clock. The original touchstone made zero sense as a bedside clock because it was way too horizontal. At least this makes it somewhat useful, but I would never use it for typing on the bt keyboard because that would mean I'm already at home and probably using my laptop. It's definitely not an on the go thing. It's not a car charging cradle. And in regards to the TS in general, it's an extra thing to carry if I'm traveling because it still needs to be plugged in. So I kind of get the allure bedside, picture frame and car charger (for the phone), but I never saw the die hard need for it others here have.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    i guess most of u disagree but...i CAN'T live without my touchstone.

pure misery having to plug stuff in. its freaking 2011 ....why do we still use wires gahhhh lol maybe an overexaggeration but u get my meaning i just can't go back to having to plug stuff in again.
    Syndil likes this.
    the problem? It's not a standard. Make it a standard. Make it widely adopted by the mfg's and then we're getting somewhere. Until then, the least amount of proprietary crap (generally speaking...the TS isn't crap) the better. I want to see it built into my nightstand with an angled prop for desktop clock functionality for whatever product I'm charging. So while it's nice, it's not great.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    You don't get it because you don't got one, lol...
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I have mine siting here waiting for my touchpad. Hurrrrrrrry HP! Cant wait

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
    aeharding likes this.
    Whatever happened to the touchstone location thing?
    Sprint Love
    Best 24.00 ive spent this week.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    i just cant justify another charger.... lol not for $80 not for $40... back it gos...
    Quote Originally Posted by No1up View Post
    i just cant justify another charger.... lol not for $80 not for $40... back it gos...
    Wait! ... I'll take it off your hands for $45 if your willing to send it to AUS. Will pay all shipping etc.

And if you can get me some cases from best buy it would be even better.
    Last edited by toopy; 08/26/2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    no wires. Apple is feverishly working on this (revealed by leaks in China) and are hoping to put in future designs. Enjoy it now on the Touchpad. Defintely worth it at a discount.
    And then everyone's going to credit Apple for this

Also, does leaving it on the Touchstone damage it? Like how continually charging is bad?
    no harm in leaving it on the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Plus, if you put a piece of bread on it you can make toast!
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I *LOVE* that you call people who like the Touchstone "casuals" and try to prove it with your PSP, DS and PS3 (phone and mp3 player is the same, and can be powered by touchstone - PC isn't powered by micro-USB, lol). Quite the busy professional power-user you are.

Not that I don't see your point. I really do. The contrast between your heavy use of gaming consoles that are "constantly being plugged in and switched around" and your condescending use of "casuals" is just too funny.

Also, no matter how many cables you have lying around, it's just nice to be able to plop your device down without having to look for anything. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
    Enjoy looking through your dozen cables for the right one every time you charge your phone... but hey, it could be worse! Two of those dozen cables are the same thanks to your Sony reader
    Well I *LOVE* that the condescension didn't start until your post. Anyways, my list was merely to demonstrate that I have a lot of cords lying about and a lot of plugging in and out happening--not prove my level of... I don't know what. You can't deny that the touchstone is at least aimed at the "casual" crowd. I don't know how you define such, but I refer to the lazy consumer who can hardly be bothered to figure out all the ins and outs of their device--i.e. pretty much everyone; the people I live with; almost everyone I've ever met.

Oh, and if you were curious. The PS3 is downstairs and rarely used (not sure why that's good/bad). PS3 controller is for emulation and racing on PC. PSP and DS have been as much for emulation and multimedia as for games. I am, for the most part, of the PC gaming master race. The "constantly being plugged in and switched around" comment was not to impress you nor make you chuckle, just describe my habits.
    Divine_Madcat likes this.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    In this rare case I recommend daisy chaining power strips. All of those devices are low power and you can finally just have a bundle of cable plugs come up on top of a desk and make life easier.

If you insist on not using a touchstone, then watch out for amperage draws between chargers (you mentioned some devices have the same plug). The TouchPad requires a 2Amp transformer and while other devices have micro usb jacks and plugs, their charging transformers are likely 0.5Amp to 1Amp. Using a 2Amp transformer with devices that require fewer amps wont hurt the little devices, but using a weak transformer with something that's trying to draw more power than is available can result in the device not charging or charging slowly and may ruin the transformer. In very extreme cases the transformer will overheat and fail in a spectacularly smoky or fiery way.
    Thank you for the advice. It is just the cord, not the charger that is the same, and I only use it to transfer files.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    You can't deny that the touchstone is at least aimed at the "casual" crowd.
    Sorry kiddo, it's not aimed at the casual crowd. I do technical stuff all day at work, and when I get home. It's nice to have one less plug to fish for and just be able to quickly put it on/take off a charger while on the go. Same for having a touchstone in my car for my Pre.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Sorry kiddo, it's not aimed at the casual crowd. I do technical stuff all day at work, and when I get home. It's nice to have one less plug to fish for and just be able to quickly put it on/take off a charger while on the go. Same for having a touchstone in my car for my Pre.
    Sorry buddy, it is. I do technical stuff for people who do technical stuffs and I don't really want/need it.

See what I did there? Anyways, look:
    "The HP Touchstone Charging Dock recharges your TouchPad on contact. You can use multiple Touchstone docks to do different things while charging. View photos in the living room, act as a clock in the bedroom, and see your day's agenda. All without losing your notifications."

It's not like HP's target base effects your appreciation of the device in any way.
    a few reasons the touchstone is great. By the way I have 4 for my pre and 3 more waiting for a good spot. Also just bought 3 for the Touchpad. And of course can't let the gf go without one for hers

no cords I mean why would you use a cord when you don't have to? Sure it cost a little extra,but think of it as an extra charger(most or all your other chargers won't work well anyway since they won't be 2 amps

a touchstone increases battery life since you are more inclined to charge your device since you dont have to go looking for a cord, don't have to unplug your device when using it more than a foot away. Sure your touchpad has great battery life now but wait until you run the battery down everyday using it and only charge it at night. You will cut you battery capacity by more than 30% in a year guaranteed. This probably the best benefit. My pre rarely goes under 80% unless I am out all day, just because using the touchstone is so easy,

my cords always fall behind/under desks/tables and looking for them is a major hassle. Touchstone give you device a permanent fixture that won't fall/get lost, require searching for..etc. You know when you want to charge it will be right there for you.

obviously it is a great stand, allows exhibition mode, which leads to using it as a clock, agenda in your office or by your bed,weather...etc
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Once you go TouchStone you never go back is what I say. I have 10 of the phone version scattered around office, house, cars for our two phones. In anticipation of TS joy, I actually ordered the TouchPad TouchStone before I ordered the TouchPad! after ordering the TP I ordered a second one!

I don't regret those purchases, however I also don't find the TouchStone quite as necessary due to the great battery life. it's still more convenient than the plug (especially since the plug receptacle is really hard to plug the cord into) but if I was on a tight budget I could live without a TouchStone on my TouchPad just fine. However I don't see that I will ever use another cell phone without inductive charging - when my Pre 2 gives out, if there is no good options out there I will go back to my Pixi+ or Pre+ rather than give up my TouchStones!

how's that for playing both sides of the fence? Clarice
    I went TS with three of them and they quickly turned into hockey pucks. I gladly went back to the cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    Once you go TouchStone you never go back is what I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by No1up View Post
    I dont get it...
    This is a ploy, right? Trick question? Bait? Seriously??

Are you kidding me? Do you really not see the added benefit (convenience) of charging inductively vs plug-in charging?

Let me set it up for you like this. Lets say that everybody is driving plug-in hybrids. And then Lexus designs a car that can charge itself automatically just by pulling into the garage of your home. No fussing around with a wall plug or the possibility of forgetting to unplug before pulling off the next morning. Just pull in and forget about it.

I don't think it would take much imagination to recognize the benefit of such a charging system. I can't imagine anyone getting that car, then saying a week later, "I don't get it".

(& btw, suppliers are in fact working on this very technology and have built working prototypes that automatically stop charging once a full charge has been reached).
    steffej3 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast