webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Is there a car charger that will work with the Touchpad?
Is there a car charger that will work with the Touchpad?
Like Tree70Likes

Old 08/23/2011, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Please read the thread before posting! No charger has been found to deliver the full 2 amps needed, the only solution is to modify one by removing resistors and adding new ones. Modified ones are available from the member Wheel_nut.

We are going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and I'm sure the wife and kids would love to be able to play on the Touchpad. Does anybody know what charger will work for sure with the Touchpad? Should I just get an AC inverter and use the wall charger?

Last edited by Bockscar; 11/24/2011 at 06:55 AM.
Bockscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would suggest the inverter. The PRE chargers will physically plug in to the TP, but if they're anything like the AC PRE chargers, it won't deliver enough power for the TP... I'll have to give it a shot some time.
cthetford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

This one might work if you plugged the TP into the 2.1A port:

SCOSCHE USBC3 Dual USB Car Charger for iPad 2

As with a lot of other things for the TP, you'll want to look for accessories that work with the iPad. Check user reviews on anything that makes that claim to be sure.
a5ehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sorli
Old 08/24/2011, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

I bought the Seagate Satellite GoFlex portable HDD which comes with a USB car charger. Looking at the specs, it matches the specs on the TP wall charger, so I'm assuming it would work just fine. I imagine though you don't want to pay the $199.99 for the drive if all you need is the car charger, but maybe you can buy it separately.
Bacstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post
This one might work if you plugged the TP into the 2.1A port:

SCOSCHE USBC3 Dual USB Car Charger for iPad 2

As with a lot of other things for the TP, you'll want to look for accessories that work with the iPad. Check user reviews on anything that makes that claim to be sure.
In this case, Ipad accessories may not be a good idea.

A number of reviewers on Amazon have reported that many of the high amperage chargers, including the Scosche charger - only deliver high amperage to Apple devices.

When plugged into Android tablets and other non-Apple devices requiring 1.5 to 2 amps, many chargers like that one deliver far less power.
Toasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 03:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

As implied above, you need a charger which will deliver 2 Amps @ 5 Volts to a USB socket
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 03:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
R_E

I'm not sure, but you can probably just use a regular pre charger. It will just charge slower. When idle, the touchpad uses about the same ma as my pre according to govnah. I don't see how it could do any damage. The worst that could happen is that the touchpad would use a greater amperage than the charger puts out which would result in the battery depleting slower.
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E View Post
I'm not sure, but you can probably just use a regular pre charger. It will just charge slower. When idle, the touchpad uses about the same ma as my pre according to govnah. I don't see how it could do any damage. The worst that could happen is that the touchpad would use a greater amperage than the charger puts out which would result in the battery depleting slower.
The Pre charger should work adequately for keeping the Touchpad topped off while watching videos on the road, but would probably be a poor solution for recharging a mostly discharged unit.

Not being a 2amp 5v charger, it would would take a L O N G time to charge a Touchpad from empty to full - perhaps 6 hours or more.
Toasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's a MICRO USB car charger, made for Motorola and sold under the Motorola name, in retail packaging. The rated output is 4.75-5.25V and 950mA.

It will obviously take a little more time than a 2amp charger, but hard to beat for $4.28 and Prime eligible.

horn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have a pre charger that I dug out last night and plugged in but wasn't in the car long enough to see if the charge level came up. I'm sure that there are a lot of chargers that will charge it slowly, what I'm looking for is one that will keep up with the demand of the Touchpad in use. I'm sure once the Touchpads start getting in peoples hands we will start seeing reports of what works.
Old 08/25/2011, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post
I bought the Seagate Satellite GoFlex portable HDD which comes with a USB car charger. Looking at the specs, it matches the specs on the TP wall charger, so I'm assuming it would work just fine. I imagine though you don't want to pay the $199.99 for the drive if all you need is the car charger, but maybe you can buy it separately.
Do you have a Touchpad coming your way? very interested to see if this one works, I'm staying away from anything to do with fruit products.
Old 08/25/2011, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

You can just get one of these cables:
RF-CA1MR | eBay

which will work with the iPad chargers.

So you can get the Scosche charger off Amazon + this cable for $18.17. Not exactly cheap, but it will get the job done.
wydileie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 10:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

I bought a generic USB adapter for a Galaxy Tab in hopes to get it working with Touchstone back then (it didn't work, btw), that one does 2.1A. I'll give it a try when my TouchPad comes.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasters View Post

A number of reviewers on Amazon have reported that many of the high amperage chargers, including the Scosche charger - only deliver high amperage to Apple devices.

When plugged into Android tablets and other non-Apple devices requiring 1.5 to 2 amps, many chargers like that one deliver far less power.
I have this charger. Doesnt work.
gtkansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by stlcardinal9 likes this.
Old 08/25/2011, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Like others have said, I've used my Pre car charger to trickle charge my TP, if I were to take a road trip though, I'd likely pick up an inexpensive inverter ($25-40) and just plug in the charger that came with the TP
Old 08/25/2011, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ideally you want a car charger that is rated for 10 watts or 2.1 Amps. Charging with under powered chargers will lengthen charging times.

I found, at WalMart a Griffin PowerJolt Universal p/n GC23132. It is a 2.1 amp car charger. It is not listed on GriffinTechnologies web site. Googleing for it didn't return anything useful.

Here is the same item packaged with a wall wart.

WalMart also had those in the store. Could not find either on the WalMart web site.

Car charger was 15.88
Duo was 24.98

There is a car charger that comes with an IPad usb cable for 29.95.

Happy hunting.
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 08:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasters View Post

Yeah I forgot about the special charging circuit in the Apple connectors. My bad!
a5ehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 11:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

new to room and appreciate all the help and knowledge. Proud papa of 2 32 Gb and 1 16 GB and just having fun with them. But to the point, I have something similar to this in my car so I just use the Ac adapter that comes with whatever I want to use, phone, tablet, bluetooth earpiece, dvd etc. Hope it works for you.

Wagan Smart AC Inverter 2221-6 12 Volt DC - 120 Volt AC Inverter: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at Nextag
vtxretrohog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 02:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

I bought this inverter from Canadian Tire. It has one plug and a USB input and built in FM transmitter. Ultra-slim Power Inverter with FM transmitter, 100W | Canadian Tire

I work out of a truck and switch trucks all the time, some have direct inputs in and some don't, which is the reason I need that transmitter. It works well for me and only ties up one power point, and able to charge both phone(although running freeTether doesn't charge, just slows down the drain when plugged into the USB) and TouchPad.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: everythingsablur

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0