Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 391
Like Tree71Likes
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsf600y View Post
    Just bought charger from wheel_nut, working absolutely fine.

    .....
    Glad to hear that. Not a single problem to date.

    I am down to my last one now so perhaps time to get the Soldering kit out and make some more!

    .....

    All I need to do now is rig up some sort of in-car mount for the Touchpad.....
    Have a look at RickV and Rick90680's posts on Page 11 of this thread. There are pictures of both Windscreen and Headrest mounts which may suit your needs and available on eBay for under a Tenner.
  2. #262  
    Like to share my experience/mystery on TP home-made car charger.

    Instead of searching the right car charger to break and tailor, I made adapters in USB female-male on each side, of course in between I connect those data wire with the way of wheel_nut mentioned.

    It works on all car chargers eg. ipod(1A)/ipad2(2A)/Noname(500mA).
    After I tested, find out it does not matter what Amps the car charger providing, it will charge my TP. The different in Amps providing will only affect the time to increase the % of TP power. Of course have more than 2A charger can get a quicker charge. The data wire change is just to turn on the TP to accept a quick charge. I even use 400mA(5V) power supply with my adapter to charge TP that works too, of course a little bit slow but not that slow like without adapter.

    My mystery is: I can get my tailor-made adapter working without any issue but that works only with my Original TP USB Cable (OC).

    I have 2 more micro usb cables [One from Nokia (NC) and one from cheap store (CC)] which are all working WITHOUT any issue under TP USB data transfer mode that means data wires are fine. I check the Voltage difference on all wire(include data lines) between my OC, CC and NC, the difference is only 0.01V, not a significant one.
    When I use exacly the same adapter and power supply but different cables on my TP under screen off case, they all can show charge icon but following result I got:
    (CC-Cheap cable) 45minutes to increase 2%
    (OC-TP Original Cable) 45minutes to increase 11%
    (NC-Nokia Cable) 45minutes to increase 2%

    It is so strange, may be those 2 cables are USB-1 instead of USB-2 but it makes so BIG difference. So even the USB cable can be an important factor.

    This may give hints to anyone can't make the tailor-made charger working. Hope someone can help me to solve this too. I attache my adapters picts in here too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3. #263  
    Perhaps the original TP USB/Charge cable only utilises One of the two data cable cores when sensing charging - as in both the official and also thereby, the modified charger outputs, the centre data pins are bridged together anyway?

    The 2 other (non-TP) USB cables would try to use Two (both) data cable cores to communicate (unsuccessfully therefore) with the + & - polarity charging sensor circuitry in the TP? Therefore it will only charge at the slow rate through those cables.. and at the faster rate (relative only to the MAX. Amperage output of the individual power supply/charger) through the original TP USB cable?

    Just a thought.

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/02/2011 at 03:21 PM.
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by infocafe View Post
    Instead of searching the right car charger to break and tailor, I made adapters in USB female-male on each side, of course in between I connect those data wire with the way of wheel_nut mentioned.

    It works on all car chargers eg. ipod(1A)/ipad2(2A)/Noname(500mA).
    After I tested, find out it does not matter what Amps the car charger providing, it will charge my TP. The different in Amps providing will only affect the time to increase the % of TP power. Of course have more than 2A charger can get a quicker charge. The data wire change is just to turn on the TP to accept a quick charge. I even use 400mA(5V) power supply with my adapter to charge TP that works too, of course a little bit slow but not that slow like without adapter.
    Hi Infocafe,

    As I have stated earlier in this thread, there is a hazard in what you are doing. At risk of repeating myself, I will do so only this time:

    The Configuration of the Data lines INSIDE THE CHARGER signal to the TouchPad that the Charger is capable of supplying the FULL Charging Current demanded by the TouchPad.

    By fudging this in the cable, you are defeating this safety mechanisn and allowing the TouchPad to draw its full Current demands from ANY source, without regard to the capability of the Source to deliver it SAFELY.

    Whereas your current experience may seem successful, you are relying on the "CURRENT LIMIT" circuitry within the Charger. Without knowing or testing the characteristics of that Current Limit circuit, you risk overheating of the Charger. Because of this hazard, I have NOT recommended this method and have only modified Chargers with capability rated in excess of the 2.0A prescribed by the TouchPad.

