Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I had a somewhat different experience getting a price match on two folio cases and a touchstone. I bought them and the two stores where I bought the products told me that they would not price match Walmart.com's prices. I decided today to take another run at it and printed off the OD and BB ads to show that the prices were lower. This time, however, I was told that this same store ONLY matched the Walmart.com's prices. What? So, I pulled up the Walmart.com's prices for the products on my smartphone and showed the manager what the prices were, and she matched them! How odd!

Given that the prices were being matched that way, I went back to the electronics section, found the last touchstone and spare wall charger, took them back to the CS desk and bought them at the lower prices. AWESOME!

Greg
    The WalMart manager was looking for any loophole to refuse a price mach on the Touchstone charger.

First they wanted a printed ad. I reminded them that their price match policy didn't require an ad, only that a competitor was selling the product in-store (not online).

The manager completely refused a match to WalMart.com or any other WalMart store. The manager also refused an Office Depot match - it was online only. The manager was forced to very very grudgingly accept the Best Buy web page as a match.

Then, at the last minute, the manager tried to weasel out by stating that the Best Buy page said "free shipping", suggesting it was an online deal only. I pointed out that the ad also said "In Store Only". Still, the manager was reluctant.

I then nicely pointed that WalMart's new ad campaign clearly states that they will match all of their competitors in-store prices, clearly this is Best Buy's in store price.

With that, I got my Touchstones. Oddly, Worst Buy was actually good for something. I'll never spend another penny at Best Buy, but they are good for a price match.
    Its like the managers are losing money from their own pockets for Pete's sake! I admire their determination, and strident stance on the bottom line, but sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    The WalMart manager was looking for any loophole to refuse a price mach on the Touchstone charger.

First they wanted a printed ad. I reminded them that their price match policy didn't require an ad, only that a competitor was selling the product in-store (not online).

The manager completely refused a match to WalMart.com or any other WalMart store. The manager also refused an Office Depot match - it was online only. The manager was forced to very very grudgingly accept the Best Buy web page as a match.

Then, at the last minute, the manager tried to weasel out by stating that the Best Buy page said "free shipping", suggesting it was an online deal only. I pointed out that the ad also said "In Store Only". Still, the manager was reluctant.

I then nicely pointed that WalMart's new ad campaign clearly states that they will match all of their competitors in-store prices, clearly this is Best Buy's in store price.

With that, I got my Touchstones. Oddly, Worst Buy was actually good for something. I'll never spend another penny at Best Buy, but they are good for a price match.
    I might have to try this, didn't feel like fighting with them over the weekend.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I might have to try this, didn't feel like fighting with them over the weekend.
    Once the manager showed up, the discussion took less than 5 minutes. Though it did take about 10 minutes for a manager to show up.

Be pleasant but persistent. I didn't have to threaten to escalate, I just pointed out their own policies. The manager also didn't like the fact that I wanted to purchase more than one (for a friend, not resale). Their price match policy doesn't limit one per customer, so I got my units. Though had I been refused, I would have asked to speak with the head store manager. Refused that, I would probably have taken names and phoned corporate.

It probably won't get that far. Just bring in a printout of Best Buy's web page showing their "In store only" price. Remind them of their policy. The WalMart management will have little choice but to give you a price match.

The thing I found interesting is the complete disconnect between WalMart's new advertising campaign - "Match It" - with the overwhelming ire their store managers have towards anyone who dares ask for a significant price match.

