Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    Post deleted by Wheel-nut.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 10/20/2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Deleted by Wheel-nut. Agree with Wilywyrm findings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    last night I just used my phone car charger to charge it, it took a few hours but it charged. Also you must have the screen off and not be using it, for emergencies its nice to know it still charges withthe old chargers just in case you forgot the touchpad charger like I did last night.
    Yes, I think any micro USB charger will SLOWLY charge the TP, BUT ONLY IF YOU TURN OFF THE TP. I just did an ad hoc test using Dr. Battery, which shows real time power consumption.

After using the computer/USB connection to load some files on the TP I turned on Dr. Battery after the "eject" from Windows so the TP was operating normally but still attached to the computer. Dr. Battery shows just -6mA with the USB cord plugged into the computer, so a very slight drain on the battery. Once I disconnected from the computer's USB port, the drain shot up to -250mA immediately. So for a resting touchpad just sitting there but on, the USB connection from a computer doesn't quite cover the power needs, but it is close. That suggests that if you turn the TP off, you actually will start getting a positive charge going into the battery. Just by comparison, the same TP sitting on the Touchstone and not running anything else was read by Dr. Battery at +260mA.

So with the power off, that suggests a standard USB charger will charge the TP in roughly twice as much time as a TP that is on and sitting on the Touchstone will take.

So the standard USB charger in your car is never going to be a great, convenient solution for the TP, but if you get stuck somewhere and that's all you have and you really need a charge, turn off the TP and then plug it in. Then be patient. Eventually it should charge up the TP, but it will take hours and hours.
    Teamw23,

With the mod I have completed on my car PSU I can get a full charge in the car in just over 10% the time it would take on the TS dock or directly connected to the OEM barrel.

Streaming video over Wifi in my car I was getting over 1000mA positive inflow, just a few hundred mA under the Household charger.

But you are correct, a standard USB phone charger will charge the TP, but at a much slower rate depending on the charger and other usage condition.

IN the past few days I have been trying my new setup and have not had any failure. All seems OK.
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

I can confirm that bridging the D+ and D- terminals and adding 240K Resistor to +5V and 300k Resistor to Gnd charges the TouchPad at full pelt.

I have modified four separate units and confirm that all work perfectly.
    Mutoidi and rick90680 like this.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    So, is there a verified car charger that will charge a TouchPad without modification?
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    So, is there a verified car charger that will charge a TouchPad without modification?
    No. Though many will trickle charge the TouchPad if switched off or in suspend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    We are going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and I'm sure the wife and kids would love to be able to play on the Touchpad. Does anybody know what charger will work for sure with the Touchpad? Should I just get an AC inverter and use the wall charger?
    I have tried a dozen or so cigarette/car/dc chargers and none of them worked with the HP TouchPad. I had some already I purchased a few as well. No Luck. So I gave up and went the way of an inverter instead. Looked around for the smallest I could find and found 2 on Amazon.com.: Cobra CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter and Targus 100 Watt Slim Line Mobile Inverter Both are a little noisy with the fans, but I drive the freeways and it’s not noticeable. Both have fuse protection and USB/US AC plugs. Both work with the HP TouchPad’s AC/USB plug attached. It’s the second best thing to a standalone charger. Both run about 25.00USD with shipping, unless you are an Amazon Prime member… All of the adapters I used to try to charge the HP TouchPad would end up with the same warning on the screen from HP that this is not the right current, etc…. All of them. Some of them did charge but at a lower rate than 2.1a, so it took longer and there was not positive indicator (lightning bolt – and charging banner that you get when you charge with HP AC plug) The The Joy Factory PowerBullet X Low Profile 10W Rapid USB Car Charger and the Kensington K33497US PowerBolt Duo Car Charger, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S Compatible both worked but at much slower rate.
    Okay, so the surprise: the Cobra CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter can and will charge the HP TouchPad using it’s USB port! Yes, you still have to have the inverter, BUT you don’t need to drag along the HP TouchPad’s AC/USB plug and you will have the inverter plug open for other items, Laptops, DVD player etc. I have used both the USB and the US AC for the HP TouchPad, the Kindle, the KindleDX, the Visio tablet, the A7 Elocity and the Cruz E reader and all of them work as well as HP Veer, DroidX phones.
    Don’t get me wrong, I am still looking for that elusive low profile, small footprint car charger that will charge the HP TouchPad at the right current and the right wattage etc, but at least I have ONE that works!