    It is much safer and easy enough to modify the Charger internally. The details for doing this are well described in this thread and I am happy to respond to any pleas for help with doing the modification.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 12/02/2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Typo
  5. #265  
    Received and verified my Wheel_nut charger (configured to charge my touchpad on one port and generic USB phones/devices on the other) works great. Mad props for a solid charger and timely shipping.
  6. #266  
    Just wanted to also chime in that the charger I received recently from Wheel_nut works as advertised.
  7. pa49's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #267  
    I have canibalised and modded a male to female USB extension cable and for testing purposes I am using it with a 5-7 amp 12volt regulated power supply with a car lighter socket on the end of a flying lead.
    The USB charger being used is a readily available part from Maplin which is rated at 2.1 amps.
    All works correctly and charge is being drawn by the TP with the charge indicater active.
    The only thing is that the charge seems slow while still using the TP.
    I'll leave it over night to see if the charge completes.
    Any reason it would be slow?
  8. #268  
    Count me in as another happy camper using Wheel_nut's modded charger. It works a treat.
  9. #269  
    thanks, wheel_nut, I got my USB charger and it works PERFECTLY !
    Bill
  10. #270  
    Weel_nut, how can I go about purchasing this charger from you?

    Thanx a bunch.
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by shoutcastR View Post
    Weel_nut, how can I go about purchasing this charger from you?

    Thanx a bunch.
    He asks that he be contacted via the Private Messaging system here.
    (Click on his name @ #264 above).

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/06/2011 at 12:00 PM.
  12. #272  
    Mutoidi, thanks for the heads up.
  13. #273  
    I received my charger from Wheel_nut today, and my Touchpad is charging without a single complaint. Thanks Wheel_nut.
  14. #274  
    Excuse the ignorance, What happens if you plug a non-touchpad/palm/Ipad device in to the modified charging adapter? I would assume it would only pull up to the device rating, but you know what they say about assuming.
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancromwell View Post
    Excuse the ignorance, What happens if you plug a non-touchpad/palm/Ipad device in to the modified charging adapter? I would assume it would only pull up to the device rating, but you know what they say about assuming.
    The answer is that it depends on what device is that you plug in. Assuming that the Charger Port has been modified to the HP TouchPad standard:

    A HP TouchPad, Pre or Veer will charge at its full rate

    A Nokia N900 (and possibly an N8 and N9) will charge at its full rate

    An Apple iPad, iPhone, or iPod will NOT Charge

    Any other device: YMMV

    Now, I have on two occasions, supplied modified Chargers with one port configured to the TouchPad standard and the other configured to the Apple iPad/ iPhone/ iPod standard. It does however involve about a half hour's extra work but provides a neat solution for a Road Warrior who travels with a TouchPad tethered to an iPhone.
    rick90680 likes this.
  16. pa49's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
    I have canibalised and modded a male to female USB extension cable and for testing purposes I am using it with a 5-7 amp 12volt regulated power supply with a car lighter socket on the end of a flying lead.
    The USB charger being used is a readily available part from Maplin which is rated at 2.1 amps.
    All works correctly and charge is being drawn by the TP with the charge indicater active.
    The only thing is that the charge seems slow while still using the TP.
    I'll leave it over night to see if the charge completes.
    Any reason it would be slow?
    Update.
    When left to charge while not in use the TP charges like a train and at least as quickly as when on the Touchstone. Slightly slower than the HP wall charger.

    Wheel_nut
    Surely any charger rated at the correct current for the TPs' top rate of charge is going to have sufficiently robust circuit protection to allow this to occur safely?
    A 2A draw from the TP would be seen by the charger as the same draw from any device using the same charger irrespective of what cable (modded or nor) was being employed.
    My Maplin charger with modded USB extension lead shows no sign of any heat build up at all.
  17. #277  
    Here is one that will work.
    BurnsMoto - USB Universal Car Charger - 1 amp or 2.1 amps
    It is available in 2.1 amps.
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Here is one that will work.
    BurnsMoto - USB Universal Car Charger - 1 amp or 2.1 amps
    It is available in 2.1 amps.
    No it won't. ...... for all the reasons that have been discussed earlier in this thread.
    Mutoidi likes this.
  19. #279  
    Received the 2 ordered chargers from Wheel-nut and am very happy with them. One is a Christmas gift for friend. Thanks again, Wheel-nut.
    Palm M125-M130-M500-M515-Tungsten T3-Palm Pixi Plus/Pageplus
    HP Touchpad 32gb rec'd 10/26
    rick90680 likes this.
  20. #280  
    I will be making another batch of Car Chargers soon. Please PM me if you want one.

Posting Permissions