Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I have one of Wheel_nut's TouchPad modified car adapters. It is worth every penny, excellent quality...
    Lucky <guy>! :-) I want one too!

... If you have a need to charge your TouchPad on the go I would PM Wheel_nut and encourage him to make more.

Great work Wheel_nut, it is members like you that make the webOS community worth supporting.
    Hey Wheel_nut - if you want to go into a side business, I will certainly purchase a couple. If not, can you post the details and someone else was going to post pictures?

Is this the device you recommend? I already had one on order as part of the quest for the holy grail.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AKYNXU

Thanks!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/22/2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: posting around language filter
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    This isn't really very practical, but what about plugging the touchstone into a car inverter, then charging. Any concerns about damaging the touchstone's circuitry?
    Perhaps Rick90680 can clarify this but I believe that he has used the Car Charger with a Touchstone successfully.

I don't have a Touchstone so don't know whether it is powered from the Barrel PSU ot directly from the Mains. I can't see why you would want to carry something as cumbersome as a Touchstone with a computer as portable as a Tablet. I started down this road because I hate carrying all of the clutter and shmutter that goes with this Technology. When I was a Road Warrior, I built a small converter which adapted my ThinkPad PSU to charge everything from my Phone to my Shaver! ..... but we all have different imperatives and if that floats your boat ......
    It's not that I want to lug around the touchstone, but since finding a car charger was a problem (up until now !), I thought this could work, and not risk frying the TP.

I'm assuming the touchstone and TP usb chargers are interchangeable. Mine look identical.
    Is there something about the inductive charger which would require the special circuitry, and the TP was modified accordingly so the chargers could be used on both?
    Quote Originally Posted by scobb View Post
    Lucky <guy>! :-) I want one too!
    PM me .....
    Is this the device you recommend? I already had one on order as part of the quest for the holy grail.
    Amazon.com: BC Accessories High Output Dual USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks!
    I can't really confirm that the Amazon unit is identical to the ones I am using. I have bought from four separate sources and they are all different inside.

The most difficult to modify is the grey bodied one with the opaque dark grey bezel. The bezel is flanged into the body so you have to split the solvent welded body to release it. Also, the PCB is circular and set back about 15mm behind the bezel so impossible to get at it through the bezel aperture.

Of the type with the transluscent Bezel, there are a variety of PCBs and the four Surface Mounted Resistors you have to remove are scattered differently. Note that the SMDs are very small (0603 (1608 metric): 0.063 0.031 in (1.6 0.79 mm)) so you need the right equipment and deft fingers to remove them without damaging the PCB.

Best to buy ONE and try it instead of doing what I did and buying three which are now buried in the bottom of my Toy-box.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/22/2011 at 04:17 PM.
    rick90680 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Perhaps Rick90680 can clarify this but I believe that he has used the Car Charger with a Touchstone successfully.

I don't have a Touchstone so don't know whether it is powered from the Barrel PSU ot directly from the Mains. I can't see why you would want to carry something as cumbersome as a Touchstone with a computer as portable as a Tablet. I started down this road because I hate carrying all of the clutter and shmutter that goes with this Technology. When I was a Road Warrior, I built a small converter which adapted my ThinkPad PSU to charge everything from my Phone to my Shaver! ..... but we all have different imperatives and if that floats your boat ......
    When I received my Mod from wheel_nut, I tried all the options. In my pics, I show the HP Veer tethered to the USB/Magnetic charger, but it also powers via the Palm Touchstone Charging Dock, which for me is preferable as it just lays on the touchstone and has been pot hole and quick turned tested In addition I tried the HP Touchstone Charging Dock for TouchPad and it fully and continuously charged the TP. I rarely use the dock,

1. Because just about every case I have doesn't work with it

2. It is very 'picky', even if you have it on a solid, secure surface. It works fine if you do not have it in a case, but then one bump in the road and??? no protection. For me, it wouldn't be practical in my car, but someone else may have a different vehicle, Van, RV, Motor-home or Camper-Van. If you have a need with one of those vehicles and/or you have some sort of 'stabilized' car desk, it will work perfectly!

The phone touchstone is a slanted disk that is connected by a micro USB at its base then the USB connector inserted in the cigarette charger. I'm waiting for my 3M adhesive to 'cure' then I'll post pics of way it's used [for me, at least]. There's a thread: "Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!" (my HP Veer must be a Pre in disguise) cuz it works perfectly with the touchstone.

The TouchPad touchstone is hardwired to the Touchstone and connects via USB to the Barrel PSU. If you connect the USB to the 'top' of wheel_nut's mod, you will be able to charge via the dock... (if you wanted to )

So, bottom line is that the TouchPad accessories as well as the Palm Pre/HP Veer options will power correctly, fully and quickly with wheel_nut's mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have one of Wheel_nut's TouchPad modified car adapters. It is worth every penny, excellent quality. I have been able to charge my TouchPad and Pre2 simultaneously with this unit. If you have a need to charge your TouchPad on the go I would PM Wheel_nut and encourage him to make more.

Great work Wheel_nut, it is members like you that make the webOS community worth supporting.
    From 'sea to shining sea', wheel_nut's unit is workin' in the USA!!!
    I have been using my Touchstones in and out of the car.

I have used it with a mount type I have easily found on ebay, and was able to get them for under 10$CAD shipping included (to Canada that is. shipping charges may vary depending on country). Photos show a Headrest mount as My suction cup mount is in the car, but the device part of the Mount is absolutely identical
    Here is a front view of the Mount with top clamp bracket moving up/down for easy mount/removal of the assembly:

It also allows for both portrait and landscape mode use:

Top and Bottom Clamps are adjustable and I have accidentally found that fully extended they are a just the right position to hold the TouchStone charger:

Giving the top bracket just enough pressure the TP and TS charger are firmly help in place even in harsh driving condition. (I have been on country roads with SUV and the whole assembly stayed soundly attached to the Windshield) In order to avoid the Mount to shake too much while driving I usually try to have the bottom part sitting on a part of the dashboard. It usually does the trick.

So I have moded a Griffin P2275

The moded connector is able to charge through the TouchStone as easily and as fast as the Barrel PSU.

I love the P2275 as it extremely small, and the bezel is actually very easy to take apart without breaking everything

I have a few ideas on making a TouchStone mod of a mount for my Pre2 and will post when I'm done so you can enjoy.

Happy SAFE driving with your TP... (I do use Maptoll Pro and Prego GPS so I have a full fledged 10" GPS on the dash... It turns heads... LOL)
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Quote Originally Posted by RICKV View Post
    I have been using my Touchstones in and out of the car.

I have used it with a mount type I have easily found on ebay, and was able to get them for under 10$CAD shipping included (to Canada that is. shipping charges may vary depending on country). Photos show a Headrest mount as My suction cup mount is in the car, but the device part of the Mount is absolutely identical
    Here is a front view of the Mount with top clamp bracket moving up/down for easy mount/removal of the assembly:
    Click to view quoted image
    It also allows for both portrait and landscape mode use:

Top and Bottom Clamps are adjustable and I have accidentally found that fully extended they are a just the right position to hold the TouchStone charger:Click to view quoted image

Giving the top bracket just enough pressure the TP and TS charger are firmly help in place even in harsh driving condition. (I have been on country roads with SUV and the whole assembly stayed soundly attached to the Windshield) In order to avoid the Mount to shake too much while driving I usually try to have the bottom part sitting on a part of the dashboard. It usually does the trick.

So I have moded a Griffin P2275
    The moded connector is able to charge through the TouchStone as easily and as fast as the Barrel PSU.

I love the P2275 as it extremely small, and the bezel is actually very easy to take apart without breaking everything

I have a few ideas on making a TouchStone mod of a mount for my Pre2 and will post when I'm done so you can enjoy.

Happy SAFE driving with your TP... (I do use Maptoll Pro and Prego GPS so I have a full fledged 10" GPS on the dash... It turns heads... LOL)
    Thanks, RICKV. You made me rethink the use of the Touchstone in the car! . I NEVER use it in the house, so it was sitting there. Itself, it is small and was usable as a stand, so placing it 'within' a cradle is ingenoius as it takes no more room than the TP itself with or witout a case. (I did find ONE case that worked at home, but it a bit precarious). The 'clamping' at the top provides the stability it needs. Now, if you could only get me my own Great Seal!
    You can find all the webOS OS wallpapers here:
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-o-s-...and-computer-1

Have fun!
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

rick90680 likes this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Whereas it would be very easy for me to produce these for under $10 a pop, the postage cost from the UK would be $14 for Tracked Delivery or $6 for non-Tracked.

