webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Is there a car charger that will work with the Touchpad?
Is there a car charger that will work with the Touchpad?
Like Tree70Likes

Old 06/07/2012, 02:33 PM   #361 (permalink)

I can highly recommend this charger to anyone! It works extremely well.

I received this charger in record time, and tried it out right away. I cannot say how happy I am with both the speed in which I received the device; and, the way it functions.

Kudos to you Wheel_nut!

Grannybw
grannybw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Wheel_nut
Old 06/16/2012, 06:53 PM   #362 (permalink)

Does anyone know if this charger will work with the touchpad?

Monaco 3.1AMP Extreme Charge Car Power Adapter
Old 06/22/2012, 04:48 AM   #363 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
Does anyone know if this charger will work with the touchpad?

Monaco 3.1AMP Extreme Charge Car Power Adapter
Not without modification.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2012, 12:18 PM   #364 (permalink)

What About This Charger? It Says It's 2A 5V

360 Mount Suction Holder+CABLE+Car Charger For Toshiba Thrive 7 /HP Touchpad 4G | eBay
gabo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 08:09 AM   #365 (permalink)

Just recevied my car charger from Wheel_Nut and it works great. I originally purchased a Gomadic that was advertised as able to work on the TouchPad, but it failed to indicate battery charging. This charger worked on the first try with no problems.

Since there is no regular device that charges the TouchPad in a car straight out of the box I consider this a good investment for car trips with my son.

Great job Wheel_Nut.

I purchased 2 not just as a backup but to charge my second TouchPad.
Dsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2012, 02:40 PM   #366 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsquare View Post
Just recevied my car charger from Wheel_Nut and it works great. I originally purchased a Gomadic that was advertised as able to work on the TouchPad, but it failed to indicate battery charging. This charger worked on the first try with no problems.

Since there is no regular device that charges the TouchPad in a car straight out of the box I consider this a good investment for car trips with my son.

Great job Wheel_Nut.

I purchased 2 not just as a backup but to charge my second TouchPad.
HP Vehicle Charger for TouchPad & Pre 3 - Palm Accessories

This add says this charger supports Touchpad but its specs says it only 5v - 1a.
maypo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2012, 11:01 AM   #367 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maypo52 View Post
HP Vehicle Charger for TouchPad & Pre 3 - Palm Accessories

This add says this charger supports Touchpad but its specs says it only 5v - 1a.
Yes, this has been discussed earlier in this thread. The HP charger for the Pre 3 only supplies 1 Amp and will not charge the TouchPad. AFAIK, HP refunded the poster's money.
Old 09/02/2012, 10:58 PM   #368 (permalink)

With the bullet charger I received from wheel_nut I was able to connect the HP TP to the bullet charger AS WELL as my HP Veer Phone that is charged from the Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre and Palm Pixi by Palm (angled platform magnetic). BOTH at the same time. So what I have is a charger that is correctly wired for both my HP products, just as itseems to compare with an Ipad and Iphone charger charging at the same time. FINALLY! . In addition I was able to fully charge using the HP Touchstone Charging Dock for TouchPad by HP. Not that I would in a moving auto, but maybe on the road stopped, camper etc... nice to know it works. AND I was able to charge my DroidX (of course NOT on the Touchstone) instead of my HP Veer phone while charging my HP TP!!!

Big 'Mahalo' (I work with Hawaiians ) or 'thanks' to wheel_nut. Without him, this has not been possible!

UPDATE: wheel_nut asked me to monitor the charger for any over heating when charging BOTH TP and Veer at the same time. Ran around town today for about an hour... no issues: Car didn't explode! Fuse didn't blow! Cool to the touch! AND charged everything back to FULL in no time!! Yea!! Note: FYI, TP charges in the 'TOP' or 2.1a and Phones in the 1a 'BOTTOM'

Update #2

It's been almost a year since I purchased this unit... IT IS STILL WORKING PERFECT!

There have been No heat issues. I ordered a 2nd one, you know, 'just in case'. But I have NEVER had to use it as a replacement :-)

Anyone who is looking to charge their TP via car, don't bother shopping around. Go to Wheel_nut and don't look back.
rick90680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Mutoidi likes this.
Old 10/02/2012, 08:36 AM   #369 (permalink)

I recognize that this is OT, but do you think that this modification would also work on the following device?