Edit: I guess I shouldn't say it just works.... it works with the USB connected and you DO NOT get the HP warning and you do get the 'charging indicator lightning bolt' and the banner that that tells you that the unit is charging... Unlike ANY other I've tried. Went to Cobra.com and got these specs... (I read in one of the post about sine wave) This is called in the specs a 'perfect modified sine wave'

1. Continuous output power 150w
    2. Surge rating (0.1second) 300w
    3. Peak efficiency (12V—1/2 load) 90%
    4. Efficiency (full load, 12V) >78%
    5. No load current draw < 0.1 A (12.6V)
    6. Output waveform (resistive load) Perfect modified
    sine wave
    7. Output frequency 60Hz 2Hz
    8. Output voltage 115V +/- 10%
    9. USB output 5V
    10. Input voltage 12.8 - 13.2 VDC
    12. Shutdown voltage (unload) 10.0V 0.3V
    13. Operating temperature range -10 C + 40 C
    14. Storage temperature range -40 C to 85 C
    15. Protection Overload, short-circuit, Overtemp
    16. Reverse polarity, under/over voltage

I can't speak to all the electronical stuff, but it just works, right out of the box.
    Last edited by rick90680; 10/24/2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more info
    I've had no trouble powering/charging my touchpad using the Palm Pre car charger & cable normally plugged into my touchstone, which I believe is a standard 1-amp usb charger (ie, D+ and D- are connected, no other resistors to indicate a higher current). The TouchPad of course complains about it, but nothing adverse happens. I appear to just break even with the display on, and get a slow but acceptable charge with the display off. It's more than good enough for the limited times I want to charge in the car.
    wouldn't something like this work?

Belkin : Micro USB Car Charger
    Quote Originally Posted by sandro_f View Post
    wouldn't something like this work?

Belkin : Micro USB Car Charger
    This one, like so many others, have a GREAT foot print - small - but it only puts out 1a of power, so it might slow charge, it would take more than the normal exprected time to charge. There are several others as well that put out 2.1a, but even they won't work with the HP TouchPad.
    Clearly not!

Maybe Wheel_nut/RICKV ought to 'produce' a few 'spare' ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post

Maybe Wheel_nut/RICKV ought to 'produce' a few 'spare' ones?

Whereas it would be very easy for me to produce these for under $10 a pop, the postage cost from the UK would be $14 for Tracked Delivery or $6 for non-Tracked.

I don't think the market would stand a price of around $25 Delivered.

The advantage taht the Hong Kong and Chinese sellers have is that the cost of postage is heavily subsidised for exports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Whereas it would be very easy for me to produce these for under $10 a pop, the postage cost from the UK would be $14 for Tracked Delivery or $6 for non-Tracked.

I don't think the market would stand a price of around $25 Delivered.

The advantage taht the Hong Kong and Chinese sellers have is that the cost of postage is heavily subsidised for exports.
    Right.. but am I correct in thinking that none of these Oriental units are 'TP' hot-wired.. and will therefore only trickle charge (ie. overnight).. so for anyone really requiring a full 1-2 Amp quick charge, or constant running from their car for $16-25, it would actually well worth it to them?

OK, you've run the flag up the mast, Let's see how many people salute it
    Aye Aye Skipper!

C'mon. Ye low amperage Navit Pirates.. avast ye to the Dubloon Chests and prepare to exchange treasure for useful high amperage Treasure!

(or else faff around with micro-circuitry and soldering irons Yeselves!)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    OK, you've run the flag up the mast, Let's see how many people salute it
    Considering I paid $20.00 each for below and they DONT charge

Joy Factory PowerBullet X Low Profile 10W
    Kensington PowerBolt Duo Car Charger

Plus a couple other $10.00 units purported to be HP TP compliant (NOT)

Went to an inverter for $21.83 and at least that works,
    If i were starting over I would certainly go for one for $16.00-25.00 that actually worked!!

Probably would still, considering I still want a low profile charger for my HP TP!!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I bought this:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

I haven't done extensive tests with it but from my quick check it seemed to put about 750mA into the TP (even though rated at 2A), basically trickle charge. I will try to do more testing for a longer period of time.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by rick90680 View Post

If i were starting over I would certainly go for one for $16.00-25.00 that actually worked!!

Probably would still, considering I still want a low profile charger for my HP TP!!
    Thats right.. dragging 12v DC upto mains AC and then back down to 5v DC seems like the 'long way around'!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Right.. but am I correct in thinking that none of these Oriental units are 'TP' hot-wired.. and will therefore only trickle charge (ie. overnight).. so for anyone really requiring a full 1-2 Amp quick charge, or constant running from their car for $16-25, it would actually well worth it to them?

Didn't exactly create a stampede did it.

Quote Originally Posted by rick90680 View Post

Rick90680, Please PM me if you want one of these. It is a MODIFIED "Bullet" Cigar Lighter adapter with TWO USB outlets. The original unit is specified to be capable of supplying 2.1A on one outlet and 1.0A on the other concurrently so it "should" be capable of powering a Touchpad and a Phone or SatNav at the same time.
    Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway: Is it that the chargers aren't sending 2A, or the TouchPad isn't accepting it (somehow)?

I bought a two-USB port car charger (the one Wheel_nut recommended earlier then realized was wrong). It has 1A x 2 ports. If I get one of those cables with the two USB power inputs (like the ones being discussed for the USB host), would that send 2A to the TouchPad?
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast