Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newtothetouch View Post
    Would you be able to post some links to maybe Amazon or Best Buy (maybe walmart) that has some sort of charger that would work for the Touchpad in the car? I don't want to damage the battery and not sure what to get. Thanks!
    If the specs say 2A at 5V it will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    The usb port on that adaptor would not work well but you might be able to plug your mains charger into the other socket. A usb charger would ideally be rated at 2 amps, that one ^ is 500ma, not enough power to charge quickly and would most likely burn out after a short time.
    Ya, my Droid X car charger is rated at 2.1 Amps and is a Micro USB. It would work....but they say that it only charges at 1 Amp output...HUH???? I figured the USB for the above inverter I found wouldn't work, but I didn't know if 175Watts was enough for the main charger to plug in. I did the conversions for the 175 watt and what the amps would be and it was like 1.5, but didn't know if the watts mattered for the main charger etc.
    Noticed there are two touchpad car charger threads going to repeating my post from the other thread here just FYI. If they get merged I'll delete one of them...

Just like with iPad 1 cases getting quickly re-branded as Touchpad cases, looks like there is a mad rush to rebrand USB chargers (including car chargers) as Touchpad chargers. If you google for "hp touchpad car charger" the list goes on and on. Some examples include this this one on Amazon from Cellapod Cases and this "rapid car charger" from Gomadic who all of a sudden seems to sell a quite complete line of HP Touchpad chargers and USB cables. Those are just a couple among -many-.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Many of the posts in this topic give misinformation, with the exceptions of those that say "The TP will not start to charge if plugged into any device that doesn't give it enough power."

As Wilderf says. It need 2A, 5V... or 10! It will tell you it can't charge via others. FYI, the pre charger is not powerful enough. not just any charger will work AT ALL!

But the AC inverter has to be 240W or more to work.

Thanks
    I have tried my Pre car charger and while it gives the error message the battery level did increase when the screen is off.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Just like with iPad 1 cases getting quickly re-branded as Touchpad cases, looks like there is a mad rush to rebrand USB chargers (including car chargers) as Touchpad chargers. If you google for "hp touchpad car charger" the list goes on and on. Some examples include this this one on Amazon from Cellapod Cases and this "rapid car charger" from Gomadic who all of a sudden seems to sell a quite complete line of HP Touchpad chargers and USB cables. Those are just a couple among -many-.
    A 1000 mA USB charger will do better than a 500 mA. $20 seems like a lot though.
    They are $1.79 shipped (or less) on ebay
    Car Cigarette Powered 1000mA USB Adapter/charger DC 12V | eBay

or $3.49 for 2000 mA charger
    White USB Micro Auto Car Charger DC5V 2.0A/2000mA | eBay
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Many of the posts in this topic give misinformation, with the exceptions of those that say "The TP will not start to charge if plugged into any device that doesn't give it enough power."

As Wilderf says. It need 2A, 5V... or 10! It will tell you it can't charge via others. FYI, the pre charger is not powerful enough. not just any charger will work AT ALL!

But the AC inverter has to be 240W or more to work.

Thanks
    Don't take this the wrong way, but it's funny to me when you talk of spreading misinformation, then say an inverter has to be 240W+ to work, and if you look at post #20, the 100W inverter that I posted a link to, works just fine, (I use it daily),no issues whatsoever. It is rated to power a 13" television, which I would think uses considerably more power than a TouchPad.
    <threads merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If the specs say 2A at 5V it will work.
    Maybe.

I've previously researched this for my Android tablet. The problem is that many 3rd party 2 amp car chargers are wired specifically for Apple products. They will (probably) trickle charge a Touchpad, but nothing more. It's actually understating things to say "many", in truth, every single 3rd party car charger I've ever seen reviewed failed to provide a full 2 amp charge to non-Apple tablets.

Android tablet owners have been dealing with this issue for some time, I'm aware of some home-built solutions that require rewiring a cable or adapter, sometimes adding resistors to allow the full 2 amp charge. I've also read that there are some aftermarket adapters that will allow these chargers to deliver a full 2 amps to non-Apple devices. I've not tried any of these adapter solutions, they may well work.

Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure that a given charger will work is to buy it and try it out. As I said, it will probably work - work badly , work slowly, probably delivering at most a meager 500 ma or less.

As others have said, a 500 ma USB charger can be had for under $2. There's little sense in spending 10 times as much for a 2 amp charger that in actuality, will only deliver a trickle charge of 350 to 500 ma.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    the 100W inverter that I posted a link to, works just fine,
    Most chargers will "work", they simply won't provide a full 2 amps of charge like the home charger. In fact, most car chargers will only provide a meager 15% to 25% of the optimal amperage. Requiring at a minimum - 4 times longer to charge the tablet. If the tablet is being used to watch video, they may not even keep up with the rate power is being discharged.

It's not at all surprising that your 100W inverter is providing a charge, it would be surprising to learn that it's providing a full 2 amp charge.
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/13/2011 at 05:40 PM.
  10.    #50  
    It looks like there might be a way to test how much amperage the chargers are delivering. I brought up Battery Monitor that I used one my Pre- and looked at the current and it read -1017mA, I then plugged in a Pre charger, rated at 1 amp, and it now shows 146mA. So that would mean that it is just barely charging and if I start to watch a video or play a game it will probably go negative again. I will try this later with the other chargers that I have and see what results I get.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Inverter caused mine and hubbys trouble... Once plugged in it would not have any touch response.

Hubby uses a Asus Transformer and after the second time froze n needed a soft restart but he thinks it was bc of a custom rom and kernal.

we bought a car charger with a 5V usb out and got same error message about not enuf power for the tablet.