I don't think the market would stand a price of around $25 Delivered.

The advantage taht the Hong Kong and Chinese sellers have is that the cost of postage is heavily subsidised for exports.
    Airmail package to US- 200gms- 3.50 ($5.50approx)
    So this is economically doable!
    My problem is that I have an Energizer XP18000 (18000mAh external battery) which will put out an even 1Ah from the USB port which in real world usage is not sufficient to power the TP the way I use it.
    However, the 9-12V output handles 2Ah so I need to be able to connect a flying lead car charger socket and have a high rated USB charger to plug in. This will then give me something like three times extra operating time when on the go.
    Any chance of making mods available?
    Quote Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
    Airmail package to US- 200gms- 3.50 ($5.50approx)
    So this is economically doable!
    My problem is that I have an Energizer XP18000 (18000mAh external battery) which will put out an even 1Ah from the USB port which in real world usage is not sufficient to power the TP the way I use it.
    However, the 9-12V output handles 2Ah so I need to be able to connect a flying lead car charger socket and have a high rated USB charger to plug in. This will then give me something like three times extra operating time when on the go.
    Any chance of making mods available?
    Call me a liar for 50 cents! I said it was $6 for non-tracked Air-mail to the USA,,,,

The details of the modification are already posted in this thread in great detail and I would encourage everybody to do the modifications themselves. RickV is also going to post a detailed set of pictures to help users do this. This is after all a mutual help forum.

For those who don't get out of bed for less than $10,000, there's Mastercard!
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 11/12/2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Corrected Smiley
    OK, RICKV, you made me do it! It's in my car charging via the Touchstone and the wheel_nut mod. Not sure I am going to DRIVE with it there, but I know it works and I can get it charged, will probably use it with the headrest mount!

Note: add 2 pics of the newer phone mount with Touchstone (a little less Heath Robinson - love that term ) Working on another even 'cleaner' mod soon....
    Last edited by rick90680; 11/14/2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: edit pic
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Powerline makes a 2000mA car charger with "One USB Power Port with 2000 ma of Power"
    2000 ma Universal Car Cord Adapter
    It's sold on Amazon for $16.99
    Amazon.com: PowerLine 2,000mA Universal DC Adapter with Compatibility Tips and USB Port: Electronics
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Powerline makes a 2000mA car charger with "One USB Power Port with 2000 ma of Power"
    Amazon.com: PowerLine 2,000mA Universal DC Adapter with Compatibility Tips and USB Port: Electronics
    As I understand the developments in this thread, it is not necessarily the stated output of a power supply device that is the only factor in successfully charging the Touchpad at a fast (-->2A) rate.. it has as much (if not more!) to do with the configuration of the centre pins of the USB output in relation to how the Touchpad (NOT the iP*d) regulates it's own specific charge rate/requirements efficiently.

So 'Universal' may just as often mean 'slow charge only' for Touchpads, despite the claimed high 'Power' output specs!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/14/2011 at 05:17 AM.
    rick90680 and Wheel_nut like this.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    does it charge the Touchpad? Have you you used it successfully via usb?
    Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    does it charge the Touchpad? Have you you used it successfully via usb?
    It will probably charge it 'successfully' via USB.. but possibly slowly and not at the full 2A 'fast rate' that some find more practical and that is also within the Touchpad's fullest potential/design.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    It will probably charge it 'successfully' via USB.. but possibly slowly and not at the full 2A 'fast rate' that some find more practical and that is also within the Touchpad's fullest potential/design.

my guess as well.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    If you really need a full 2A auto charger for your TouchPad that works just PM Wheel_nut, you will not regret it in the long term.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    If you really need a full 2A auto charger for your TouchPad that works just PM Wheel_nut, you will not regret it in the long term.
    Yes.. only doing what HP shoulda done in the first place!

'Mobility' indeed!

rick90680 and Wheel_nut like this.
    Thanks Noseph.

I am sending out the rest of the chargers this week and if my Post Office is any indication, the Christmas rush is about to start!

If anybody wants one this year, PM me now. Besides the Postal rush, the XYL will want the spare bedroom and her Kitchen Table cleared soon ... and there is no way I am going to do this in my Garage. The temperature dropped to 4 degrees Celsius this morning and it is time to seal myself in, write my Dear Santa letters and gaze out of my window at the winter vista.
    bobwonderful likes this.