I think it just proves that WalMart's size makes them a clumsy "supertanker" of a company. The CEO can send an order, but good luck getting the individual stores to quickly steer in that direction. In truth, all huge, established organizations have these problems, public or private. I think a smaller, more nimble player could probably run rings around them. In a few years time, we may look at WalMart they way we look at Sears today. A big, slowly reacting badmouth that's badly trailing behind the times.
    Last edited by Toasters; 08/29/2011 at 11:52 PM.
  6. J A
    Screw Walmart! I don't know how you guys got them to price match walmart.com on the touchstone. I tried and they said it is store policy not to price match walmart.com or any other walmart store. ***? Then the guy in the electronics dept tells me they will price match a local competitor. So I pull out my phone and bring up office depot and he refuses to even look at it.
    So I ask for a manager. The manager comes...eventually and tells me that I will have to come back tomorrow because it is Sunday night and they can't do the price match until the next day. I come back the next day with a printout of the office depot price and it says "in store only" so they can't claim it's an online deal.
    This time I avoid the goons in the electronic dept and go straight to customer service desk. Again I am met with hostility and a rude manager who claims that nowhere on my printout does it say the location of the office depot. I point out that it is less than a mile down the road an therefore it is indeed a "local competitor".
    I know that particular office depot is out of stock because I already checked..but this manager does not and I didn't tell her. Not that it should matter because they are still advertising the 39.99 price. At this point almost a half hour has gone by..I decided just to say screw it and come back when another manager is on duty. So I come back 2 days later..and the 4 that were on the shelf were gone! I guess some customers got their price matched or bought them at full price(which I doubt).
    After all of this I have decided I don't really need a touchstone..not worth the hassle. Thanks Walmart!
    I have two local Walmarts in my town and both have stock on the case and one of them still has a Touchstone. Both managers refuse to price match the .com sale and no one else in the city has stock left. The one closest to me has four cases and these appear to be the exact same cases they had two weeks ago.

It really is frustrating to have two brand new tablets and be unable to cloth (case) and feed them (charger) at a decent price. ;-)
    the case price at palm.com is excellent
    ...and out of stock.
    if you use http://www.officedepot.com they will price match because it states "in store only"

I was at the Smithfield NC store and I got a case for 19.99 and touchstone for 39.99
    Last edited by robotech1985; 09/02/2011 at 12:23 PM.
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    if you use officemax.com they will price match because it states "in store only"

I was at the Smithfield NC store and I got a case for 19.99 and touchstone for 39.99
    ...but doesn't it need to be in stock at the local store?

ETA: I don't even see the items listed at officemax.com any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    ...but doesn't it need to be in stock at the local store?

ETA: I don't even see the items listed at officemax.com any longer.
    tablets - Search at Office Depot

office Depot sorry and they didnt care as long as it said in store
    Thomas Edison
    Thanks for the correction.

Hmm, the nearest OD is 20 miles away from me. I wonder if the local Walmart will honor an OD price that is theoretically in another town.
    Thanks for the correction.

Hmm, the nearest OD is 20 miles away from me. I wonder if the local Walmart will honor an OD price that is theoretically in another town.
    you have nothing to loose other than trying it you never know, I gave them my smart phone with the web site displayed and with it saying in store.
    Thomas Edison
    you have nothing to loose other than trying it you never know, I gave them my smart phone with the web site displayed and with it saying in store.
    Oh yes, I know. The lady that was running the register at the local Walmart already told me the manager is an a*shole when I was trying to get them to price match previously.
    Oh yes, I know. The lady that was running the register at the local Walmart already told me the manager is an a*shole when I was trying to get them to price match previously.
    yep mine said the same thing... but she said the people before didnt offer anything that said in-store
    Thomas Edison
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    if you use Office Supplies: Office Products & Office Furniture at Office Depot they will price match because it states "in store only"

Thanks for the idea.
    I just got the price match.
    "in store only" are the magic words.
    Quote Originally Posted by meir602 View Post
    Thanks for the idea.
    I just got the price match.
    "in store only" are the magic words.
    glad it worked for you
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Does anyone have a printout of the walmart website with the Touchstone at $35? They've taken it down. Please PM if you do, my local store has 4 in stock. They can't list the price at $35 and simultaneously say it's instore only and then charge full price, that's fraud.
    Last edited by DCPeterson2000; 09/03/2011 at 04:37 PM.
    I went to Wal-Mart last night looking for a touchstone. They would not pricematch from their own website. So today I went to Office Max and scored a touchstone for $39.99!

I found that the Touchpad will charge inside the case. Very nice.
    Last edited by jblather; 09/03/2011 at 09:45 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123