Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes
    New member reporting in. Just bought those Griffin USB powerjolt (2 port)P2275 but it wont charge my Sony Ericsson phone and garmin GPS. yes, both of them detect there's a connection to the USB, but it just detect as it connected to normal USB data port and not meant for high powered >500 mA charging.

Any successful mod to those griffin usb charger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Wot, Like this but compatible with the TouchPad Charging Spec ....
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $only$ $reliable$ $and$ $working$ $solution$ $is$ $the$ $one$ $that$ $Wilywyrm$ $Rickv$ $and$ $I$ $have$ $verified$ $in$ $this$ $thread$. $Note$ $that$ $Rickv$ $has$ $modified$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $type$ $that$ $I$ $originally$ $suggested$ $but$ $the$ $one$ $I$ $have$ $illustrated$ $here$ $is$ $easier$ $to$ $open$ $without$ $breaking$ $too$ $much$! $After$ $completely$ $dismantling$ $the$ $first$ $one$, $I$ $have$ $managed$ $to$ $modify$ $the$ $rest$ $by$ $removing$ $the$ $front$ $cover$ $and$ $performing$ $the$ $modifications$ &$quot$;$laparoscopically$&$quot$;.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    HEAPS like that.. exactly yes!!
    There are now Nine of these in captivity afaikafaikafaik. $Rickv$ $has$ $one$, $Wilywyrm$ $one$, $I$ $have$ $one$, $my$ $friend$ $the$ $HP$ $Executive$ $who$ $got$ $me$ $the$ $TouchPad$ $has$ $one$, $Two$ $are$ $going$ $to$ $Irvine$ $California$, $One$ $to$ $Massachusetts$, $One$ $to$ $Stanton$ $California$ ... $and$ $that$ $leaves$ $ONE$ $in$ $my$ $possession$.

Should I leave it beside mine in the hope that they will breed .... or do you have a better suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by eddyann View Post
    New member reporting in. Just bought those Griffin USB powerjolt (2 port)P2275 but it wont charge my Sony Ericsson phone and garmin GPS. yes, both of them detect there's a connection to the USB, but it just detect as it connected to normal USB data port and not meant for high powered >500 mA charging.

Any successful mod to those griffin usb charger?
    Eddyann, The biggest challenge for somebody who is competent with a Soldering Iron, is opening the device without destroying the case. Once inside, the modification is fairly straightforward though it usually requires the removal of four tiny Surface Mounted Resistors and adding two axial Resistors. Then you need to thoroughly test it to ensure that it doesn't fry your TouchPad when you plug it in.

I don't know the Griffin device but if you are considering modifying but the device I use as a base is so cheap that you would be better buying that. If you like, I can post a picture of the innards and instructions on what to modify.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 11/01/2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Massachusetts not Maryland!
    Verell likes this.
    Hehe! I reckon they might breed! (Sounds like they already HAVE been actually!)
    I got a cheapy ($5) double socket USB unit from the local Supermarket.. and it very sensibly had two screws holding it together!
    No kitchen knife violence or endoscopy required!

so let me understand:

will a charger (car 12v to 2.1A out) charge a touchpad via USB?

if not, then I will try a 12v to 110v inverter with the wall charger ...will THAT work ?
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    so let me understand:

if not, then I will try a 12v to 110v inverter with the wall charger ...will THAT work ?
    It will charge it slowly (ie. not at 2Amps) unless you do the mods worked out here.

Inverter with HP wall charger is bulkier, but will work faster.. yes!

Whatever any of you settle on, just remember you need clean power. Your TP really can't be replaced. Many have shown a modified 12v to USB adapter. Some have found an adapter that may put out 2A. For myself I will still use the 17.00 inverter with the TP's A/C plug. In this manor I KNOW for sure that the transformer in the TP's A/C plug will at the very least give the best attempt at clean power. With TP A/C plugs to be had for little money, I have several now. I just use one of those.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    FinallyPre, Whereas it may seem like the safest option to use the TouchPad Barrel PSU with an Inverter, there is a fallacy to your argument.

The Barrel PSU does not have a 50/60Hz Transformer in it. Like all modern PSUs, it is a Switched Mode Power Supply and is designed to operate from a reasonably clean Sunusoidal a.c. Power source. The filters are designed to cope with the harmonics generated by the High Frequency converter (in the KHz range) rather than the Low Frequency Harmonics created by the non-sinusoidal 12V d.c to 110/230Vac Inverter. To try an explain this, the Inverter creates a series of steps on the sine wave which if analysed, contains some horrible harmonics which may well pass through the Barrel PSU Filters in addition to perhaps damaging the Barrel PSU internally.

In comparison, the 13.8V from the Cigar outlet on a car is relatively clean mainly because it has to be "suppressed" to avoid interference with the Car Radio. Yes, compared with a battery source, it is very dirty but I would argue that it is not as hazardous as you argue it is.

I am NOT recommending that anybody selects the Cigar adaptor over the Inverter solution. I am simply illustrating that both solutions have potential hazards and you all make your own choice.
    rick90680 likes this.
    Yes.. most Automotive (Alternator charged) 12/24v suplies are well smoothed DC current by the time it hits the cigarette lighter socket. Without the engine running, it is of course totally 'pure' DC battery power! I think the lead acid battery 'soaks up' any fluctuations anyway?

what does this thing do? I have a 10 USB2 strip separately powered. The charger for my Veer wants the USB directly, I assume due to low power on the strip. Will this fix it? Also, is there a difference between the usb input amperage required for the Veer and the Touchpad (which is still sitting in its box waiting to see life) ...by the way, the Veer is very good excepting the need to scroll web pages and zoom them all the time ...would LOVE to have OperaMini for the Veer ...alas, they are in love with the ifone and androoloid ...I am not.
    oh yes, if I pay for an app on the Veer, do I hafta pay again to get it on my Touchpad? ...also, does Voogle or VoogleXP work? (yes, I know the Veer has no front camera, but my Pre3 is on the way)...
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    This might be a good solution if you go the inverter route:

Click to view quoted image

80 Watt Continuous/200 Watt Peak Slim Power Inverter

Only $17 in the Harbor Freight Store (add $6 for S&H if you order online)
    ebay has it for $15.00
    I know the Harbor Freight stuff very well. I would not put my TP on such an inverter if my life depended on it...

The Griffin P2275 still works very well for me with the mod. Also a friend of mine who has a power analyzer at his disposal has made a check for me on the mod and he says it can't get any better in terms of clean current in the car. Through testing we have been able to put a load on the cigarette adaptor and pull 2.3 amps out of it... So with the mod I can definitely assure you this is as good (if not better) as the barrel PSU that comes with the TP.
    I can also confirm from testing Wheel_Nut's statement on the PSU not being regulated, and not having the ability to smooth out the qualkty of the current a non lure sin wave inverter would generate. Regulated power supplies are usually huge honking pieces of very expensive hardware which is definitely not the case of the barrel PSU.
    Now please guys RTFT and have a look at the pics and graphs we posted.
    Hope this helps

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Wheel_nut and scobb like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    so let me understand:

Patapoof,

I have bought and tried 'several' from generic, cheapies, to brand name, Kensington, Joy, Griffin, etc.... NONE of them have worked (other than possible trickle charge). Unlike a few here that are actually in the 'know' electronically wise, I am just a user/consumer that just wants what should be EASY!, but is not.

I did try 3 different inverters... 2 Cobra and one targus (between 100-150 watts). The only one that worked for me (BOTH the USB without the TP Barrel AC and the AC with the TP Barrel) was the Cobra (Amazon.com: Cobra CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter (Black): Automotive) CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter. BETTER than MOST, but not optimal. (see earlier post for details).

Update: When I say 'worked', I get about 12% per hour of charge (on but minimal use), maybe just under 14%, unit off. This is using the USB port of the inverter. I can't tell, but at that rate, it is probalby 1a, if not less. Again, it works, BUT...I know I can use the AC on the inverter, I am just just too stubborn to add the barrel to the inverter and plug into the cig lighter... I WANT TO USE MY USB!

I am still looking for the holy grail, and, I think Wheel-nut has forged it
    Last edited by rick90680; 11/05/2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Update on the output...
    Quote Originally Posted by rick90680 View Post
    Patapoof,

I have bought and tried 'several' from generic, cheapies, to brand name, Kensington, Joy, Griffin, etc.... NONE of them have worked (other than possible trickle charge). Unlike a few here that are actually in the 'know' electronically wise, I am just a user/consumer that just wants what should be EASY!, but is not.

I did try 3 different inverters... 2 Cobra and one targus (between 100-150 watts). The only one that worked for me (BOTH the USB without the TP Barrel AC and the AC with the TP Barrel) was the Cobra (Amazon.com: Cobra CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter (Black): Automotive) CPI-150 Micro Port 150 Watt Power Inverter. BETTER than MOST, but not optimal. (see earlier post for details).
    I've got an old Jensen inverter I bought for cheap about 10 years ago, and it charges my TP using the barrel AC, but after reading a couple of the previous posts, I won't be using it anymore.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3202578

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3203615

I wish I had the parts & detailed instructions, like a youtube, to mod an existing USB car charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    I've got an old Jensen inverter I bought for cheap about 10 years ago, and it charges my TP using the barrel AC, but after reading a couple of the previous posts, I won't be using it anymore.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3202578

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3203615

I wish I had the parts & detailed instructions, like a youtube, to mod an existing USB car charger.
    You need two resistors, (tweezers) and a small soldering iron.
    Trouble is that there are probably many slightly different Printed Circuit Boards and configurations in each of the many 'brands' available.. ie. no 'standard' pattern to go by?

In fact if you read the posts here carefully everything you need to know is there already.

Maybe just check out 'Wheel_Nut' @ post 175?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    You need two resistors, (tweezers) and a small soldering iron.
    Trouble is that there are probably many slightly different Printed Circuit Boards and configurations in each of the many 'brands' available.. ie. no 'standard' pattern to go by?

In fact if you read the posts here carefully everything you need to know is there already.

Maybe just check out 'Wheel_Nut' @ post 175?

Yeah, you're right. I'd probably fry my TP anyway trying out a diy mod, having not much experience in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I'd probably fry my TP anyway trying out a diy mod, having not much experience in this.
    Yep.. be crazy to risk frying your valued TP in an effort NOT to fry your valued TP, indeed!

rick90680 likes this.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Tried out the Pre car charger. It doesn't put the Touchpad into charge mode (battery symbol with a lightning bolt followed by an alert tone) and pops up a message saying it MAY not charge the Touchpad. Well, it DOESN'T charge a Touchpad....

Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    The Pre charger should work adequately for keeping the Touchpad topped off while watching videos on the road, but would probably be a poor solution for recharging a mostly discharged unit. olt)

Not being a 2amp 5v charger, it would would take a L O N G time to charge a Touchpad from empty to full - perhaps 6 hours or more.
    Try running govnah or Dr battery to see the current difference. I connected a standard USB cable between my cig lighter USB adapter and my touchpad. With the display on at minimum brightness it was a very slight positive number for charge current. Display off or device off it would probably not be a horrible option on the cheap. If you're trying to use it at the time tho it will barely maintain the current charge level. If you really want to charge it from car try an inverter and the official power adapter.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    '..If you really want to charge it from car try an inverter and the official power adapter..'

Please see 'RICKV' @ Post #169 here:

"..Just be extremely careful with inverters, especially low costs ones.."

Etc..

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast