Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By michote
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have a question for anyone who's using a BT keyboard with their Touchpad. Does page down/up work for you to do anything useful? I only have an Apple BT keyboard on hand, and Fn + up arrow and Fn + down arrow (page up and down respectively on said keyboard) do nothing as far as I can tell. I tested this with a PDF in Adobe and in the browser.

I see that the official HP BT keyboard does not even *have* page up and down. That makes me think this answer is "no". I suppose the lingering question then is does a "proper" page up/down on a large-scale keyboard work?

On a side note, not even the arrows on this keyboard worked to scroll the browser. Is that the case as well with the HP keyboard? How could scrolling through a web page with the arrows not work?
    There's a lot of limitations to the keyboard. I was hopeful they'd add more functionality because the less you have to poke at the screen while at your desk the better. Doesn't look likely now though.
    I have use the Fn and down arrow keys to make it move page down with my mini bluetooth keyboard, Also page up works.

I'm also able to use "esc" to go back a page when in the browser.

Also using backspace will move up the screen a little bit on each tap.

Not sure about the pdf files.
    Last edited by djgardn2; 08/20/2011 at 11:07 PM.
    I'm pretty happy with the keyboard, although I only bought it today with part of the $450 I got back with my low price guarantee for my launch day purchase at full price.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post
    I have use the Fn and down arrow keys to make it move page down with my mini bluetooth keyboard, Also page up works.

If you happen to find yourself looking at a PDF file on your TP while your BT keyboard is conveniently already connected anytime in the near future (I'm guessing slim chances :-) ), I would love to hear if it works. I'm wondering if there is any chance a specific BT footswitch (AirTurn) will work for paging through music (in PDF format). The investment is a bit too high to buy it on the off-chance it works, especially if there is a good chance that Adobe Reader on TP does not even support page up/down. I'm hoping someone with a keyboard can easily test the PDF/page up/down thing.

For the record, I've contacted AirTurn and they say they are currently testing for the TP, but who knows if they will follow through now.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by djgardn2 View Post

Okay so had my friend test it out on the TouchPad seems it doesn't work.

It only works for 2.x.x devices. Sorry, I will let you know when I get to play around with it next.
    I too am trying to find a way to use the Airturn with the HP Touch pad. I am a musician and it would be ideal for me. I have my music loaded on the touch pad and it has made my life easier already but if I could just the Airturn it would be the icing on the cake.
    I have researched some aspects of this and from I understand it will not work.
    Someone told me that if I make my touch pad Android it might work then but I do't want to do that without knowing it will work. Does anyone out there have any other information about this?
    Thanks
    tutti-55
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tutti-55 View Post
    I too am trying to find a way to use the Airturn with the HP Touch pad. I am a musician and it would be ideal for me. I have my music loaded on the touch pad and it has made my life easier already but if I could just the Airturn it would be the icing on the cake.
    I have researched some aspects of this and from I understand it will not work.
    Someone told me that if I make my touch pad Android it might work then but I do't want to do that without knowing it will work. Does anyone out there have any other information about this?
    Thanks
    tutti-55
    I am convinced it is not possible with the current selection of apps. I had an email exchange with someone at airturn, and I did some extensive testing with a bluetooth keyboard. The main issue seems to be that no pdf reader for webOS recognizes arrow keys for page turns. I don't have the full list of everything I tried. It included Picsel smartoffice (which is useless without a single page view, it uses some screwy continuous view). I also hoped for something homebrew but found nothing. There is a nice ereader in the homebrew market but it doesn't support pdf (sorry, but the name escapes me now and it's late here).

I feel like it's technically possible as the TP knows about the up and down arrow keys. Who knows? Someone may write something yet. As for me, I am typing this on my new Galaxy Tab 8.9 which now will be used for music. It will work with my Footime pedal which is USB. Even on android, you really have to search for an app that works with keyboard page turn. Adobe pdf reader won't do it on webOS or android.

As an aside, I discovered in testing the Airturn sends the up and down arrow keys while the Footime sends page up and page down. Guess how many pdf readers on android actually work with both sets? I purchased and returned about five apps in addition to several free ones before I settled on the Mantano reader for the Footime. But that one night of work was better than the days of research it took to convince myself the TP just can't do what I need a this time. :-(

Regarding loading android on your TP, it should work. You can use the Airturn with ebookdroid. Don't expect fast page turns though. Seems like no pdf reader on android that works with keyboard input supplies this. The idea of installing android in place of webOS is still sad, even with limitations considered. I hate multitasking in android now!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Btw, I just discovered this bluetooth pedal:

Amazon.com: PageFlip Cicada Bluetooth Pedal Automatic Page Turner: Musical Instruments

It let's you set what keys it sends! This probably stands the best chance of working with the TP as it can also send spacebar and backspace. And if you end up going android it will work with more readers. Downside is it works with AA batteries.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have received my PageFlip Cicada and tested it with the Touchpad. In the end, I believe I've proven no application for webOS is available right now that will work with a page turner in a way that is practical for a musician. Details of what I tested follow if anyone cares. tutti-55, I can confidently say that right now your only option for using your Touchpad for music reading is to install Android on it. If you do this, I have a recommendation at the bottom.

As far as I can tell, there are two applications that will open a PDF. One is Adobe Reader. No keyboard input appears to change pages in it. The other is Picsel Smart Office. I *can* move through the document with the Cicada set to the arrow keys. But there are two major problems. One is it won't move by screen or page. Each key press just moves a little in the direction of the arrow. Two is the stupid view Smart Office uses. If you have four pages in your music, it by default shows the music 2x2. So you have to move to the right to go from page 1 to page 2, but then down and left to go from page 2 to page 3. If you have two pages in your music, it shows the music 1x2! So you can get by just using the up and down arrow keys. If this frustrating office software would show you a PDF one page at a time, it might work with the arrow keys. But I'm guessing we won't see such an update.

With the two PDF viewers off the table, the only other option I saw was possibly converting all your PDFs to ePub and using pReader. I installed the alpha version of pReader from Preware (0.9.15) and copied over a small ePub for testing. You can move forward, but not backwards! You do this by setting the Cicada to spacebar and enter. Spacebar will move forward by a page. Nothing will go backwards. Page up and page down move the page (since the page is in full screen it just "bounces" the page and puts it back where it was), but will not switch from the page. (It appears that in webOS page up and down will only work in a continuous scroll context. Like if you load up the options for pReader, page up and down move the settings view up and down.) This obviously removes pReader as a viable option. You have to go in to the settings for Scrolling to turn on moving by keys. There are three buttons under that setting, and two of them appear like they could be used to assign the next and prev page keys, but I could not get these to do anything. However, even if you could get this to work, who wants to convert all their PDFs to ePubs??

There is one more e-reader that shows up in the catalog as working with ePubs, but it costs $0.99, and I'm not willing to pay for this to test it out. I'm almost certain it won't work with keys anyway.

If anyone goes with Android, I highly recommend EBookDroid. I do so because out of many PDF readers I tried from the Android market, this is the only one that supplies a setting to tell the software to cache pages in memory. All other readers render the page every page turn, and this is slow. I told EBookDroid to cache 20 pages at a time, and switching is super fast. If you use EBookDroid, it works with the up and down arrow keys. So you can use either the Cicada or the AirTurn (I prefer the Cicada because it also allows you to send other keys, making it more future-proof). Disclaimer: I cannot speak to the speed or performance when Android is run on the Touchpad. I am wholly unfamiliar with how to do that.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I hacked the the Standard-TP-PDF-Viewer to use PageUp/Down or arrow-Keys to junp to the next page.
    Anybody still interessted how to archive this?
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
    I personally don't have a current need for it, but would be cool if you could post how you did this. I can see times when I may have a use for it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Ok,
    you need write-access to
    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar/source/PxxArea.jsjsjs
    I used ssh, Internalz Pro should work as well.
    you have to add some line of code.

add after line 33 in a new line:
    Code:
    {kind: "ApplicationEvents", onKeydown: "handleKeyPress"}
    add after line 84:
    Code:
        handleKeyPress: function(inSender, inEvent) {
            k = inEvent.keyCode
            if (k===33 || k===38 || k===37 || k===32) { // PageUp
                this.goPrev();
            } else if (k===34 || k===40 || k===39 || k===13) { // PageDown
                this.goNext();
            };
        },
    this is triggers next or prev Page for PageUp/Down (33/34), Up/Down Arrow (38,40), Left/Right Arrow (37/39), Enter/Space(13/32).
    Enjoy.
    Touchpad 32GB and Veer | my app MySongBook | my Dark Glass Theme | apps involved in: OrganizeMe!, ReadOnTouch
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.