Leviton T5630-W 15-Amp 125-Volt 2.1-Amp USB Charger/Tamper-Resistant Receptacle,White - Amazon.com

I have one torn apart, and sitting on my desk. Shorting the D+ and D- does not help (obviously after reading this thread .

My wife and I have touch pads, and unnamed children keep swiping our touch pad barrel connectors. I'd love to get one of these in the wall that would work so I can stop buying the barrels!
vmlinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/08/2012, 05:07 PM   #370 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrosse View Post
Hi Wheelnut!

Thanks in advance for your support. :-)

>> On your customised cable, you should NOT connect the Data lines back to the USB A Plug
I think, this one is definitely a mismatch. My cable is a "straight" 1:1 cable on all 4 lines. The resistor network and the short of the data lines are only "additions" I made. I didn't cut the data lines to the USB-A plug side!

When I connect my cable I didn't get a message in CM9. But the battery icon gets that flash icon, which also occurs when docked at the Touchstone. And it also charges fine to 100% - so far, it's all fine. Except, that the TP draws only around 800mA.

>> It could also be that the Data Lines are being loaded at the USB A plug end (if you haven't isolated them).
Yes... I don't know the inside wiring of the PowerBomb on the data lines. But I think, this is the source for this problem. I have to isolate/cut the data lines from the USB-A plug side.

In addition to the PowerBomb I also own a Power.Guy Power Bank with 5.000mAh. It also has an 5V/2,1A output. It behaves the same as the PowerBomb. Charges fine, but only at 800mA. So I think the problem isn't really that the units are already at their limit. I really think, I have to rework/make a new cable with the data lines not connected to the USB-A plug side.

I will check this and let you know. If successful, I will do a concrete schematic of this and post it here. This should clarify for all times, which lines and resistors are used and have to be connected or not to which side. :-)

In WebOs I didn't have tested it yet. I didn't heard of Govnah so far, but I will test it with the new cable. Thanks again for this information!

Best regards,
Burkhard
Hi, have you had chance to produce the schematics yet?
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 06:01 PM   #371 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
Hi, have you had chance to produce the schematics yet?
Yes he did. Look in this thread http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html
Old 01/06/2013, 02:21 AM   #372 (permalink)

I have a Griffen 2a 5v car charger that I got from walmart that worked out-of-the box. It only has a single usb port and is labelled as '10w'. There's others you can buy there that won't work.

powerjolt 100-2584 is what it says on it.
SamirPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 09:34 AM   #373 (permalink)

Just found one last night at the local walmart.
Hope that will help somebody.
It's dual port as well 1X1Amp and 1X2.1 Amp.
Too bad I didn't snap photo of the back Can't seem to find it on walmart website or online
Anyway searching walmart I found thisBravo View MICRO2.1B 2.1-amp Compact USB Car Charger - Walmart.com
which seems to be mini 2.1Amp charger and it's 5$!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1176.jpg (700.5 KB, 18 views) Email Attachment
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jblather likes this.
Old 02/14/2013, 01:32 PM   #374 (permalink)

This has been answered many times in this thread.

If a Charger is configured for an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Samsung Galaxy Tab or Note, it will NOT charge an HP touchPad at any more than 500mA.

.... unless you modify it as has been described in this thread.
Old 02/16/2013, 11:36 AM   #375 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
This has been answered many times in this thread.

If a Charger is configured for an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Samsung Galaxy Tab or Note, it will NOT charge an HP touchPad at any more than 500mA.

.... unless you modify it as has been described in this thread.
While I understand you have a business to defend, I'm afraid the days of a charger that doesn't work for the Touchpad is over.

The one I got from Walmart in this post works great, and there's a lot more of these products hitting the market even in dual configurations with a total of over 3amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirPD View Post
I have a Griffen 2a 5v car charger that I got from walmart that worked out-of-the box. It only has a single usb port and is labelled as '10w'. There's others you can buy there that won't work.

powerjolt 100-2584 is what it says on it.
Old 02/16/2013, 04:13 PM   #376 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirPD View Post
While I understand you have a business to defend, I'm afraid the days of a charger that doesn't work for the Touchpad is over.

The one I got from Walmart in this post works great, and there's a lot more of these products hitting the market even in dual configurations with a total of over 3amps.
SamirPD, Let me address you specifically as your post is insulting and ill informed.

My post which you referenced was in answer to the previous post and NOT yours which I didn't care to answer.

I stand by my statement that "If a Charger is configured for an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Samsung Galaxy Tab or Note, it will NOT charge an HP touchPad at any more than 500mA."

Furthermore, I do NOT have a "business to defend".

... and finally, what laws of physics or changes to the Hadrware and Software (up to and including V 3.05) do you think have changed to now make iPad chargers charge the TouchPad at its full 1800mA charging current?

Check your charging rate with Govnah and post a screenshot here together with the full description and spec of your charger which you allege charges the TouchPad at FULL rate.
Old 02/16/2013, 09:05 PM   #377 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
SamirPD, Let me address you specifically as your post is insulting and ill informed.

My post which you referenced was in answer to the previous post and NOT yours which I didn't care to answer.

I stand by my statement that "If a Charger is configured for an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Samsung Galaxy Tab or Note, it will NOT charge an HP touchPad at any more than 500mA."

Furthermore, I do NOT have a "business to defend".

... and finally, what laws of physics or changes to the Hadrware and Software (up to and including V 3.05) do you think have changed to now make iPad chargers charge the TouchPad at its full 1800mA charging current?

Check your charging rate with Govnah and post a screenshot here together with the full description and spec of your charger which you allege charges the TouchPad at FULL rate.
I'm sorry you found my post insulting as that was not my intention. I simply found your post that all 2.1a car chargers cannot charge the touchpad to be misinformed as I have one that does.

I don't disagree with you about the idevice-specific ones, but manufacturers have become wise to the fact that making chargers that only work with these specific devices only limits the number of products their charger will work with and are starting to eliminate this restriction.

I will research what Govnah is and see if I can post the screenshot that you've requested. If this isn't charging at the full 1800mA, it would be nice to know.
Old 02/16/2013, 09:32 PM   #378 (permalink)

Okay, I've researched Govnah and won't be installing all the different packages required to get this to work. I hope someone else can buy this charger and perform the test you want.
Old 05/11/2013, 12:38 AM   #379 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywyrm View Post
Hi, everyone. Just registered to post my findings on the Touchpad's charging circuit.

It's a relatively basic resistor divider. The Data pins in the middle are shorted out and there's a 250K pull-up resistor to the 5V power supplied as well as a 300K pull-down to Ground.
The schematic is attached, and on the actual circuit board, the resistors are marked 304 (meaning 30 plus 4 0s) and 39D(? very small, couldn't figure out with a magnifying glass, so just used a multimeter.), respectively.
Unfortunately, there is no way I can think of to modify other chargers without breaking them open and putting in the resistors in yourself. This may render apple chargers incompatible with the iDevices they were designed for.

A little bit of playing around with another USB source (my computer) tells that the data pins are used for nothing more than signaling in the first second or so that the touchpad is connected to the official AC adapter.
It does not initially appear that the voltage on the data pins affects the charging speed, but I need to mess around more with other chargers and the setup and see if I'm wrong.
Right now, I think the touchpad sucks in power until the load forces the power on the 5V pin to hit some threshold, which appears to be ~4.5V.

[Of course, nothing is free, and my AC charger had to be disassembled and sacrificed at the altar for this knowledge. ]

I'll be sure to post any later findings, but right now I'm happy having my touchpad take 1.5A from my solar panel setup . If anyone else on here is of the EE inclination and can confirm, please post!
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but wont the setup detailed in the photo posted earlier in this thread, be also connecting the 5V rail to ground and thus waste power and generate excess heat?

It looks like the circuit will not be able to handle a no load situation, eg modifying a car USB charger to be able to handle an HP touchpad during longer trips

(unless I am understanding the image wrong and somehow the 5V rail does not have a direct path through the 2 shorted data pins and 2 resistors, to ground)

Razor512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2013, 10:23 PM   #380 (permalink)

Wheel_nut,
I sent a message to you... interested in one of your modified chargers, if you're still making and selling them.
In addition, I have a question about the modified charger which I hope has not already been asked/answered.
Can I use the modified charger to charge other devices; such as a Galaxy S3?
swicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0