Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    HP Vehicle Charger for TouchPad & Pre 3 - Palm Accessories

HP Vehicle Charger for TouchPad & Pre 3
    Old Model Number: 3453WW
    New Model number: FB337AA#AC3

Could it be?
    I believe that this is the Car Charger for the Pre which is rated at <1 Amp.

Like most other chargers NOT made specifically for the TouchPad, it will (trickle) charge the TouchPad, but only very slowly.

It would help is somebody who has one of these could confirm this.
  3.    #283  
    this does look like the same charger for the the Pre but could be different charger that has the same style, just like how the home charger looks the same but is slightly taller. I use my pre charger to charge the TP when in the car, it is slow but does the job. since the model number is different than the old Palm charger hopefully that means that HP upped the amps for the TP.
    Last edited by Bockscar; 12/30/2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post

Like most other chargers NOT made specifically for the TouchPad, it will (trickle) charge the TouchPad, but only very slowly.

I ordered a set hoping it's a new and upgraded version.
    Probably not, but I don't think I'll be using my TP4G much while driving (nDrive is non-responsive on 3.0.4).
    I'll check back in when I get it.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
    Update.
    When left to charge while not in use the TP charges like a train and at least as quickly as when on the Touchstone. Slightly slower than the HP wall charger.

Wheel_nut
    Surely any charger rated at the correct current for the TPs' top rate of charge is going to have sufficiently robust circuit protection to allow this to occur safely?
    A 2A draw from the TP would be seen by the charger as the same draw from any device using the same charger irrespective of what cable (modded or nor) was being employed.
    My Maplin charger with modded USB extension lead shows no sign of any heat build up at all.
    Further update.
    I have now completed my charging project and thanks to all who have contributed I now have an Energizer XPAL 18000 with a 12v output giving 2Ah max via a car charger socket, Maplin 2.1Ah charger and modified cable, all of which is quickly and efficiently charging my TP.
    I calculate that this should give me at least an extra 12 hours of "on the go" power.
    Next idea is to build some sort of solar charger for the XPAL, but that needs 19v so will be tricky.
    Many thanks once again to all who have contributed their knowledge and expertese.
    We are going off topic, but you would probably be better starting with one of these and adding the potential divider. It starts out with a 5V source and obviates the need for a 12V to 5V converter.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Edit: When using an external battery to extend the portable usage time, it may be more efficient to let the external battery "charge" in trickle mode, thus extending the life of the TouchPad's internal Battery. (We are well off topic now!)
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 01/06/2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    We are going off topic, but you would probably be better starting with one of these and adding the potential divider. It starts out with a 5V source and obviates the need for a 12V to 5V converter.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Edit: When using an external battery to extend the portable usage time, it may be more efficient to let the external battery "charge" in trickle mode, thus extending the life of the TouchPad's internal Battery. (We are well off topic now!)
    Agreed it's off topic so I'll start a new thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    HP Vehicle Charger for TouchPad & Pre 3 - Palm Accessories

Old Model Number: 3453WW
    New Model number: FB337AA#AC3

Could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I ordered a set hoping it's a new and upgraded version.
    Probably not, but I don't think I'll be using my TP4G much while driving (nDrive is non-responsive on 3.0.4).
    I'll check back in when I get it.
    Got this e-mail today:

Quote Originally Posted by customerservice.en@palm.com
    The Vehicle Power Charger will only trickle charge the Touchpad.......but will fully charge the Pre 3. If you are not happy with this, please let us know and you could return this and we will offer you a refund.
    Hi GFN, That's a bummer! At least they have offered a FULL Refund. I bought a TouchStone, Two Keyboards and two Cases in the UL accessory Sale and have received nothing though the order says SHIPPED!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Hi GFN, That's a bummer! At least they have offered a FULL Refund. I bought a TouchStone, Two Keyboards and two Cases in the UL accessory Sale and have received nothing though the order says SHIPPED!
    I ordered 3 touch stones and 3 keyboards and all orders were cancelled a few days ago after being accepted!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I hadn't realised that I have a Pre3 mains charger (yes 1A! and a bit dumb as my everyday phone is a Pre3, but, I have always charged it with one of my TP barrel chargers).
    The charger was still in the box.
    Charged the TP last night and 72% to full in 4 hours no use with display on.
    I'm going to get a Pre3 car charger and see how that goes as it would seem that the TP was getting more than a trickle charge!!!!!
    They shipped my order yesterday and it arrived today.
    I wasn't at home but had told them to shove it, so now the DHL status says Returned to shipper.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they won't refund the shipping at first. They can be rather pathetic and incompetent, same as the eBay HP crew. Then again, you can't expect people to get paid in peanuts and know anything or be able to do things right the first time.
    I found a 4-port USB car adapter at Meritline that will supply a total of 2.1 Amps. $5 shipped.

Using the information supplied by wilywyrm in post #98, I opened it up, studied the circuit and found that removing just two resistors will result in two of the ports supplying 2.1 Amps. No need to add resistors. There are already other resistors in the circuit for the voltage divider. To get the Touchpad to recognize this adapter as capable of supplying 2 Amps, just remove two of the resistors.

$5 each, free shipping:
    Universal 4-Port USB Car Charger Adapter for Mobile Devices

The four USB ports are split into two circuits, two USB jacks per circuit. Each circuit is identical. I removed R4 and R10, which was really easy because they were on the edge of the circuit board. Then I ran a bit of solder between the middle two pins of that USB jack pair. It was real easy, didn't have to add any components. Removing just R4 and R10 and creating the small solder bridge modifies just two of the USB ports.

The other circuit is still stock, so you can still use the other two USB ports with your smartphone.

If you want to modify all four ports, also remove R7 and R12 and solder together the two middle pins of the USB jack on that side. Easy.

Tested, works great.
    Last edited by jblather; 01/17/2012 at 04:11 PM.
    loielizard likes this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Received this car charger today and put the TP on immediate charge.
    The TP charged to a Max of 100percent while not in use and maintained the battery level of charge while in subsequent use so this seems to fit the bill at least as far as being a viable alternative allbeit expensive!

I'll charge again at the end of the day and report further on speed of charge.
    Received this car charger today and put the TP on immediate charge.
    The TP charged to a Max of 100percent while not in use and maintained the battery level of charge while in subsequent use so this seems to fit the bill at least as far as being a viable alternative allbeit expensive!

I'll charge again at the end of the day and report further on speed of charge.
    Could you try charging the TouchPad whilst switched on and running a graphic App. Check the Charging rate with Govnah. Please could you report the charging rate here.

GuyFromNam reported earlier that the charger was the same as the Pre Charger i.e. 1A Max output.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Could you try charging the TouchPad whilst switched on and running a graphic App. Check the Charging rate with Govnah. Please could you report the charging rate here.

GuyFromNam reported earlier that the charger was the same as the Pre Charger i.e. 1A Max output.
    I will try all that although at the present doing a recharge over time test.
    This is all in Android as I don't use Webos, but I'll boot into it and check.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

OK, I got some strange results.
    The HP Pre 3 car charger (its really the same 1A model as for the Pre/Pixie etc and neither the Pre nor the TP are shown on the box as compatable models) gave 14% charge per hour in Android when TP not in use. It holds the level when in use.
    In Webos Govnah reports +3mA. That doesn't seem to make sense. The low charge message came up.
    I changed to my modded cable and 3rd party USB car charger and got exactly the same result but without the message popping up.
    No intensive graphic test yet
    Last edited by pa49; 01/29/2012 at 06:12 PM.
    OK, I got some strange results.
    The HP Pre 3 car charger (its really the same 1A model as for the Pre/Pixie etc and neither the Pre nor the TP are shown on the box as compatable models)
    So, as GFN said, it is the same as the 1A Pre Charger
    ... gave 14% charge per hour in Android when TP not in use. It holds the level when in use.
    In Webs Govnah reports +3mA. That doesn't seem to make sense. The low charge message came up.
    I changed to my modded cable and 3rd party USB car charger and got exactly the same result but without the message popping up.
    That's because you Battery is fully charged. Try it with a discharged Battery and if your modded rig is working correctly, you should get a charge rate up tp 1.8A... just as with the Barrel Charger.
    No intensive graphic test yet
    Leave Govnah running while you run an intensive Graphics App and when you switch back to the Govnah Card, it will show the history.
    After reading all the fine work you guys have done modifying car chargers, I decided to go ahead and do some on my own. I'm a pretty accomplished electronics technician (15+ years professionally) so I knew it wasn't going to be too hard.
    I ordered up a few different modules, but this little thing came first:
    USB Charging Adapter for iPad, Model# UP4000
    I tried it without modification, and it didn't work. I kind of expected that, So I took Wheel_Nuts mod and applied it to this. It's a first prototype, but works just fine. I brought my Hp with me to work today to try it out and it charged to 100% no problem.
    I used 1/2 W resistors right away just to make sure, the second one I do I will do the math and downsize accordingly.
    I don't think it was covered in this whole thread, but this is another alternative way to charge your HP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    noseph likes this.
    Revertit, This has been covered in this thread more than once with an adapter such as you have used and also with a butchered cable.

So, What do you think will happen if you plug the TouchPad through this adapter, into a USB Charger rated at 500mA or 1.0A? .... or even a PC USB Port rated at 500mA?

The Potential Divider signals to the TouchPad that it can draw up to 2A. The only fail-safe way to implement the modification is INTERNALLY to a Charger capable of supplying 2.1Amps.