Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Gergev, I haven't managed to open the type that you have without breaking it so like you I have three of those in the bottom of my Toy-box.

The type that I am now using are easy to open at the Bezel and I am able to perform the rework laparoscopically through the aperture.

PM me if you want one. I have ONE left.....
    Wheel_Nut - I want one of those Bullet Chargers so that I can charge my HP Touchpad in the car without using an inverter. Are you still making/shipping them?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbschwar View Post
    Wheel_Nut - I want one of those Bullet Chargers so that I can charge my HP Touchpad in the car without using an inverter. Are you still making/shipping them?
    Yes. Please PM me for details if you want one.
    Hi,
    I came upon this thread looking for the right connections for hi-cap charging. Thanks to the group here for researching the info.

For my own needs, I've gone a bit different than the cig lighter approach. i tend to have a fair bit of electronics in the truck when going off-road, and I quickly run out of cigarette lighters. So, I bought 4 12v-5v (3a max) stepdown converters from an online source. (check item 280842733779). I also bought 4 TI USB current limiting chips (don't have the model number), and scrounged 4 PC backplane Quad USB adapters. With your resistor information, I'll build modules I can mount in the truck, car and camper that will provide me 4 USB outlets each. I will wire one for the touchpad, one for ip(a/o)ds and leave two open for general 5v charging. My phone, GPS puck and TomTom will charge fine with the open data connectors.

Thanks Again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by csaket View Post
    How easy is it to take this apart?
    Do you have pics of the modified circuit?
    Jblather is correct! Thnks! I've been thru numerous aftermaket usb chargers including the cobra 150 watt inverter. This is a quiet solution. Recognized on CM7 and the newest Webos operating system. I just need to install the Govanah app and see how much current the 16Gb tablet is actually getting. Can. Beat the 5 dollar price tag. I just had to wait 3 weeks because the adapter was shipped from Singapore.
    jblather likes this.
    First of all, I am not an expert but there is an in-car charger for sale at 3.74p on "www.hotukdeals.com" website,that states it IS compatible with the Touchpad.
    It is capable of supplying 5volts to two usb outlets one at 2.1A and one at 1.0A perhaps one of our more knowledgeable members could check it out.
    The Touchpad compatibility check is on the vendor website "www.prepaymania.co.uk".
    Also free shipping.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjaycee View Post
    First of all, I am not an expert but there is an in-car charger for sale at 3.74p on "www.hotukdeals.com" website,that states it IS compatible with the Touchpad.
    It is capable of supplying 5volts to two usb outlets one at 2.1A and one at 1.0A perhaps one of our more knowledgeable members could check it out.
    The Touchpad compatibility check is on the vendor website "www.prepaymania.co.uk".
    Also free shipping.
    If the device says that it is compatible with iPad it is NOT compatible with the Touchpad for full charging amps, it will only trickle charge.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    This one seems to be made for the touchpad. Is there finally a commercial solution?

Double Car Charger with tips including a tip for the HP TouchPad - uses Gomadic TipExchange Technology
    If you contact Gomadic, you may want to get some clarification:

The Charger capacity is 2000 mA and each output supplies 1000mA. This is not sufficient for the TouchPad which requires 5.0 -5.3V @ 2 A.

The Tip that they specify for the TouchPad is 3420-90. They also specify this tip for the Nokia N900, N9 and this leads me to suspect that it is simply a Micro USB adapter.

Price seems steep at $29-95 + $5-00 for Airmail or $12-00 for Fedex 2nd Day or $18-00 for Fedex Next Day for Continental USA.

If you do decide to buy one, please come back here and post your experience with it, particularly the Govnah charging rate statistics.
    Funny picture of the TouchPad on that site - shows the USB connector on the wrong side. Shopped!
    I just found a 2.1amp charger on buy.com
    Will THIS 0NE work?
    Thank you kindly,
    Rosy
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosystreasures View Post
    i just found a 2.1amp charger on buy.com
    will this 0ne work?
    If the description says it is for any Apple device it will NOT charge a TouchPad at full current. If you doubt this then please feel free to purchase every 2.1 Amp Apple charger you run across and report back with your own results.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I have thus far passed on the same costs to all users of my chargers. However, there is an impending increase in postal charges by Royal Mail which comes into force in April 2012.

I will honour any quotes already given as long as payment is made before Friday 27 March 2012 but will pass on any increase in postal costs after that date. I don't know the details of the increase because the Tariff charts haven't been published yet. I will include the updated costs in any quotes I give after 27 March 2012.
    Thanks for the good info in this thread! I needed to make an interposer to charge my Touchpad at max current from an APC UPB90 external battery. I started with this DealExtreme USB adapter for the Galaxy Tab:
    USB Power Adapter for Samsung P1000 - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
    It took about a month to receive it from Hong Kong. I removed two of the surface mount resistors and mounted some thru hole resistors on the unused pads. I works great, but doesn't look great because I am new to soldering
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wheelnut, I have a question:

you always did your mods to a car charger and I can follow all your infos here. Many thanks to all of that!.
    But my attention is actually on Mobile USB chargers. Therefore I have Pebble Pro unit with 13.200mAh (but only 1A USB output) and a PowerBomb 10000 with 10.000mAh, capable of 2,1A output on USB port.
    As I cannot do the mods inside the units (which would be of course the more "secure" solution), I did the mod with a normal microUSB to USB-A cable, which I cutted 30cm after the microUSB connector and soldered my own USB-A connector to it with the 300K and 240K resistors inside it (I took 0805 size since I had this exact values in 0805 size at my hands available).
    Now, I am able for the first time to charge the TP with this cable from the USB battery chargers (without the mod the TP never charged / the battery charger switched off). GREAT!

BUT: I compared the current amount captured under Android ICS CM9 with the Battery Monitor Pro app. And now it seems, the Touchstone delivers something around 1400mA while charging and my cable mod does just around 800mA! How could this be??
    I can measure the 540KOhm from 5V to GND and also the 300K to GND from the data lines and the 240K to +5V. Everything's fine. But I only get about 800mA. Let's assume the TP needs some additional 200mA when its powered on, but with screen off ("standby"), then this means, I only get around 1A out of the charger.

Did I miss anything? I also think I remember one site out there, which tells, the resistors are lower then the ones you took here so far (I didn't remember exactly, but I think it was around half the values and they have been both the same (around 120K to 150K). Does the TP signaling determines the current to draw from the charger in an analog way by measuring the resistance/impedance and voltage level of the external wiring/charger?

Is there any chance for me to get the current up to at least 1800mA?

Please help! I would be glad to get some comments from you...
    BGrosse,

I cannot comment on the CM9 application which you are using to measure charging current as I don't use CM9.

On your customised cable, you should NOT connect the Data lines back to the USB A Plug. The bridged Data lines and the potential divider should only be connected to the Micro B USB plug.

Now, there could be several reasons why the TouchPad is not drawing > 800mA from your Battery:

- Your Battery Pack is incapable of supplying > 800ma despite its specified 2.1A rating. This is the most likely cause!

- When you connect the cable, do you get the Charging Battery message? If not, the TouchPad is not sensing your potential divider on the bridged Data lines. It could also be that the Data Lines are being loaded at the USB A plug end (if you haven't isolated them).

- Have you tried it with webOS and Govnah? What was the charging rate?
    Hi Wheelnut!

Thanks in advance for your support. :-)

>> On your customised cable, you should NOT connect the Data lines back to the USB A Plug
    I think, this one is definitely a mismatch. My cable is a "straight" 1:1 cable on all 4 lines. The resistor network and the short of the data lines are only "additions" I made. I didn't cut the data lines to the USB-A plug side!

When I connect my cable I didn't get a message in CM9. But the battery icon gets that flash icon, which also occurs when docked at the Touchstone. And it also charges fine to 100% - so far, it's all fine. Except, that the TP draws only around 800mA.

>> It could also be that the Data Lines are being loaded at the USB A plug end (if you haven't isolated them).
    Yes... I don't know the inside wiring of the PowerBomb on the data lines. But I think, this is the source for this problem. I have to isolate/cut the data lines from the USB-A plug side.

In addition to the PowerBomb I also own a Power.Guy Power Bank with 5.000mAh. It also has an 5V/2,1A output. It behaves the same as the PowerBomb. Charges fine, but only at 800mA. So I think the problem isn't really that the units are already at their limit. I really think, I have to rework/make a new cable with the data lines not connected to the USB-A plug side.

I will check this and let you know. If successful, I will do a concrete schematic of this and post it here. This should clarify for all times, which lines and resistors are used and have to be connected or not to which side. :-)

In WebOs I didn't have tested it yet. I didn't heard of Govnah so far, but I will test it with the new cable. Thanks again for this information!

Best regards,
    Burkhard
    Wheel_nut, you are my HERO!!

If making it the right way, it works the right way! Nearly 1,8 Amps of charging current out of the pocket is awesome! More than from the Touchstone. I have to drain battery as low as possible now and then capture, where the charging current peaks at and how long it will take to charge the TP completely!

Cool, thank you sooo much! I will later post some diagrams/screenshots of the Android App to show what the result is. Also I will try to share some schematics and photos of the mod.

Best regards,
    Burkhard
    Hi Burkhard,

Glad that you got your pocket charger working. You may want to post your findings in a new thread because (admittedly with my complicity,) we have taken this thread off topic. Apologies to Bockscar who is the OP and owner of this thread.
    In the process of building another batch of Car Chargers, I tested the reliability of using one of the existing low impedance potential dividers instead of removing them and adding the 240K/ 300K Resistors. I found that when using the 51K/75K divider, the TouchPad would charge without the error message UNLESS the TouchPad was near FULL CHARGE. If connected to the Charger with near full charge, the TouchPad would give the warning that the charger was incapable of supplying the requisite current.

I am therefore going to continue to build ALL of my chargers with the 240K/300K Potential Divider. With Postage charges as high as they now are, it is not worth risking sending an inadequate Charger.

You will see from my Avatar that the next batch will be in the ALL NEW Black livery. I still have two white ones left if anybody has a strong preference for this.

p.s. The increase in Royal Mail Charges applicable from 1 May 2012 adds $2 (USD) or 0.80 (UKP) to my previous charges.
    noseph likes this.
    Just wanted to add my comments to those of others thanking Wheel_Nut for the Car charger which is working fine with my Touchpad, out of either port on the charger.

Thanks again Wheel_Nut, not only for the charger but your excellent service.