We wanted them for sum summer travel but otherwise don't do a lot of travel.

Needless to say but the inverter was stolen from my car a week or so later... So I can not tell you more; sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It doesn't list the amps, so it's probably just a standard 500miliamp phone charger. As I posted above, it will probably "work", but it's very, very unlikely to provide anything greater than a trickle charge to the Touchpad.

Monoprice sells a similar looking item for $1.33
    For only $1.13 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories

A good price (from a reputable source) for a 1 amp charger. Still, when connected to a Touchpad, will probably only provide a trickle charge of half that or less.

Given that there are so many Android tablet owners in the same boat, and that there have been no 3rd party chargers marketed for them, I think it's unlikely that we'll see any off-the-shelf car charger able to fully power the Touchpad anytime soon. (Hope I'm wrong.)

If HP were still in the game, I'd say the most likely solution would be a 1st party HP car charger. As that is unlikely to happen, the best solution is probably buying a high-quality, high-power inverter or rewiring a USB cable to allow the Touchpad to charge from existing 2 amp USB chargers.

Some in the Android tablet community have done this, but I'm not at all certain that those exact modifications would allow functionality with the Touchpad. Some Android tablets require resistors in the charger or cable, though I've no idea if that specific modification would solve our issue.

More info here:
    Usb charge - Page 3 - xda-developers
    Galaxy Tab charging issue + solution - xda-developers
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/13/2011 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    Most chargers will "work", they simply won't provide a full 2 amps of charge like the home charger. In fact, most car chargers will only provide a meager 15% to 25% of the optimal amperage. Requiring at a minimum - 4 times longer to charge the tablet. If the tablet is being used to watch video, they may not even keep up with the rate power is being discharged.

It's not at all surprising that your 100W inverter is providing a charge, it would be surprising to learn that it's providing a full 2 amp charge.
    Using that inverter, combined with the wall charger, in 2 hours time I get 50% charge back while using it. (screen brightness at lowest setting, as it's usually dark). I don't get any pop-up message saying my device won't charge properly, so I just assumed it was.
  14.    #55  
    by using the Battery Monitor app I came up with these results, YMMV
    Touchpad wall charger 1800 mA
    Touchstone 1500 mA
    Pre wall charger 1200 mA
    Palm car charger 1000 mA
    Technocell car charger 700 mA
    USB 2.0 port on my laptop 500 mA

These are approximate because the app doesn't give live data, I set it to the shortest poll interval of 15 seconds and calculated charge based on change in draw. Since the TP uses apx 1000 mA the Palm car charger should be enough to keep if from dying, however I did not see how much the draw increases when playing a video....

for those who don't know, 1000 mA = 1 amp
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    Add this to the "error box that says the connected charge isn't supplying enough power to charge the device" list.

I contacted Monoprice support... here is their reply:
    ...item 8306 does only 1 amp per output...

F
    I found a USB power cable at New Egg that might work with this charger. It has two male USB plugs on one end and a micro USB on the other. I will post my test results once I receive it.
    Let me get this straight. We need to find a car adapter that has 10w, 2.1a of power output that either has an attached micro-usb cable or a USB socket.

If I read the thread correctly, there are units out there that fit those requirements BUT have a chip in them that prevents the TP or other devices from charging. Can the chip be removed if that's the case?

If it's a matter of looking for a chip for the TP to charge (you know.. so you have to buy an authorized accessory, a'la HP ink carts) then is it possible to write a patch or something that you can load onto the TP to tell the system that it's ok if there's not a chip as long as the power is correct?
    A 2 amp output wall charger does not require a 2 amp input from AC. The person suggesting you need a 240 watt inverter is not thinking this through.

240 watts is 2 amps at 120v - but 2 amps at 5v is only 10 watts. The reality is that there is some conversion loss. But to put this into perspective. I have a an iPhone as well as my Pre Plus. My iPhone came with an aftermarket adapter that outputs 2.1 amps at 5 volts. It also lists the input current as 100-240 volts; 50/60 hz 0.2 amps.

What is also of interest is that you cannot run a phone touchstone off this charger. My suspicion is that the touchstone is looking for a specific crossed wire pattern to indicate high output USB and that is not there in the charger. The Palm Chargers do provide this signal. My Palm charger will charge my iPhone - but I haven't tested to see how slowly to determine if this is faster than USB or not which would tell me if it was supplying 1 amp or 0.5 amps.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjpopp View Post
    Let me get this straight. We need to find a car adapter that has 10w, 2.1a of power output that either has an attached micro-usb cable or a USB socket.

If I read the thread correctly, there are units out there that fit those requirements BUT have a chip in them that prevents the TP or other devices from charging. Can the chip be removed if that's the case?

If it's a matter of looking for a chip for the TP to charge (you know.. so you have to buy an authorized accessory, a'la HP ink carts) then is it possible to write a patch or something that you can load onto the TP to tell the system that it's ok if there's not a chip as long as the power is correct?
    I may of missed it, but I haven't seen a post with a link to a 12V car adapter that has been tested and is able to charge the TP at 2A. I have seen links for 12V car adapters that are rated at 2A, but they haven't been tested.

Again, I may be wrong.

I have a 12V car adapter that only delivers 1A max. It will charge the TP, but it does it slowly. I also have an inverter (converts 12V DC to 110V AC) that works with my wall charger, but it is kind of loud (it has a cooling fan, and it beeps whenever it I turn the car on)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    My suspicion is that the touchstone is looking for a specific crossed wire pattern to indicate high output USB and that is not there in the charger.
    My suspicion is that the Touchpad is also looking for this specific pattern.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast