Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    Very, very true.

I used to work at RadioShack, where our cheapest inverter at the time was something like 3x the cost of the competition. Customer routinely would come in to buy an inverter, turn around, go to the truck stop down the road. Come back a few hours later, wondering if I knew why their cheap *** truck stop inverter melted down. I'd point out that money spent buying quality products is money well spent, and money spent buying suspiciously cheap things is usually money wasted. So, they'd take my $99 inverter (even though I would almost always recommend the $150 or $300 one for most of their purposes), bring it back a few hours later with it's fuses blown, and/or melted down, and then realize that I actually knew what I was talking about, and get one of the higher rated ones.

Corporate often thought our low end inverter line had problems, due to significant repair shop instances, but hey, I'd rather exchange your broke one that you paid $100 for for one that will work and make you happy at 3x the cost, make 2x the profit, and then spend $6 getting the one you insisted on buying against my recommendation repaired.

A $30 300-watt inverter is not a "deal", it's an electrical disaster, that might work for old school battery operated devices, but I wouldn't depend on it for anything, especially not high-current devices.

.. the funny thing, now that I'm thinking about it, is that things that we would consider "high drain" devices back then, such as like 5 inch portable TVs, and the like, those things took far less power than the battery chargers we use for our devices now.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Do build car charger for yourself per my schematic. No need to get Inverter.

With modified micro USB cable, you can CHARGE Touchpad via car charger, computer or even solar panel.
    rbender likes this.
    With the bullet charger I received from wheel_nut I was able to connect the HP TP to the bullet charger AS WELL as my HP Veer Phone that is charged from the Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre and Palm Pixi by Palm (angled platform magnetic). BOTH at the same time. So what I have is a charger that is correctly wired for both my HP products, just as itseems to compare with an Ipad and Iphone charger charging at the same time. FINALLY! . In addition I was able to fully charge using the HP Touchstone Charging Dock for TouchPad by HP. Not that I would in a moving auto, but maybe on the road stopped, camper etc... nice to know it works. AND I was able to charge my DroidX (of course NOT on the Touchstone) instead of my HP Veer phone while charging my HP TP!!!

Big 'Mahalo' (I work with Hawaiians ) or 'thanks' to wheel_nut. Without him, this has not been possible!

UPDATE: wheel_nut asked me to monitor the charger for any over heating when charging BOTH TP and Veer at the same time. Ran around town today for about an hour... no issues: Car didn't explode! Fuse didn't blow! Cool to the touch! AND charged everything back to FULL in no time!! Yea!! Note: FYI, TP charges in the 'TOP' or 2.1a and Phones in the 1a 'BOTTOM'

Update #2

It's been almost a year since I purchased this unit... IT IS STILL WORKING PERFECT!

There have been No heat issues. I ordered a 2nd one, you know, 'just in case'. But I have NEVER had to use it as a replacement :-)

Anyone who is looking to charge their TP via car, don't bother shopping around. Go to Wheel_nut and don't look back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rick90680; 09/02/2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: annual update
    Wheel_nut likes this.
    There once was a mean warlord Hobiet Person (HP) that dwelled in the corporate castle and kept the people indentured by selling them electronics that that would ‘throw away’ later, only to sell them more. The last thing to throw was a little tablet that never be charged in the people's automobiles. It was always a mystery. A worldwide challenge was sent out to the corners of the earth to find a ‘car charger’ that would ACTUALLY charge the Hobiet Person tablet Then one day, in a tiny little country with beautiful highlands and rich history, there lived a’ once upon a time road warrior’. that solved the problem. From ‘down under’ and north to Canada, there were entries into the world of ‘mods’, but none more close than the “Lord of the Bullet” (charger) from that charming, beautiful place.

At first there were only nine working units in the world. To save the technology, he scattered seven of the nine far and wide. The only one to work and NOT be bogged down by the dreaded ‘Inverter’, it was sought by many and had but only a few. ALL HAIL, ‘wheel_nut’, the ‘moderator’ and the Lord of the Bullet (charger), without whom our precious charger would not have been ‘forged’. Many have come forth branding themselves as an HP TP friend, most failed. See below:

Okay sometimes I crack myself up.... but this solution would have saved me $100s of wasted trial and error purchases. (hate to send things back...hence so many early 'gifts' this year for all my friends' cars and their phones
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rick90680; 11/10/2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: PDF UPDATE
    Wheel_nut, mivoligo and Moboy1 like this.
    Oooooh, I want one of those. Actually I ordered that one after Wheel_nut's original post, but now I want it modified
    rick90680 likes this.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Wheel Nut save us..... group buy!!!
    Here are some shots of what I had to deal with BEFORE the wheel_nut Mod and then AFTER...
    And hey, it's my Birthday, best gift to ME!!...
    i can confirm that the car charger for the verizon droid will charge the touchpad while used at a VERY slow rate, but it'll charge. this will atleast let you keep using it without serious effect over a short term.

wheel_nut's solution looks most promising!
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    Oooooh, I want one of those. Actually I ordered that one after Wheel_nut's original post, but now I want it modified
    Gergev, I haven't managed to open the type that you have without breaking it so like you I have three of those in the bottom of my Toy-box.

The type that I am now using are easy to open at the Bezel and I am able to perform the rework laparoscopically through the aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    Wheel Nut save us..... group buy!!!
    PM me if you want one. I have ONE left.....
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatPanda View Post
    Also, this might work instead of having to self mod your chargers:

Barnes & Noble Nook Color filter plug for USB charger | eBay
    "might" is not a real confidence builder.

Has anyone tried one?
    Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    "might" is not a real confidence builder.

Has anyone tried one?
    I just emailed the guy to see if I can buy 6 at one time instead of just buying 1 for 7 bux. And hope he gives me a break on 6.

I have a feeling that these filters basically work like the resistors that wheelnut has been doing, but I'm not sure. I know that on the nook color forums people have used them with some success with ipad chargers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rick90680 View Post
    Here are some shots of what I had to deal with BEFORE the wheel_nut Mod and then AFTER...
    And hey, it's my Birthday, best gift to ME!!...
    Much Neater..
    "Happy Birthday".. same day as mine!

rick90680 likes this.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    The type that I am now using are easy to open at the Bezel and I am able to perform the rework laparoscopically through the aperture.
    Wheel_nut and RickV - thanks for going through all of that. I've been doing similar stuff and hadn't quite got the solution going yet. But you guys are on the right track and looks like you may have a winner.

I say looks like - cause I can't seem to find the actual relevant posts of yours.

Wheel_nut - would you be so kind as to start a new thread with a definitive title and maybe collect all of the information into the first post?

Namely, what was the device that you finally settled on - and what was the final mod.

I ask because the signal to noise in this thread is so poor until the 11th page or so. I was going to do that myself earlier - just so I could update the first post with actual solutions, so others would not have to wade through 1500 "this might work" posts.

Thanks!
    The nook color charger doesn't give the message on the android os, but does on the webos, so my error.

The charging rate is about 10 percent an hour. So, I imagine that's the trickle rate charge, so the nook stuff doesn't work.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Much Neater..
    "Happy Birthday".. same day as mine!

Mutoidi, then Happy B-day to you too!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatPanda View Post
    The nook color charger doesn't give the message on the android os, but does on the webos, so my error.

The charging rate is about 10 percent an hour. So, I imagine that's the trickle rate charge, so the nook stuff doesn't work.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.
    Hi Phatpanda, I have discussed earlier in this thread, that it is possible to build the signalling Potential Divider into a USB A Male to USB A Female adapter, or even a modified cable.

However, on reflection, I decided NOT to do this because the adapter (or modified cable) would signal to the TouchPad that it could draw up to 2.0 Amps from the PSU on the end of the cable. This could have catastrophic consequences if plugged into a PSU rated at only (say) 500 mA which is the USB 2.0 spec.

An analogy of the hazard which you will understand if you are familiar with the UK Ring Main system would be to put a 30A Fuse in the 13A Plug of an appliance. The 13A Fuse is there to protect the Line Cord which is rated at 13 A whereas the Wall outlet is capable of delivering 32A continuous current.

I therefore decided to ONLY build the Potential Divider into a PSU capable of delivering 2.1 Amps. Having tested the raw units at a full 2.1A load for 24 Hrs, I am sticking with the same supplier. If you read Rick90680's post of yesterday, you will see that he has also verified that these units will supply the TouchPad and Veer devices concurrently without going up in smoke.

Apologies for the long winded post but there have been some Heath Robinson suggestions in this and other threads which require caution.
    rick90680 likes this.
    This isn't really very practical, but what about plugging the touchstone into a car inverter, then charging. Any concerns about damaging the touchstone's circuitry?
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    This isn't really very practical, but what about plugging the touchstone into a car inverter, then charging. Any concerns about damaging the touchstone's circuitry?
    I don't have a Touchstone to play with.. (but I'm LoL'ing at the idea of trying to keep that lot 'together' whilst cornering hard in a car!).. however this guy has pulled one apart:

Hewball.com.au » Touchpad Touchstone Dismantled

(Incidentally.. it looks like there is considerable shielding 'behind' that charging coil!)

I imagine the TP itself would be 'safe' (as it is in effect insulated from 'direct' AC square wave current input by the Touchstone?) and also that the Touchstone is designed to cope with some AC noise and fluctuation.

Wing_nut?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/11/2011 at 02:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I have one of Wheel_nut's TouchPad modified car adapters. It is worth every penny, excellent quality. I have been able to charge my TouchPad and Pre2 simultaneously with this unit. If you have a need to charge your TouchPad on the go I would PM Wheel_nut and encourage him to make more.

Great work Wheel_nut, it is members like you that make the webOS community worth supporting.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Wheel_nut and rick90680 like this.
    The TP upright on the touchstone, with something soft like a towel wedged in front would keep it from falling forward and on the car seat. I already have a car inverter, so it might work in a pinch.
    Have also asked Wheel_nut for a modded car adapter.
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast