Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Ok has anyone found a good protector yet. I need one for my pre2 and my touchpad. any suggestions????
    IMO all screen protectors are pretty much the same, so I see no reason to pay $25 or more for one. I'll be buying one from Handhelditems.com for $6. YMMV

HHI HP TouchPad Anti-Fingerprint, Anti-Glare, Matte Finishing Screen Protector
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Zagg all the way. Its stretchy, strong, and has a life time guarantee
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Better yet, has anyone seen a screen that was damaged that could have been protected by one of these? I've got a 2yr old Pre with a plastic screen - hardly a scratch. I've had two iPads, not a scratch. I've only had my Touchpad for a couple of days, but I just don't see how you could damage it.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    True, but for $6, I figure why not. I bet they are all made from the same stuff anyway. $25 for a piece of plastic film... I think that's absolutely nuts. I have a HandHeldItems screen protector on my Pixi that's been there since I bought it and it still looks as good as new.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    That all depends. Do you want one that is cheap that will scratch or peel off? You get what you pay for. I have tried a tun on my phones. XO Skins seems to be the best. They are the military grade ones, but they do not feel rubbery and they will hide your finger prints. I tried another military grade one cant remember their name but it was crazy rubbery. My finger would get tired from scrolling because of it and it made fingerprints look worse than a blank screen. XO Skins has a lifetime warranty and they have been awesome about it honoring it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezy View Post
    That all depends. Do you want one that is cheap that will scratch or peel off? You get what you pay for.
    Paid $6 for a 3-pack of Pixi screen protectors. Buggered one up attempting to install it. Second one went on perfectly. Has been there ever since. Has not peeled off, has not scratched. And if it does, I have one more spare.

You go right ahead and pay 3-4 times as much for a single protector if it makes you feel better. That's one hell of an expensive clear plastic sticker.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demiroquai View Post
    Zagg all the way. Its stretchy, strong, and has a life time guarantee
    It also sticks to everything, is highly reflective, yellows, and has a terrible orange peel effect.

I had an AT&T Fuze that almost had the screen (well, the glass over the "screen") torn off because the InvisibleShield stuck to the inside of my motorcycle's tank bag and basically adhered like glue. The lovely thing was that I couldn't use the lifetime warranty as they require you to send the shield back and mine was destroyed so I couldn't. I would NEVER buy another Zagg product.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezy View Post
    That all depends. Do you want one that is cheap that will scratch or peel off? You get what you pay for. I have tried a tun on my phones. XO Skins seems to be the best. They are the military grade ones, but they do not feel rubbery and they will hide your finger prints. I tried another military grade one cant remember their name but it was crazy rubbery. My finger would get tired from scrolling because of it and it made fingerprints look worse than a blank screen. XO Skins has a lifetime warranty and they have been awesome about it honoring it.
    Zagg, Armor Skins, XO Skins, Body Guardz, Phantom Skins, Stealth Armor and Skinomi all claim to be military/industrial/racecar grade products. It's called marketing.

All I will say is, step into the hangar of any Navy base, including the one where I work, and you'll see no sign of this material on any aircraft. They're full of it. They don't produce any specs and they don't say to what specs their materials are tested (which would be MIL-STD-810D, E or F depending on how long the product has been on the market over the last few years).
    Z Overlord and toopy like this.
    What's the best one on amazon that gives a good anti-glare effect with some "fingerprint" resistance?
    Just a heads up. I purchased the wrapsol screen protector for my touchpad and there are a lot of problems. I applied with precision and gotten out all the air bubbles. What I noticed was a severe decrease in sensitivity. I had to press 2-4 times to launch apps and links. Then all of the top half wouldn't respond. Took off the screen protector and all went back to normal. I doubt the touchpad even needs a screen protector. Not sure if it was just wrapsol but just thought I'd share my experience
  12. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amlodipine View Post
    What's the best one on amazon that gives a good anti-glare effect with some "fingerprint" resistance?
    I picked up an anti-glare one from Amazon by the name of Acase. It came three in a pack, I installed it in a steamy bathroom and it was installed with little effort. Had to use the card afterwards to remove small air bubbles, and the next day, used the card again to remove any imperfections along the edges and camera hole. Haven't had any problems with it at all.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Is it really necessary? I'm debating getting one. Had a zagg on my Pre- and ended up taking it off (orange peel effect). I'm wondering if it'll take away from the experience on my TP.
    If anybody that got one after a few days could lmk what they think it'd be appreciated. Thanks.
    Yeah I am debating whether or not to get a screen protector, mostly for the finger print issue. Mine is still in the mail mine you.
    Probably don't need one, and if you've never dealt with putting one on before, it can be an enormous pain in the rear getting one on without air bubbles, trapped bits of dust, etc., especially on a screen the size of a tablet. That said, I'm still going to buy a cheap 3-pack from HandHeldItems.com and see if I can get at least one to go on properly. If not, no big deal. But no way I'd spend $20 or more on a single protector and possibly screw it up trying to install it.

All these screen protector companies are brilliant at marketing, but they all do the exact same thing: Buy a roll of material from China (many buying the same material from the same factory), die-cut it to fit, and resell it at margins that would make inkjet cartridge resellers turn green with envy.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I too am looking at getting a screen protector one for myself and one for a family member that got a TP. I actually considered the BodyGuardz Armor Carbon Fiber which is part screen protector and part protective backing but I'm not sure if they will fit in the official HP cases we got. Also they were a bit expensive on top of the HP cases so it looks like HandheldItems.com might be a decent option.

Not sure what else is out there besides the Acase someone mentioned here? I'm leaning towards the Acase atm just because its avail now vs preorder from HandheldItems. To the person that has one how is it with reducing fingerprints and does it effect operating the TP at all? I'm also somewhat worried about the edges peeling up over time with the stock HP case on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Acase atm just because its avail now vs preorder from HandheldItems.
    Look on Amazon for protectors made by Spare Parts or Generiks. I'm probably going to give the Spare Parts brand a try because they are selling a 4-pack for $11, and I have 4 Touchpads coming. They also sell 2, 3 and 6-packs. Generiks sells pretty much the same thing, but for $1 more they also advertise a Lifetime Guarantee, if that means anything to you (doesn't to me).
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I bought one for an Ipad (2$), I had to cut the corners but it fits perfectly now.

EDIT: Turned out it scratched easily...
    Last edited by Bagbug; 08/30/2011 at 05:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    You can get a Skinomi screen protector for $14.96 with free shipping using coupon code skinomi25. I ordered on this morning. I have a Skinomi on my Pre and my wife has one on her IPhone. Really helps hide the fingerprints. Changes the feel of the touchscreen, but I am used to it now and have no complaints. Was pretty easy to install on a phone. I suspect the main trick for installing on a tablet is to make sure the screen is clean.
    I guess I won't get one, watching the videos it looks like the biggest pain in the *** in the world.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast