Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SCtrojan
  • 1 Post By chokey154
  • 1 Post By sd_matto
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know if IPAD1 Otterbox cases will fit the touchpad?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I would be very surprised, as the otterbox are usually pretty specific to size and shape.
    I know they are very close, but the amount it is curved on the back and such make a difference too.
    Hopefully someone can report back if they give this a go. I'm looking for tough case as my son will invariably get his little hands on my TP at one point or another.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    I'd be very interested in finding this out too. They're pricey, but so worth it. And it doesn't sound like Otterbox will be making a specific HP one now. Any updates on the fit?
    I was hoping it would so I ordered one from Verizon ($20). I got it today and it does NOT work with the Touchpad. The problem is the curvature of the touchpad is slightly different from the ipad and the Otterbox has a hard plastic exo skeleton that won't accept it. It is extremely well built, too bad we won't be seeing one built for our beloved $99 tablet.
    hailredskins#AC likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCtrojan View Post
    I was hoping it would so I ordered one from Verizon ($20). I got it today and it does NOT work with the Touchpad. The problem is the curvature of the touchpad is slightly different from the ipad and the Otterbox has a hard plastic exo skeleton that won't accept it. It is extremely well built, too bad we won't be seeing one built for our beloved $99 tablet.
    thanks for going through the trouble.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SCtrojan View Post
    Was this the Defender case? Can it be modifed to work? like sand down the edges that make contact to the top so there is more room? cut here or there where it wont be seen?

Thanks for any info.
    Just wanted to post my find. I bought the Otterbox for the iPad1 at Target for $44 (clearance). Tried it on my Touchpad and it would not fit! I shoved it in about 1/4 the way in and it was too much stress on the case. Can it be sanded down? It would probably work best with a type of dremmel tool, hand sanding may take a while. I might repurchase it just to try this out as the Ottherbox case looked very nice.

Edit:Just found out they sell for about $20 on Ebay. I'm glad I returned it to target.

Edit2:Bought one for $20 on ebay, I'll post the mod when done.
    Last edited by chokey154; 09/01/2011 at 01:48 PM.
    steig#WN likes this.
    what about the otterbox for samsung galaxy would it fit the touchpad ?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Looks the the sizes are not close enough for the Samsung otterbox to work.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chokey154 View Post
    Just wanted to post my find. I bought the Otterbox for the iPad1 at Target for $44 (clearance). Tried it on my Touchpad and it would not fit! I shoved it in about 1/4 the way in and it was too much stress on the case. Can it be sanded down? It would probably work best with a type of dremmel tool, hand sanding may take a while. I might repurchase it just to try this out as the Ottherbox case looked very nice.

Edit:Just found out they sell for about $20 on Ebay. I'm glad I returned it to target.

Edit2:Bought one for $20 on ebay, I'll post the mod when done.
    Did you end up doing the mod? And, did it work?

Thanks for letting us know, one way or another.
    T-Padlock likes this.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I got to look at the IPad Defender case and it looks like it will be hard to modify as half the case is one piece top and bottom so you cannot easily grind or cut, but my TP should show up this week so I can look into it more next weekend.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Unfortunately this will not work without a good bit of modding. I dont think sanding it down will work as described. The only way I see possible would be to glue all the pieces in place and then cut in half, or cut the back panel off, and then rather than slide it in from the top you might be able to sandwich it between the pieces and the silicone wrap may hold it all together. If anyone would like pics I may be able to put some up this weekend.

I got my case from Verizon for $10 with the free 2 day shipping if anyone else is still looking to give this a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSullivan View Post
    Unfortunately this will not work without a good bit of modding. I dont think sanding it down will work as described. The only way I see possible would be to glue all the pieces in place and then cut in half, or cut the back panel off, and then rather than slide it in from the top you might be able to sandwich it between the pieces and the silicone wrap may hold it all together. If anyone would like pics I may be able to put some up this weekend.

I got my case from Verizon for $10 with the free 2 day shipping if anyone else is still looking to give this a shot.
    Can you provide a link? I can't find it on verizon's website.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I had a link to it, but it no longer seems to work so they may have cleared their inventory. I bought it a couple of weeks ago so it's possible.
    Accessories | Verizon Wireless
    No matter what you do it won't work, the major differences between the TP and the iPad make it non viable. The ipad has vertical sides, a flatter back panel and is thinner so the thicker curvier TP with sharply bevelled sides will not fit. None of this matters if you have a flexible case but on a hard plastic one, unless you are a modelling/diy genius with more spare time than sense, you're going to end up with a mess if you try to mod it.

I've tried with a Griffin Standle case, dremel - hot air gun - brute force even! it just won't work.
    I just got hold (finally) of a touchpad (...from a guy who gave up on trying to get a high price for an unused one from the sale ...) and was thinking about this, spent a while searching for alternatives and came across THIS

It might work as the silicone is INSIDE the rigid plastic case, whereas the Otterbox gear has it on the outside...plus the rigid part is more accessible for Mr.Dremel to get his mitts on if the silicone doesn't squish enough at the first attempt.

I will get one to try it out...as soon as I get some $$$
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thinking about it further I doubt any hard molded plastic cases will work, the shape is just too different. Otterbox also has a series that looks like that one, called commuter.
    Any updates to these attempts? Otterbox cases are going pretty cheap on ebay (under $20), sure would be nice to protect my Touchpad, even if it took some work.