Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    It will probably "work", but may not deliver anything near 2 amps to the Touchpad.

At least that has been my experience with a number of generic 2 amp chargers on Android tablets. They will (very slowly) charge non-Apple devices, but will only send them 500ma or less.
    I'll be very interested in this.

Thanks.
    the standard Palm-branded charger works, and it's super cheap.
    I would say ANY mobile USB power converter will work. After the touchpad charges when plugged into your usb adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
    Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's a MICRO USB car charger, made for Motorola and sold under the Motorola name, in retail packaging. The rated output is 4.75-5.25V and 950mA.

It will obviously take a little more time than a 2amp charger, but hard to beat for $4.28 and Prime eligible.

I have one of those for my atrix. Works great for it, but not so much for the TP. Just tried it and gives an error message stating the charger is less than optimal and may not charge.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erick161 View Post
    I have one of those for my atrix. Works great for it, but not so much for the TP. Just tried it and gives an error message stating the charger is less than optimal and may not charge.
    +1.. same here
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    We are going on a road trip in a couple of weeks and I'm sure the wife and kids would love to be able to play on the Touchpad. Does anybody know what charger will work for sure with the Touchpad? Should I just get an AC inverter and use the wall charger?
    I bought an inverter back a few years ago, just for this type of reason. Needed to be able to keep my laptop charged on the family trips. Bought it at an outlet mall at Black and Decker. I tried a car charger at work the other night and got the error message. Personally, I think you should just get the inverter. It may be a few dollars more, but it won't damage your pad and it doesn't take up that much space in the car.
    Add this to the "error box that says the connected charge isn't supplying enough power to charge the device" list.

I contacted Monoprice support... here is their reply:
    ...item 8306 does only 1 amp per output...

F
    Last edited by wilderf; 09/06/2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
    Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's a MICRO USB car charger, made for Motorola and sold under the Motorola name, in retail packaging. The rated output is 4.75-5.25V and 950mA.

It will obviously take a little more time than a 2amp charger, but hard to beat for $4.28 and Prime eligible.

I have this exact charger and I've had it since launch day of the Pre minus. It works well with my Pre Touchstone but I've yet to try it with the Touchpad.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    TP requires 2A, Pre 1A.
    Many of the posts in this topic give misinformation, with the exceptions of those that say "The TP will not start to charge if plugged into any device that doesn't give it enough power."

As Wilderf says. It need 2A, 5V... or 10! It will tell you it can't charge via others. FYI, the pre charger is not powerful enough. not just any charger will work AT ALL!

But the AC inverter has to be 240W or more to work.

Thanks
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 09/07/2011 at 10:34 AM.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Many of the posts in this topic give misinformation, with the exceptions of those that say "The TP will not start to charge if plugged into any device that doesn't give it enough power."

As Wilderf says. It need 2A, 5V... or 10! It will tell you it can't charge via others. FYI, the pre charger is not powerful enough. not just any charger will work AT ALL!

But the AC inverter has to be 240W or more to work.

Thanks
    Would you be able to post some links to maybe Amazon or Best Buy (maybe walmart) that has some sort of charger that would work for the Touchpad in the car? I don't want to damage the battery and not sure what to get. Thanks!
    Hello,

Can someone post a link to Amazon, Best Buy or Walmart with a car charger that would work for the Touchpad? I would greatly appreciate it. I am having troubles finding something. Thanks a lot! I will give thanks to everyone who can help out as well.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtothetouch View Post
    Hello,

Can someone post a link to Amazon, Best Buy or Walmart with a car charger that would work for the Touchpad? I would greatly appreciate it. I am having troubles finding something. Thanks a lot! I will give thanks to everyone who can help out as well.
    well I don't know if this will help you but I have a Palm Pre+ phone from Verizon and I bought a car charger for the phone and it works on the TP just fine.
    Read that thread Musick. Every charger the people on that forum posted won't work from what they say. Seemed like a dead topic over there so I thought I would start my own. Thanks though musick.
    Quote Originally Posted by evlinferno View Post
    well I don't know if this will help you but I have a Palm Pre+ phone from Verizon and I bought a car charger for the phone and it works on the TP just fine.
    Does it charge it rather quickly? What are the specs on that charger?
    The usb port on that adaptor would not work well but you might be able to plug your mains charger into the other socket. A usb charger would ideally be rated at 2 amps, that one ^ is 500ma, not enough power to charge quickly and would most likely burn out after a short time.
    Just like with iPad 1 cases getting quickly re-branded as Touchpad cases, looks like there is a mad rush to rebrand USB chargers (including car chargers) as Touchpad chargers. If you google for "hp touchpad car charger" the list goes on and on. Some examples include this this one on Amazon from Cellapod Cases and this "rapid car charger" from Gomadic who all of a sudden seems to sell a quite complete line of HP Touchpad chargers and USB cables. Those are just a couple among -many-.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast