Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    I don't think people will get it. There is no commercially available car charger for the TP and no matter how many times he's said it people still ask "what about this one? or this one? or this one?"

Maybe if the first post is - "It won't work so don't ask" might do it.

I have lots of friends with TP that are always sending me 2A chargers as possibilities. I finally had to just tell them to stop. Please stop.Really stop. Ok? Stop.

I've modded a handful of the Mcanally's and they seem to be cranking along.
    Thedan55 likes this.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    A real sweetie that is working perfectly for me. Inexpensive, too. Kuddos to the poster who first mentioned it in this thread. Cobra Micro 150 watt inverter with USB and 110 outlet. TP works off both outputs (need barrel for 110 outlet).

Amazon.com: Cobra CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter (Black): Automotive
    Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    A real sweetie that is working perfectly for me. Inexpensive, too. Kuddos to the poster who first mentioned it in this thread. Cobra Micro 150 watt inverter with USB and 110 outlet. TP works off both outputs (need barrel for 110 outlet).

Amazon.com: Cobra CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter (Black): Automotive
    Hmmmmm.... $21-91 + Shipping for a clumsy great mess of cables and a muckle great lump of (Electrically) noisy inverter converting 12V d.c. to 110V a.c. for the TouchPad Charger to convert back to 5V d.c,

Maybe I should be charging more than $28 for my charger! ... Whoops, did I say that out loud!

Edit: p.s. you are wrong! The USB Outlet on that device will only trickle charge the TouchPad.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 02/26/2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added p.s.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Wheel_Nut I know you are mostly jesting (and somewhat promoting) and have done a ton of work for all of us in need by making an elegant, small form factor solution for charging the TP from our vehicles. I almost bought one from you, though I had just made the Cobra purchase as you were releasing your charger.

Admittedly, the Cobra is larger (though small for an inverter), has an extra wire to contend with and has a fan which makes a little noise, BUT it does deliver the following extra benefits at a very low $22.00 (with FREE Shipping for total of $25.00 purchase) like no other device I am aware of that works with the TP:

Charges TP from USB (the usb charges well, doesn't indicate a trickle charge, though I use the barrel usually)
    Allows charging of non-USB devices through the 110 outlet
    Allows faster charging with TP barrel or 110 attachment for other devices like my HTC Touch Pro 2 and Mot. Triumph)
    Provides 150 watts (up to 300) for charging / utilizing PC's and other higher power devices
    Apparently can be used with airline outlets where available.

All that for a very low priced solution.

Those reading this thread looking for solutions need to be aware of this unique, fine option!

I like it so much I bought another!
    Last edited by dgf2002; 02/26/2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revertit View Post
    After reading all the fine work you guys have done modifying car chargers, I decided to go ahead and do some on my own. I'm a pretty accomplished electronics technician (15+ years professionally) so I knew it wasn't going to be too hard.
    I ordered up a few different modules, but this little thing came first:
    USB Charging Adapter for iPad, Model# UP4000
    I tried it without modification, and it didn't work. I kind of expected that, So I took Wheel_Nuts mod and applied it to this. It's a first prototype, but works just fine. I brought my Hp with me to work today to try it out and it charged to 100% no problem.
    I used 1/2 W resistors right away just to make sure, the second one I do I will do the math and downsize accordingly.
    I don't think it was covered in this whole thread, but this is another alternative way to charge your HP.
    Revertit,

You're using the Meritline inline adapter hack successfully it seems. What power adapter did you plug it into? Interestingly it looks like the Meritline one is the same bypass being openly sold for iPad (ie making the iPad draw 2A from things that may or may not support it) -- wonder how many inadequate PSU's and/or PC's have been smoked from people using this thing without knowing what they were doing..

Even the Meritline comments has someone successfully using this on a laptop to charge an iPad, surprisingly.
    Last edited by destinal; 02/26/2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: reworded slightly
    Hey lads Wheel_nut suggested I post my question here.

I've been reading the thread. Unfortunately I bought an external charger before I read it.

The thread says I need to modify some resistors, am just wondering if I can do it on this charger and if anyone can get me the items I need. I'm fine with soldering and have a good amount of experience so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...00_i00_details

That's what I have.

I should also mention with the battery connected although it doesn't charge the Touchpad (I'm using CM9 by the way) when the Touchpads battery gets to zero with the battery connected it stays on for as long as the battery will allow but will still not charge.

I would have a prefer not to modify the charger to much so that it can't be used for anything else but the Touchpad.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thedan55,

The Amazon Product Link doesn't work. Could you check it and edit the linky.

Before you consider modifying anything, you need to check that the Charger is capable of supplying 2Amps at 5.0V to 5.3V.

Now, the Charging mechanism is implemented in Firmware or Software so it may behave differently with CM9. I haven't installed CM9 so anything I offer applies to webOS.

When you plug in the Charger, the TouchPad reads the state of the Data+ and Data- lines on the MicroUSB socket. we have found that the optimal state of the Data lines is:

D+ and D- lines must be bridged.

~2.7V must be present on the bridged Data Lines.

The 2.7V needs to be derived from a HIGH IMPEDANCE potential divider with 240K Ohms to the +5 and 300K Ohms to Ground. (Note that the Chargers made for Apple products use two separate potentisl dividers of much lower impedance ~ 51K )

If the TouchPad senses these conditions, it will draw up to 2 Amps from the +5 and Gnd lines on the MicroUSB socket.

As I have discussed earlier in this thread, this modification is safest when done internal to a charger capable of supplying the correct Voltage and Current. Yes, it can be implemented in the cable or in an interposer adapter between the cable and charger but there is the hazard that the cable or adapter gets plugged into a USB outlet incapable of providing the requisite supply, with unpredictable results.

I hope this helps.....
    jmdesai likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Thedan55,

The Amazon Product Link doesn't work. Could you check it and edit the linky.

Before you consider modifying anything, you need to check that the Charger is capable of supplying 2Amps at 5.0V to 5.3V.

Now, the Charging mechanism is implemented in Firmware or Software so it may behave differently with CM9. I haven't installed CM9 so anything I offer applies to webOS.

When you plug in the Charger, the TouchPad reads the state of the Data+ and Data- lines on the MicroUSB socket. we have found that the optimal state of the Data lines is

D+ and D- lines must be bridged.

~2.7V must be present on the bridged Data Lines.

The 2.7V needs to be derived from a HIGH IMPEDANCE potential divider with 240K Ohms to the +5 and 300K Ohms to Ground. (Note that the Chargers made for Apple products use two separate potentisl dividers of much lower impedance ~ 51K )

If the TouchPad senses these conditions, it will draw up to 2 Amps from the +5 and Gnd lines on the MicroUSB socket.

As I have discussed earlier in this thread, this modification is safest when done internal to a charger capable of supplying the correct Voltage and Current. Yes, it can be implemented in the cable or in an interposer adapter between the cable and charger but there is the hazard that the cable or adapter gets plugged into a USB outlet incapable of providing the requisite supply, with unpredictable results.

I hope this helps.....
    Right I'm quite a novice at the electric engineering so Bare with me. Here is an updated link.

TeckNet iEP392 Dual-Port 12000mAh External Power Bank: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The battery has 2 USB ports. One for phones which says it will deliver 5.5v @ 1a. And one for tablets which it says it will deliver 5v @ 2.1 a

So I take it first step Is to get my multimeter and see what I'm getting from the ports right? But just reading your post again I see I may not be able to get a good result as I need 5.0 -5.3v whereas my battery only provides 5v.

And I have webOS installed too so I can boot into it any time.
    Last edited by Thedan55; 02/27/2012 at 01:12 AM.
    This modification is safest when done internal to a charger capable of supplying the correct Voltage and Current. Yes, it can be implemented in the cable or in an interposer adapter between the cable and charger but there is the hazard that the cable or adapter gets plugged into a USB outlet incapable of providing the requisite supply, with unpredictable results.

If you do decide to implement this in an interposer adapter, you could use something like this:

High Speed USB Interface 2.0 Male to Female Converter Adapter Connector Extender | eBay

Yo would have to split the body and cut the Data lines at the Male end and then add the Bridge and Resistors at the Female end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    This modification is safest when done internal to a charger capable of supplying the correct Voltage and Current. Yes, it can be implemented in the cable or in an interposer adapter between the cable and charger but there is the hazard that the cable or adapter gets plugged into a USB outlet incapable of providing the requisite supply, with unpredictable results.

If you do decide to implement this in an interposer adapter, you could use something like this:

High Speed USB Interface 2.0 Male to Female Converter Adapter Connector Extender | eBay

Yo would have to split the body and cut the Data lines at the Male end and then add the Bridge and Resistors at the Female end.

Brilliant thanks I'll order a few now. Can you supply the resistors or tell me where to purchase them and which ones I need? Is there a schematic in this thread? Been looking but can't seem to find it.

Taking what you said into account should I mod the battery i Have or do the connector mod?
    Also taking what I've got which mod do you recommend I do ?

I'm going to with making the adapter. What resistors do I need ? I have a maplins store near me I can get them from there.
    Last edited by Thedan55; 02/28/2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedan55 View Post

I'm going to with making the adapter. What resistors do I need ? I have a maplins store near me I can get them from there.
    Everything you need to know is IN this thread.. and as Wheel_nut clearly states to you @ #328 above: ".. 240K Ohms to the +5 and 300K Ohms to Ground.." being the value of the resistors you require!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/28/2012 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Everything you need to know is IN this thread.. and as Wheel_nut clearly states to you @ #328 above: ".. 240K Ohms to the +5 and 300K Ohms to Ground.." being the value of the resistors you require!

Thank you don't know how I missed that. I have read the entire thread twice. I actually wanted to know if there is a schematic for the USB adapter with the resistors. I've read the instructions over and over would just be easier if I had something to look at.

I'll be buying the USB ports bare and wiring everything up. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    Thank you don't know how I missed that. I have read the entire thread twice. I actually wanted to know if there is a schematic for the USB adapter with the resistors. I've read the instructions over and over would just be easier if I had something to look at.

I'll be buying the USB ports bare and wiring everything up. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    It's a long thread now, agreed.. but that did seem to be a very recent post.. and directly TO You!

Are you intending to build the entire 2A 12v DC ---> 5.3v DC powersupply/regulator.. is that what you mean by buying the 'bare' USB ports?

Because none of the (many) cigarette-lighter socket to USB adaptors are exactly the same circuit design or layout or even electrical schematic, (which presumably helps the manufacturers get around each others patents!) it is hard, if not impossible, to produce a safe generic scheme.

Essentally all you need to know is here already, if when you get the necessary components together and are still confused or worried or stuck, I am sure someone here can and will point you in the right (and safest) direction!

No one wants to see anyone else's Touchpad (or car!) fried through a simple lack of 'knowhow'!
    If you have a multi-meter & can fine-solder.. you can do it!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/29/2012 at 03:58 AM.
    It's a long thread now, agreed.. but that did seem to be a very recent post.. and directly TO You!

Are you intending to build the entire 2A 12v DC ---> 5.3v DC powersupply/regulator.. is that what you mean by buying the 'bare' USB ports?

Because none of the (many) cigarette-lighter socket to USB adaptors are exactly the same circuit design or layout or even electrical schematic, (which presumably helps the manufacturers get around each others patents!) it is hard, if not impossible, to produce a safe generic scheme.

Essentally all you need to know is here already, if when you get the necessary components together and are still confused or worried or stuck, I am sure someone here can and will point you in the right (and safest) direction!

No one wants to see anyone else's Touchpad (or car!) fried through a simple lack of 'knowhow'!
    If you have a multi-meter & can fine-solder.. you can do it!

Yeah my mistake. Was very late at night when I was reading.

Sorry no I meant I will making the USB male/female connector with the resistors. As I understand it the external battery i have, that I linked to will allow me to do the connector and will be okay. I just want to make sure I wire the connector correctly.

Just to be clear I'm not using a car charger. It's an external battery as I linked above.

I've also checked the xda thread. And the images there but just want a confirmation here.
    I'm trying to upload a picture but I can't do it on my touchpad ill do it when I get on my computer

Here a link to the post. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=30
    Last edited by Thedan55; 02/29/2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Are these the right resistors

Metal Film 0.6W Resistor : Metal Film : Maplin Electronics

If that's not the right link the they have the right one on the right in the list. Just want to make sure there then right one. Also they have a 100k to 300K universal resistors, I shouldn't use those should I?
    Yeah my mistake. Was very late at night when I was reading.

Sorry no I meant I will making the USB male/female connector with the resistors. As I understand it the external battery i have, that I linked to will allow me to do the connector and will be okay. I just want to make sure I wire the connector correctly.

Just to be clear I'm not using a car charger. It's an external battery as I linked above.

I've also checked the xda thread. And the images there but just want a confirmation here.
    I'm trying to upload a picture but I can't do it on my touchpad ill do it when I get on my computer

Here a link to the post. xda-developers - View Single Post - Usb charge
    Now it's my turn to apologise; for not following to your link initially!

Any rated 2A 5v DC power supply output (Charger or Batt), once correctly modified, should cater OK for the TP's charging requirements.

And those 1/4watt (1 x 240K & 1 x 300K) resitors should be just fine by the looks of them, yes.

Now it's my turn to apologise; for not following to your link initially!

Any rated 2A 5v DC power supply output (Charger or Batt), once correctly modified, should cater OK for the TP's charging requirements.

And those 1/4watt (1 x 240K & 1 x 300K) resitors should be just fine by the looks of them, yes.

Thank you very much.

Did you get a chance to look over the diagram in the link? That's the right way to wire it up isn't it.
    Thank you very much.

Did you get a chance to look over the diagram in the link? That's the right way to wire it up isn't it.
    No worries!

The link states that the schematics are for a "Galaxy Tab".. the HP TP is distinctly not a 'Galaxy'!
    The TP has it's own very specific and unique charging requirements..
    I would therefore work from the sufficient/relevant info in this thread only!

I wish you best of luck and success with your Mod, too!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/01/2012 at 02:47 PM.
    No worries!

The link states that the schematics are for a "Galaxy Tab".. the HP TP is distinctly not a 'Galaxy'!
    The TP has it's own very specific and unique charging requirements..
    I would therefore work from the sufficient/relevant info in this thread only!

I wish you best of luck and success with your Mod, too!

Yeah I know I just thought that the wiring would be the same. I just can't get my head around the instructions in this thread, I've read them over and over. All I'm asking for is a diagram to make sure I connect the USB adapters and Resistors correctly.

The bridging from what I've seen just doesn't make sense to me. I bridge data lines and the 2 resistors are connected to the bridge? Just doesn't seem right how can you bridge the data lines and soldering resistors to the bridge?

This is why I just want a small diagram.